JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

Climbing Mt. Fuji. - 07-04-2008, 01:48 PM

Well, from what I understand it's not really "climbing" so much as "walking", but anyways... I have some questions:

* When is it the best time to do it? I understand it's prohibited winter-time?

* Do you need guides, etc. ? Or is it possible to do alone, or with a group of friends? If you do need guides, are they very pricey?

* What about japanese rules&regulations regarding camping etc, is it permitted to camp in the wild?

I'll be in Japan Sept '08 - July '09.

なんでやねん!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jwagner120787 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jwagner120787 Send a message via MSN to jwagner120787 Send a message via Yahoo to jwagner120787 Send a message via Skype™ to jwagner120787
05-19-2009, 02:41 PM

I know this is an old topic, but it is relevant.
I, too, was considering a visit/climb to Mt. Fuji during my one-month stay in Japan next year.

My questions are almost identical, so I'll just bump this topic, and hope for an answer.

Also, how long does it take to climb Mt. Fuji?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2009, 03:22 PM

You'll find all the info you need here :
Climb Mt. Fuji

It'll take 5 to 6 hours from the 5th station to the summit.

A word of warning however. The mountain gets very crowded during the peak season of July and August. As you near the top, it'll start to resemble a waiting line at a bank as you move upwards at a snails pace.

Personally, my plan is to climb it this November. I'd rather climb up from the base and carry a tent, sleeping bag, etc. than face the summer crowds.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jwagner120787 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jwagner120787 Send a message via MSN to jwagner120787 Send a message via Yahoo to jwagner120787 Send a message via Skype™ to jwagner120787
05-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
You'll find all the info you need here :
Climb Mt. Fuji

It'll take 5 to 6 hours from the 5th station to the summit.

A word of warning however. The mountain gets very crowded during the peak season of July and August. As you near the top, it'll start to resemble a waiting line at a bank as you move upwards at a snails pace.

Personally, my plan is to climb it this November. I'd rather climb up from the base and carry a tent, sleeping bag, etc. than face the summer crowds.
It takes how long, from the base?
About 15-20 hours for the traditional climb?
or is it 15-20 + the 5-6 from the 5th summit?
Sorry. It's a little confusing, even after reading it a few times.

Thanks for your help though
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2009, 04:19 PM

The vast majority of climbers take a vehicle to the 5th station and climb up from there. It takes 5 to 6 hrs on average so a round trip from the 5th station will take 10 to 12hrs. ie. A very long day but definitely possible.

If you're really enthusiastic, you can start from the base, hike 5 to 6hrs to the 5th station, crash for the night, climb Mt. Fuji the following day and descend all the way to the base.

Oh, here's a pic I found :

Just imagine being stuck in this lineup for 5hrs. Rubbing shoulder to shoulder with all those Mont Bell-wearing sheep.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jwagner120787 (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
The vast majority of climbers take a vehicle to the 5th station and climb up from there. It takes 5 to 6 hrs on average so a round trip from the 5th station will take 10 to 12hrs. ie. A very long day but definitely possible.

If you're really enthusiastic, you can start from the base, hike 5 to 6hrs to the 5th station, crash for the night, climb Mt. Fuji the following day and descend all the way to the base.

Oh, here's a pic I found :

Just imagine being stuck in this lineup for 5hrs. Rubbing shoulder to shoulder with all those Mont Bell-wearing sheep.
1) Can't see a link to a pic
2) So it's about 12 hours from the base to the top [6 hours to 5th station, and 6 hours to top]. And 5th station in the middle. Doesn't seem like too bad of a trip

Thanks so much for your help.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2009, 10:48 PM

Hmm. Here's the pic :
http://www.japanwindow.com/images/20...809_fuji10.jpg

Yup. Around 12 hours from base to summit but don't forget to calculate the time required to descend.

BTW, 3000m of elevation gain is pretty taxing if you aren't used to the altitude. I live at 1200m and my friends from sea level notice the lack of oxygen after one flight of stairs.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Tarto (Offline)
New to JF

05-20-2009, 12:25 AM

Hey

I've climbed it twice, and will most likely do it again this year.

Here are a few quick tips:

* There's no actual climbing involved, it's just a hike. However, bringing your own hiking stick is highly recommended. Don't buy the heavy, shitty wooden sticks they sell at the 5th stations.

* Don't forget a flashlight, warm clothes (and I mean WARM) and rain gear.

* It's not prohibited in winter, but all mountain huts are closed, the trails must be covered with snow, and temperatures must be significantly lower. It's definitely possible, but I guess it gets closer to climbing than hiking and requires PROPER preparation...

* You don't need a guide.

* That one may sound obvious, but don't take the wrong trail when you descend.

* There are four trails starting from different altitudes, the required time to reach the summit greatly varies depending on which trail you choose.

* There's no real point in starting from the base unless you make a point of doing so. The "standard" way to do it: start from the 5th station in early afternoon (you'll have to adapt the time depending on which trail you choose), reach a mountain hut (the higher the better) around 7pm, rest for a couple hours, leave around 2:30am (again, adapt the time depending on the remaining distance), wait at the summit for the sunrise (around 5am).

* I don't know the exact regulations about camping, but last year I saw two guys setting up their tent next to a mountain hut.

* This has been said above, but avoid the weekends and national holidays at all cost. I climbed twice on a friday (last friday of august) and it wasn't crowded at all, especially last year but the weather was really average then.

* Mountain huts: reservation is mandatory, make sure you book a couple weeks ahead. It's 6000 yen per person and per night, each meal costs an additional 1000 yen. However, considering the quality and size of the "meals", I would recommend you bring your own bento.

* Altitude sickness: there's no way to know whether you'll suffer from it or not. Most people just have a headache but it can be much worse if you're unlucky. A friend of mine described it as a bad hangover, and I experienced it badly the first time. One thing you can do is take a one hour break when you arrive at the fifth station. And then climb SLOWLY.

Besides, I wrote a post on my blog about the hike, with more details and pictures of the subashiri trail, check it out, it's listed in the "Must read" section in the left column. It should give you an idea of what to expect.

Here are two good links with tons of information if you can read Japanese:
http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/fujisan/
http://www.tozan.org/fuji/

Last edited by Tarto : 05-20-2009 at 12:28 AM.