JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
darkhorse17 (Offline)
New to JF

Question Traveler Checks v.s. Cash - 07-10-2008, 11:17 PM

I am making my first trip to Japan this Monday and I was hoping I could get a little advice concerning the use of traveler's checks within central Toyko. I am uncomfortable carrying large amounts of cash and I am keen to avoid oversees card charges, I thought that traveler's checks seemed like a good alternative. Do most hotels exchange them? If not, is it a simple process to go to a local post office or bank instead? Also are Pound Sterling traveler's checks as viable as Dollar or Yen ones?
Any advice would be appriciated.
Cheers!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-11-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse17 View Post
I am making my first trip to Japan this Monday and I was hoping I could get a little advice concerning the use of traveler's checks within central Toyko. I am uncomfortable carrying large amounts of cash and I am keen to avoid oversees card charges, I thought that traveler's checks seemed like a good alternative. Do most hotels exchange them? If not, is it a simple process to go to a local post office or bank instead? Also are Pound Sterling traveler's checks as viable as Dollar or Yen ones?
Any advice would be appriciated.
Cheers!

In my experience, traveller's checks are a pain in the butt. Hotels might take them and big departments stores, but otherwise they are hard and timely to change to cash.

I have never had that much in the way of charges for using my credit card. I recommend credit cards and cash.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-11-2008, 10:16 AM

It's Japan for crying out loud. Carry as much cash as you want, everyone does. You will not be robbed, and no on will pick your pocket. Just stay away from any club or bar with Nigerian hustlers out front, and you'll be fine.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-11-2008, 10:31 AM

Japan isn`t 100% crime free. I don`t blame the original poster. It`s always better to be safe than sorry...

On the other hand, you`re going to have a lot of trouble if you try to go about using travelers checks. This was a couple years ago, but I had to help someone exchange theirs, and it literally took all day to find a place that would do it - and even then, they charged a huge fee.
I imagine things are a bit easier in a hugely tourist frequented area like Tokyo, but then again it isn`t as if we were out in the countryside.

I`d say it would probably be easier to invest in a slim money belt, and keep the majority of the cash in it, hidden away beneath your clothes. At the very least, I can say with confidence that the chances of you being held up or robbed are far lower than the chance of simply losing your wallet or dropping the cash.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

07-11-2008, 11:05 AM

Be prepared for a looooooooooong wait my friend. TC's are shunted to the back of the que so you should take some bento or sandwiches to the bank with you.

Best practise for Tokyo is to carry as much cash as you feel comfortable with and use international ATMs for top-ups. When using an ATM withdraw your full allowance as the charge will be the same for $5 as for $500.

At one point I had about ¥350,000.00 yen in my wallet.

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#6 (permalink))
Old
darkhorse17 (Offline)
New to JF

07-12-2008, 03:56 PM

I've dropped the idea of traveler's checks, it seems like it's cash all the way for me now.
Thanks for the advice
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kappabashi (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2008, 05:29 PM

Had absolutely no problem cashing traveller checks at hotels or at exchange places in larger train stations, never paid any commission either, just take along checks in yen, not USD. On the other hand, I never managed to get cash out of an ATM with any of my credit cards.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-13-2008, 05:33 PM

Checks in yen? Japanese banks don't use checks. It's a cash based system.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Kappabashi (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2008, 05:35 PM

with checks, I meant traveller checks, you can get them in many different currencies, yen been recommended for use in Japan.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
mangapunkrocker (Offline)
Princess of ALL

07-13-2008, 05:48 PM

If you go visit Japan what's the recommended amount you should take?

*EVIL BUT CUTE!!*