JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   "Must-visit" places in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/17081-%22must-visit%22-places-japan.html)

Henbaka 07-09-2008 12:59 PM

"Must-visit" places in Japan

So, yeah. I'm gonna live in Tokyo for a year (exchange studies), and I'm kinda compiling a list of places I really want to visit during my stay (gotta have something to do while waiting...). I'm listing places outside of the immediate Tokyo area (as I will probably see most of that anyways).

What I got so far is :

* Kyoto
* Osaka
* Sapporo (seemed like the logical choice for Hokkaido)
* Nara (Want to see the deers)

I'm asking for some advice, if someone knows about a really special little or big town that would be nice to visit, then shoot! Please write why that specific place is worth a visit.

I was also thinking about going on a roadtrip thru Japan, perhaps with an old scooter or something (possible to get those cheap?), as cars probably are too expensive. Think that's possible or not? Are there many spots in Japan where you could just sleep in a tent and move on?

jrocka83 07-09-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henbaka (Post 531763)
So, yeah. I'm gonna live in Tokyo for a year (exchange studies), and I'm kinda compiling a list of places I really want to visit during my stay (gotta have something to do while waiting...). I'm listing places outside of the immediate Tokyo area (as I will probably see most of that anyways).

What I got so far is :

* Kyoto
* Osaka
* Nara (Want to see the deer)

I'm asking for some advice, if someone knows about a really special little or big town that would be nice to visit, then shoot! Please write why that specific place is worth a visit.

I was also thinking about going on a roadtrip thru Japan, perhaps with an old scooter or something (possible to get those cheap?), as cars probably are too expensive. Think that's possible or not? Are there many spots in Japan where you could just sleep in a tent and move on?

You should see the Kamakura Buddha at least once. you will recieve alot of good Karma if you do:) .

Henbaka 07-09-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrocka83 (Post 531765)
You should see the Kamakura Buddha at least once. you will recieve alot of good Karma if you do:) .

Oh, yeah I've heard about that one. Great! :)

godwine 07-09-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henbaka (Post 531763)

What I got so far is :

* Kyoto
* Osaka
* Nara (Want to see the deers)

Himeji is not far from Osaka, so try to give that a shot when you are there

If you are into the big outdoor field/flower type location, go to Furano while you are in Hokkaido

MMM 07-09-2008 07:58 PM

The Dai-Butsu or Great Buddha in Nara is must see.

Henbaka 07-10-2008 07:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 532047)
The Dai-Butsu or Great Buddha in Nara is must see.

I'll be sure to visit that when I'm in Nara then!

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 531827)
Himeji is not far from Osaka, so try to give that a shot when you are there

If you are into the big outdoor field/flower type location, go to Furano while you are in Hokkaido

I wiki'ed Himeji, seems like a cool place.

Thanks, Furano sounds like a place I wanna pass by then :)

godwine 07-10-2008 10:15 AM

Hiroshima and Miyajima is a bit far, but I think Miyajima is worth visiting....

Henbaka 07-10-2008 10:35 AM

Wow, nice. These are exactly the kinds of suggestions I wanted :)

Anyone got any thoughts of the possibility of going thru japan by scooter? Like regulations on where you can put up tents, and whatnot..

samurai007 07-11-2008 08:15 AM

You really should try to visit Mt Koya in Wakayama-ken... it's an amazing place! And you can stay in a Buddhist monastery overnight, eat the monk's vegetarian mountain vegetable cuisine, and see the oldest (and IMO by far the best) cemetery in all of Japan.

Wasabista 07-11-2008 11:34 AM

Sounds like a good list so far. I also recommend Kanazawa, a very pretty town reminiscent of Kyoto's Gion district. Also go to a good onsen at least once.