LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-21-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abernachy View Post
All righty, I'll definitely act myself then.

It is unfortunate to see that there are military members acting like complete assholes, ( I wonder if its Marines...) rest assured I'm not one of them, if anything I'll just be running around looking at the sites and places of interest, if I'm gonna drink I'll be doing it on base ( Yea..if I go drinking off base, the whole country will pretty much learn everything about me which is something I don't need to happen again). I won't flaunting the military thing, if anything that will be the last thing that those around should learn, but if they do inquire then I'll just be truthful and tell them.
sounds like a plan...
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2008, 04:48 AM

The worst thing a Japanese would do you to if they don't know you is bump into you accidently in the streets.

The only place you're going to get a big reaction is if you're in a place where you are connected to other Japanese, like school or work. Other than that, the most they'll do to make you feel different is stare at you. Even so, while I was in Shibuya and Akihabara, I got almost no stares, but a billion when at school, if that helps put it better.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2008, 09:43 AM

Two points about the military thing.

First, you're probably aware that the US military has been cracking down hard on guys who start fights when out on leave. A single incident can now lead to dishonorable discharge. As a result I believe there is far less behaving badly in Roppongi than there used to be, and consequently you should run into less friction as a result of being US military. See how karma works?

Second, you're also probably aware that your unit does NOT want you to "flaunt the military thing." Keep a low profile. The days when GIs hung out in their fatigues on city streets smoking are long gone.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Abernachy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Abernachy Send a message via Skype™ to Abernachy
07-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post
Two points about the military thing.

First, you're probably aware that the US military has been cracking down hard on guys who start fights when out on leave. A single incident can now lead to dishonorable discharge. As a result I believe there is far less behaving badly in Roppongi than there used to be, and consequently you should run into less friction as a result of being US military. See how karma works?

Second, you're also probably aware that your unit does NOT want you to "flaunt the military thing." Keep a low profile. The days when GIs hung out in their fatigues on city streets smoking are long gone.
Very good, I'm happy they are going to that extremes to US military folks who start fights, still shocks me that military members are doing it.
Trust me, I wont be flaunting my military flight suit, its a little idiotic. The main original reason why I asked that was that so I could get an idea , if I am dating someone, if she'll like me for who I am, or because of the number of advantages a military dependent gets.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abernachy View Post
Very good, I'm happy they are going to that extremes to US military folks who start fights, still shocks me that military members are doing it.
Trust me, I wont be flaunting my military flight suit, its a little idiotic. The main original reason why I asked that was that so I could get an idea , if I am dating someone, if she'll like me for who I am, or because of the number of advantages a military dependent gets.
Very few Japanese womern are aware or likely care about the benefits a military dependent gets. It doesn't take long to figure out if a person likes you for you, or for what you represent.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-22-2008, 05:17 AM

My aunt used to be in the navy. She never was shipped to any Asian countries, but she did do her share of traveling (Europe). She pretty much said that the sailors with her, despite where they went, usually, excuse the expression, "made asses of themselves", especially after drinking. She said, for the most part, she was embarrassed to be around those who acted in such a fashion. I can understand why countries with those in the military who have foreigners who live on military bases would be wary of them because of a few bad eggs who ruined the image for everyone.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 07-22-2008 at 05:23 AM.