JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
bongpb (Offline)
New to JF

Trip to Japan and Osaka in Nov 08 - 08-06-2008, 08:35 AM

I am planning for a trip to Japan from 15 Nov to 22 Nov 08 for 2 adults and 2 kids (below 12) to Tokyo and Osaka.

My itinerary as follows :
Day 1 - Singapore to Tokyo
Day 2 to 4 - Tokyo disneyland and disneysea
Day 5 Hakone National Park and Mt Fuji
Day 6 Osaka Nara Deer Park and Todaji Temple
Day 7 Universal Studio
Day 8 Osaka Castle -> Singapore

I have a few questions :
1. Should I purchase the Japan Railway pass - 1 week ? Is it cheaper ? I was told told that it is not. Is the Japan Railway pass includes ShiKanshi to Osaka ?

2. Should I join a local tour to Hakone National Park and to Osaka ?

3. Is 1 day sufficient for universal studio ?

I will stay at friend's house in Tokyo, pse advise good place to stay in Osaka and other suggestion.

Thanks & Regards Desmond
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-06-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongpb View Post
I am planning for a trip to Japan from 15 Nov to 22 Nov 08 for 2 adults and 2 kids (below 12) to Tokyo and Osaka.

My itinerary as follows :
Day 1 - Singapore to Tokyo
Day 2 to 4 - Tokyo disneyland and disneysea
Day 5 Hakone National Park and Mt Fuji
Day 7 Universal Studio
Day 8 Osaka Castle -> Singapore

I have a few questions :
1. Should I purchase the Japan Railway pass - 1 week ? Is it cheaper ? I was told told that it is not. Is the Japan Railway pass includes ShiKanshi to Osaka ?

2. Should I join a local tour to Hakone National Park and to Osaka ?

3. Is 1 day sufficient for universal studio ?

I will stay at friend's house in Tokyo, pse advise good place to stay in Osaka and other suggestion.

Thanks & Regards Desmond
Why go all the way to an exotic country with a rich historical tradition and visit Universal Studios?

I would not jion a group tour of the national park. Some people like that, but I prefer to do my own thing. they'll lead you around and request you stay with the group. I think it's nicer to buy a 100 yen guide, read about the place and wander at my leisure.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

Welcome to Japan - 08-06-2008, 11:39 AM

Hi Desmond,

Personally I think the Japan Rail Pass is worth buying for you as you are going to be hopping on and off trains as you go across from Tokyo to Osaka on your route. Paying for all those journeys as individual journeys is soon going to rack up. Remember if you are going to buy the Japan Rail Pass then you need to buy it in advance -before you land in Japan. Check with your travel agent re the pricing comparison but I'm pretty sure I'm right. The only time I would say not to bother is if you are landing in Tokyo and staying in Tokyo. Traveling beyond makes the purchase worthwhile as far as I'm concerned.

Disneyland and Disneysea - not cheap but essential when you have little ones hey Lots to do - and if you do need a break from Disney for a bit there's a great aquarium just one train station away.

Hakone is great - make sure you get on the pirate boat across the lake and take the cable car to a place called Owakudani (it's one of the stations) - and you can eat some black boiled eggs - black because they are boiled in volcanic water. It's great fun and the kids will love it. There's also an outdoor art museum there - lots of sculptures and activities for the kids too. A nice place to relax a little. I wouldn't bother with a tour if I were you - but again that's just me. It's easy enough to get around - just get a good guide book.

Sorry I can't comment on accommodation in Osaka - I live in Tokyo hence my site name TokyoTopia . Hopefully someone else will jump in there to help.

You'll have a great time I'm sure. I lived in Singapore for a year up at Woodlands.

All the best - Honor

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Why go all the way to an exotic country with a rich historical tradition and visit Universal Studios?

I would not jion a group tour of the national park. Some people like that, but I prefer to do my own thing. they'll lead you around and request you stay with the group. I think it's nicer to buy a 100 yen guide, read about the place and wander at my leisure.
They are travelling with 2 kids, so they do need to bring them to some theme park.

Give at least Kiyomizu or Kinkaku Ji a visit and have a brief drop by in Kyoto too....

Tokyo Disney isn't really too big, so you probably don't need a full day there. Do visit other parts of Tokyo like the Daiba and Akiba, kids may like Akiba depending on their age
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-06-2008, 04:27 PM

You are really only traveling 1 way, from Tokyo to Osaka. I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper just to buy the shinkansen ticket than a week-long rail pass.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
bongpb (Offline)
New to JF

08-07-2008, 02:16 AM

Hello, UKtokyoite,

I am Desmond. Thank you so much for your reply. For your information, I will be stayed at friend's house at千叶县八千代市. I was told is quite a distance to Hakone Park. I am really not sure how to go there and I am told that I need to stay 1 night there. Could you please advise what is the best way to Hakone Park ? Also, is it possible to travel from Hakone to Osaka directly ?

Sorry, this is my first time to Japan and is finding way to explore Japan with my wife and 2 kids aged 10 and 11.

Thanks in advance for your help.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-07-2008, 02:29 AM

Nara Park and Todaiji Temple are in Nara, not Osaka. Both are excellent.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

08-07-2008, 11:22 AM

Hi Desmond

Yes your friends house is a fair way from Hakone - it looks like you're staying in Chiba which is actually the next prefecture to Tokyo. Hakone is South of Tokyo so your first job is to get to Tokyo station - I think this will be your easiest route from Chiba. If anyone knows better then please jump in here.

Depending where you are in Chiba it will probably take about 40 - 60 minutes to get to Tokyo station - your friend should be able to help you with that bit

From Tokyo station you need to get to a station called Hakone-Yumoto (this is the most central station for Hakone) via a place called Odawara. There are 2 choices that spring to mind:

Stage 1: Tokyo Station to Odawara Station

1. Either catch the shinkansen at Tokyo station to Odawara - takes about 40 minutes and cost is around 3,500 yen each one way. One thing to be careful of - not all shinkansens stop at Odawara so make sure you ask when booking so that you don't go flying straight past!

2. Or take the local and slightly slower JR Tokaido main line from Tokyo station to Odawara - time is approx 70 - 90 minutes and the cost is around 1,500 yen per head one way.

Stage 2: Odawara Station to Hakone-Yumoto Station

Take the Hakone Tozan Railway to Hakone-Yumoto - takes about 15 minutes and cost is 300 yen each.

As I said that's the easiest way I can think of if you're coming in from Chiba.

Here's a link to Hakone that has hotels on it if you need it. Also some good info about the area for you Hakone

Hope this helps

(#9 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

08-07-2008, 11:26 AM

Hi Desmond,

I forgot to say - to get to Osaka when you have finished you need to head back to Odawara and from there you can the shinkansen to Osaka.

All the best,

Honor

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2008, 02:58 AM

If you have kids, all the more reason not to join a group. It's easier to not have the kids keep to the schedule of the rest of the group. And at 10 and 11, I think they can handle a trip to Japan without a theme park.