JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Abernachy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Abernachy Send a message via Skype™ to Abernachy
Going to Japan, just getting some general advice - 07-19-2008, 10:19 PM

Hey guys, I'm essentially new here but I do have quite a bit of questions. I'm currently in military training (USAF) and I am set to be stationed in Japan for 24 months.

1) How does the populace generally react to foreigners, and how much would a Caucasian stand out in a street area?

2)If they find out someone is Military, is he treated any differently?

3) I have a question about the USAF presence in Japan. From some of my own gathering, the USAF sends out relief supplies to areas in that region devastated by disasters, does this really happen?

4)Is it common for fathers to introduce their daughters to men? I had an interesting situation happen on Skype with a japanese guy who started sending me pictures of his daughter and began talking about her , out of the blue. Seemed very odd to me, especially when he told me his daughter loves younger men ( He told me she was older than me when he found out I was 21)

5)I've been reading that Yakota AFB offers a service where they fly over Tokyo for an hour, and it costs 90 per 3 people, is this service open to any citizen?

6)I hear the country regions are full of racists, will I get shot by a Japanese equivalent of a redneck if I get seen there?

7) Last question I can think of and it has to deal with the female populace ( What can I say, I'm single and always on the hunt) if they find out I'm USAF do I just all of a sudden become the most wanted person on their list, or do they ignore that fact?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
DivineBled (Offline)
Bloody St Elegance

Send a message via Yahoo to DivineBled
07-20-2008, 12:35 AM

Okay, it looks like you have some valid questions, and I will do my best to answer accordingly:

1.) Okay, my fellow Japanese wouldn't treat you differently from any other foreigner, they'll stare, but out of curiosity. **be realistic, you're not the only Caucasian guy over there!**

2.) Now this I don't know about, but considering how some military men act over there..............

3.) again, this I do not know. Sorry.

4.) Not that I know of, and like you, I'd be a bit creeped out by that. I mean, a father introducing his daughter to a strange gaijin? Never heard of that one.

5.) I'm not sure of this, but I'll ask around for you.

6.) Okay, this is where I will kindly but bluntly say, NO! That's like them asking, "I hear the US is full of racists, will I got shot by a redneck when I get there?" That question is a dumb one, the Japanese are just like you, you don't mess with them and what?........They won't mess with you....*although I can't speak for everyone, there are few exceptions on BOTH ends.**

7.) I can't and won't answer this question, because it's stupid. Really.

To listen to D'Narco Revolution:

http://www.myspace.com/dnarcorevolution

To join D'Narco Revolution's fan-club:

http://www.myspace.com/heavenlyhellrenegade

Countdown until D'Narco Revolution 2CD Release:2 months

Countdown to tour: 5 months starting in NY.

Currently: Hanging out with the guys. Working on 2 Additional CD's and 4 Pv's. Packing for Tokyo, leaving for Tokyo Nov. 11,2008
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-20-2008, 01:19 AM

I'll take a stab at your questions, too.

1) How does the populace generally react to foreigners, and how much would a Caucasian stand out in a street area?

If you are near a military base, it depends on how your comrades before you have acted. After bad incidents sometimes reputations are bad, but generally just like another human being.

Again, if you are near a base, chances are they treat you all pretty much the same way.

3) I have a question about the USAF presence in Japan. From some of my own gathering, the USAF sends out relief supplies to areas in that region devastated by disasters, does this really happen?

If there is a disaster in Japan the US military does what it can to help.

4)Is it common for fathers to introduce their daughters to men? I had an interesting situation happen on Skype with a japanese guy who started sending me pictures of his daughter and began talking about her , out of the blue. Seemed very odd to me, especially when he told me his daughter loves younger men ( He told me she was older than me when he found out I was 21)

No. To foriegn men? NO!

5)I've been reading that Yakota AFB offers a service where they fly over Tokyo for an hour, and it costs 90 per 3 people, is this service open to any citizen?

I don't know about this.

6)I hear the country regions are full of racists, will I get shot by a Japanese equivalent of a redneck if I get seen there?

Guns are illegal in Japan. Many people in the country likely have never met a foreigner before, but certainly not all. You aren't Magellan, dude. Japan is a first-world country. You might get some giggles, but no shotguns.

7) Last question I can think of and it has to deal with the female populace ( What can I say, I'm single and always on the hunt) if they find out I'm USAF do I just all of a sudden become the most wanted person on their list, or do they ignore that fact?

Short answer: No. Long answer: You can just as easily classify Japanese women as you can American women. Some like men in uniform, some don't. Some like macho men. Some don't. Some like foreign guys. Some don't.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-20-2008, 01:36 AM

I can answer a few of these based on my experience in Hiroshima, which had a large number of Marines and a few USAF due to the base in nearby Iwakuni.

1) Yes, you will stick out like a sore thumb, but it doesn't really matter. Most people are friendly and nobody notices unless you are in a residential area.

2)Yes you will be treated differently if you mention you are military. Even by other Americans. Some people won't care, some people will ignore you for it and others will fawn over you. I would tend to stay away from the latter group because they generally want something.

4) There is something strange about Japanese men and their intrest in foreigners being involved with Japanese women. I was frequently asked by the Japanese guys I was working with if I had a Japanese girlfriend. Others also insisted I visit their offices in Nagoya and Tokyo and meet the many young women there. The father thing did happen to one of my coworkers, but I think that was just joking around. My coworker was planning his wedding then and the Japanese gentleman was someone that we were working fairly close with. But he did mention it repeatedly.

7)There are three types of females that you will usually find in a place that has a lot of foriegners. The ones that have a strong distaste for military and /or english teachers but like some aspect of western culture. The ones that are there because they are interested in english and the western world but don't realy search out a relationship with foreigners beyond friends. Then their are the ones that are disntctly looking for a westerner, military or otherwise. This last group also fits any number of stereotypes that are held about certain American women. However, all of these girls have one thing in common as a couple of guys told me "Japanese men aren't interested in them because they are too strong willed and western guys wont marry them because they don't fit the stereotypes." It is only a generalization but there is too much truth to it.

My suggestion for when you go out, go out alone(not sure if this is possible as last I heard the military had instituted a buddy system for those leaving base). If you go out alone you will meet more of the local people that way because you are more approachable. Stay away from the places popular with the military, and don't broadcast that you are military. This means don't dress like every other 20-something frat boy/military party animal. It may be different where you are stationed, but I could pick out every military person from the hordes of other foreigners simply by how they dressed and carried themselves. Also, don't come on strong. If you are constantly on the "prowl" people will notice it and they won't like it. I had a coworker that was pretty much abhorred by every Japanese person he met because he was always "on". The majority of the Japanese people I met while out on the town I met while I was sitting alone minding my own business. The fact that you are a foreigner will bring attention to you, you don't need to pursue it. And once you meet a couple locals you will invariably meet their friends if they like you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

07-20-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You aren't Magellan, dude.
Quote of the day, right there.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-20-2008, 10:56 AM

7) There is a type of woman in Japan who digs US military guys. The unkind term for them is "Yokosuka bitchi" after the name of one of the bases. Same as anywhere, there are a few who are fans, a few who would cross the street to avoid US military, and the majority who have no strong feelings either way. So short answer on this one: yes, the military thing will help you with the ladies, but probably no more than in the States.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Abernachy (Offline)
New to JF

07-20-2008, 04:51 PM

Ah, all righty, thanks for the answers and sorry about the stupid questions.

I'll just have to put up a disguise, tell people I did atrocious in Japanese Grammar class but did exceedingly well in English Grammar class...on second thought that might not work.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-20-2008, 05:26 PM

Best thing is just be yourself...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
07-20-2008, 08:54 PM

They are generally nice to foreigners and things like that no need to worry.

Honestly, in alot of clubs and bars they do. Military/army guys have a tendency to be extremely rude and think they run the place when they are in groups.
Now i did meet up with some breakers and dancers in the military and they were totally cool guys.

then again i have met up with some extreme A holes who started fights and thought they were invincible and just acted like jerks every where.

just act right and dont play into the sterotype

i really dont know sorry

No its not.

not sure but sounds interesting!

no, its really not. you'll see japan is very peaceful and tolerant of other races. America is far worse if you ask me.

dont fall into the just b/c your military or gaijin all girls will automatically love you.

its not true
esp if you cant speak a lick of English. Alot of girls in tokyo, alot of them are looking for bfs.

alot of girls from all around the world. Generally military people dont have a great wrap, thats just speaking by experience thru my friends and what i've seen.

but its all about personality. its not taboo if you tell them your military but dont go around flaunting it like your better then the locals or any one else, b/c your not.

just be your self

g/l m8

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Abernachy (Offline)
New to JF

07-21-2008, 12:57 AM

All righty, I'll definitely act myself then.

It is unfortunate to see that there are military members acting like complete assholes, ( I wonder if its Marines...) rest assured I'm not one of them, if anything I'll just be running around looking at the sites and places of interest, if I'm gonna drink I'll be doing it on base ( Yea..if I go drinking off base, the whole country will pretty much learn everything about me which is something I don't need to happen again). I won't flaunting the military thing, if anything that will be the last thing that those around should learn, but if they do inquire then I'll just be truthful and tell them.