JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ChameleonSaint (Offline)
New to JF

iPod Touch - 07-20-2008, 01:55 AM

Hey everyone!

I will be in Japan in October for 3 days.
I will be bringing my iPod Touch and had a couple of questions.

Has anybody used their iPod touch for browsing the internet, sending emails etc? What about the Google Maps feature for getting around?
Are there many free wireless internet hot spots?

I don't have a laptop and would like to use the iPod to keep in touch with family back home here in Australia.

I will be in Tokyo for the 3 days.

Any advice is more then welcome.

Cheers.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Crea (Offline)
JF Regular

07-20-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChameleonSaint View Post
Has anybody used their iPod touch for browsing the internet, sending emails etc? What about the Google Maps feature for getting around?
Are there many free wireless internet hot spots?
I'm not in Japan at the moment, but from my memory, many branches of McDonald's offer free wireless connections. I also want to say places like Starbucks and Excelsior Cafe, but I could be mistaken. Besides of these chain restaurants, I don't know how common wireless internet would be, since to my understanding, most Japanese cellphones these days allow you to go online hence less demand for wi-fi hotspots.

I'll be in Tokyo from Sept. onwards though, so if you still don't have a definitive answer by then I'd be glad to look around and get back to you. Someone on this forum could probably answer by then though hehe.

I currently use my iTouch at home to check my mail and Facebook, but don't really use it to send mails out since it's so much faster on the computer. But sure it's completely doable, especially if you're used to the iTouch keyboard.

And I haven't really used Google Maps, but I wouldn't rely on it for like GPS or whatever since you'd have to be connected at all times right? If it's your first time in Tokyo and your hitting the tourist spots, I don't think you'd really need this function though.

For three days, I think iTouch-ing at a McDonalds or something would suffice. Also, where are you staying? Some hotels/hostels offer free Internet PCs for guests so you may want to look into that.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
ChameleonSaint (Offline)
New to JF

07-21-2008, 10:19 AM

Thank-you for your comments.

I have been looking all over the net for the best place to stay and haven't made my mind up yet; but I am thinking about the Crowne Plaza at the moment in Ginza. The bus from the airport goes straight there which would make it very easy when I get in.
They do have computers available with internet so I should be okay.

I came across this while I was looking for hotspots.

Maybe someone else may benefit also from this list.

Cheers
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-22-2008, 06:10 AM

You'll find wifi in many places here, though it's not always free. There are subscription hot spots at the various airports, as well as in libraries, some museums, and bookstores.

Most hotels I've stayed at in Japan do not have wifi. You can usually borrow or rent a broadband or fiber-optic modem from the front desk to hook into your laptop.