JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ozruben (Offline)
New to JF

Holidays in Japan - 08-18-2008, 08:08 AM

Hi there!

Planning a 10-day-trip to Japan, starting next week. My initial plan is to spend 5/6 days in Tokyo and 4/5 days in Kyoto, is that too much time in either city. Should I consider to visit other cities on the Tokyo-Kyoto route??
Any tips would be very welcome. Thanks in advance guys!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-18-2008, 08:12 AM

You can do Kyoto in 2 good days. Add Nara and maybe Osaka and Kobe to your schedule...depending on what you are interested in.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-18-2008, 12:32 PM

Second what MMM said. Add another day if you planned to complete the Fhusimi Inari trail, but otherwise, kyoto will last you 2 days at most.... Osaka will be another 2 days
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2008, 12:47 PM

Depends on your interests. I've done many days on Kyoto and still haven't seen enough. But MMM's suggesion of seeing Nara is a good idea. But Kobe? I've only been through it, but I couldn't find anything I would like to see on thier tourism website or in travel guides.

Osaka was a great city to visit when I lived near it. We would go there to play, but I'm not sure there's so much to see there if your only in Japan for a short time. There's an aquarium, but there's one in every country.

What are your interests? History? Culture? Architecture? Manga?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-18-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Depends on your interests. I've done many days on Kyoto and still haven't seen enough. But MMM's suggesion of seeing Nara is a good idea. But Kobe? I've only been through it, but I couldn't find anything I would like to see on thier tourism website or in travel guides.

Osaka was a great city to visit when I lived near it. We would go there to play, but I'm not sure there's so much to see there if your only in Japan for a short time. There's an aquarium, but there's one in every country.

What are your interests? History? Culture? Architecture? Manga?
There isn't much to see in Kobe except for the port. I would spend a few more hours and head to Himeji instead
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ozruben (Offline)
New to JF

08-18-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozruben View Post
Hi there!

Planning a 10-day-trip to Japan, starting next week. My initial plan is to spend 5/6 days in Tokyo and 4/5 days in Kyoto, is that too much time in either city. Should I consider to visit other cities on the Tokyo-Kyoto route??
Any tips would be very welcome. Thanks in advance guys!
That's great guys, I really appreciate your quick and informative replies!

Well, I think I will give Nara a try, as well as Osaka. I am pretty much an urban person, like the hustle and bustle of the cities.

As for Tokyo? Any suggestions on must sees around Tokio. I think I will give Mt Fuji a miss, I'd rather do people watching than hikking I'm very much into traditional architecture, as well as comtemporary/modern.

Thank you so much. Cheers

Last edited by ozruben : 08-19-2008 at 06:14 AM. Reason: complete
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-19-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
That's great guys, I really appreciate your quick and informative replies!

Well, I think I will give Nara a try, as well as Osaka. I am pretty much an urban person, like the hustle and bustle of the cities.

As for Tokyo? Any suggestions on must sees around Tokio. I think I will give Mt Fuji a miss, I'd rather do people watching than hikking I'm very much into traditional architecture, as well as comtemporary/modern.

Thank you so much. Cheers
Meiji shirne and Sensoji temple is a must. Daiba is like a futuristic "town", which I failed ot see the "futuristic" touch, but it is a cool place to go to.

For the business of city life, you will need to be at Shinjuku, Shibuya, Akiba and/or Roppongi.

Many may disagree, but Yokohama is also a must see. It has almost a bit of everything
(#8 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

Smile 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM

Hia,

I definitely agree about Yokohama actually - especially the area around the landmark tower - really great for having a stroll but also being near some excellent shopping - yes I'm a woman ; )

In Tokyo - must see Hachiko in Shibuya after dark on a Fri or Sat night if you can. It's just manic - and a lot of fun. For somewhere a little bit hip try Shimo Kitazawa on the Inokashira Line (you can get this from Shibuya station).

Go to tsukiji fish market - Tsukiji is on the Hibiya subway line. You need to be there around 5am - it is now only open to visitors between 5 and 6:15am I think - I'm open to correction on this. See some massive tuna being auctioned and try some very fresh sushi or sashimi - yum!

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ozruben (Offline)
New to JF

08-19-2008, 02:43 PM

Hi all,

I must say I'm really impressed by you, forum users. You guys provide heaps of useful and informative comments (godwine, MMM, paul 11). Special mention to uktokyoite's website :-)
Now I sort of have the feeling 10 days is not enough...

Thank you so much. I will surely come back for more of your great tips/info before I take off..

Cheers
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-19-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

I must say I'm really impressed by you, forum users. You guys provide heaps of useful and informative comments (godwine, MMM, paul 11). Special mention to uktokyoite's website :-)
Now I sort of have the feeling 10 days is not enough...

Thank you so much. I will surely come back for more of your great tips/info before I take off..

Cheers
You should give japan-guide.com - Japan Travel and Living Guide a try, they have some good suggestions on each locations