JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sometimesno (Offline)
New to JF

cheap brands in Japan?? - 08-01-2008, 07:49 PM

Good evening everyone

I'm going to Japan in a few weeks and I want to buy clothes.
What brands are in Japan cheaper than in Europe?

Cu,
Sometimeno
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-01-2008, 08:11 PM

Japan isn't really the place to go to buy cheap clothes.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Crea (Offline)
JF Regular

08-01-2008, 08:57 PM

MMM is right, Japan isn't really known for cheap shopping.

But what's your definition of "cheap"?

If simply comparing prices in Japan and Europe, any European-based Japanese designer (eg. Yohji Yamamoto, Comme des Garcons, Tsumori Chisato, etc) would be MUCH cheaper in Japan simply because they are locally made. A sales associate for Yohji told me that prices are twice as expensive in Paris, and three times as expensive in New York. Similarly, Japan-originated brands like BAPE and Undercover are also cheaper in Japan. So if you're into those styles/brands, I would definitely stock up, although they are by no means "cheap" even in Japan. And somehow I don't think that's what you meant by "cheap shopping" so I should stop babbling.

So again depending on what you call "cheap," I'd say a one-piece dress or nice shirt for around 5000-10000 yen, or a graphic-tee for 2500 yen is considered normal these days. If that's a manageable price range for you, you'd find good shopping places sprinkled all around. Specifically, shops like United Arrows and Beams (chain stores, you'd find them all over) have good selections.

If you're going to Tokyo, Shibuya 109 is a popular shopping destination for young women but they have a pretty distinctive style that not everyone likes, and prices vary. You could find some bargains there though. Takeshita St. at Harajuku also has both expensive and affordable clothing that are worth checking out.

You can also check out Uniqlo (esp. their design-t-shirt-only store unique to Harajuku--great selection and last I went prices were slightly over 2000 yen a piece), I don't know how the prices compare to the UK and French Uniqlos, but I'm guessing they'd be cheaper in Japan.

In a few weeks, you might also luck out with summer sales at department stores like Parco and Seibu and the above mentioned Shibuya 109.

If you like vintage clothing, Shimokitazawa is famous for small boutiques and used-clothing stores.

Oops sorry for the long post....but I love shopping.....
But again it all depends what kind of clothing and budget you're looking for. If you can elaborate, I could try to point you to some more specific places.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crea
So again depending on what you call "cheap," I'd say a one-piece dress or nice shirt for around 5000-10000 yen, or a graphic-tee for 2500 yen is considered normal these days. If that's a manageable price range for you, you'd find good shopping places sprinkled all around. Specifically, shops like United Arrows and Beams (chain stores, you'd find them all over) have good selections.

If you're going to Tokyo, Shibuya 109 is a popular shopping destination for young women but they have a pretty distinctive style that not everyone likes, and prices vary. You could find some bargains there though. Takeshita St. at Harajuku also has both expensive and affordable clothing that are worth checking out.

You can also check out Uniqlo (esp. their design-t-shirt-only store unique to Harajuku--great selection and last I went prices were slightly over 2000 yen a piece), I don't know how the prices compare to the UK and French Uniqlos, but I'm guessing they'd be cheaper in Japan.
Damn. That is pretty good prices still compared to my country.

なんでやねん!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2008, 02:52 AM

There are used clothes stores too that have some pretty good deals on a huge variety of different dtyled clothing as well...

I
沖縄           My blog
(#6 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2008, 02:57 PM

If you're not talking about comparing between apple A and apple B, then I'd recommend you 2 quality clothings brands at reasonable prices.

UNIQLO
MUJI

Even if you are not buying, you should check out the MUJI stores when you see one. To me, they are like quality at their simpliest form.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyafriend View Post
If you're not talking about comparing between apple A and apple B, then I'd recommend you 2 quality clothings brands at reasonable prices.

UNIQLO
MUJI

Even if you are not buying, you should check out the MUJI stores when you see one. To me, they are like quality at their simpliest form.
Muji is so simple but it has EVERYTHING in it. I love that store. The stuff is pretty cheap too.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-04-2008, 02:39 PM

You can always try Jeans Mate if the age is right
(#9 (permalink))
Old
manners (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2008, 03:20 AM

Uniqlo

This store has a good range to shoose from and isn't too expensive. Trousers may not fit westerners though.

Have a nice day
My Japan Blog Do your own research because this is not advice.