JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
paprinika (Offline)
New to JF

Japan Railway Operation Time? - 08-17-2008, 04:35 AM

Hi guys! New here! But already have some problems with my short short trip to Tokyo this coming October.

Firstly, this is my first time travelling alone, and first time in Japan. So I'm worried and anxious like... Yeah. XD

I was planning my itinerary and have no problems with the complicated train system in Japan (As compared to Singapore, ours are really simple because we're small) until I was planning the time to get up early and be on my way back to Narita Airport.

My flight is quite early, it departs at 9:45am, So I'll need to arrive 2 hours before, around 7:30-7:45am. Meaning I'll need to leave my Ryokan at maybe as early as 6?

My Ryokan is located at Tawaramachi, in the middle of Asakusa and Ueno, and will at least need the skyliner or railway trains to get to Narita Airport.

So here comes the problem. What time does train services in Japan starts and ends their daily operation? Because if I really need to leave at 6am but there are no trains... Acks. Yabai.

I tried checking the train schedules but couldn't get an answer.

So if anyone has an idea please help. Sorry for my lengthy post. XD

Thanks a lot!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2008, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprinika View Post
Hi guys! New here! But already have some problems with my short short trip to Tokyo this coming October.

Firstly, this is my first time travelling alone, and first time in Japan. So I'm worried and anxious like... Yeah. XD

I was planning my itinerary and have no problems with the complicated train system in Japan (As compared to Singapore, ours are really simple because we're small) until I was planning the time to get up early and be on my way back to Narita Airport.

My flight is quite early, it departs at 9:45am, So I'll need to arrive 2 hours before, around 7:30-7:45am. Meaning I'll need to leave my Ryokan at maybe as early as 6?

My Ryokan is located at Tawaramachi, in the middle of Asakusa and Ueno, and will at least need the skyliner or railway trains to get to Narita Airport.

So here comes the problem. What time does train services in Japan starts and ends their daily operation? Because if I really need to leave at 6am but there are no trains... Acks. Yabai.

I tried checking the train schedules but couldn't get an answer.

So if anyone has an idea please help. Sorry for my lengthy post. XD

Thanks a lot!
It depends upon the area, and I don't know Tokyo much at all, but 5-6 am would be typical.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2008, 05:37 AM

I use this site to check the timetablesJapan Railways Group - Quick Search - Hyperdia. It has both traditional timetable layouts and a searchable "best route" system. The search will include airline and bus links in the route.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
paprinika (Offline)
New to JF

08-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks guys! I've checked around and I think most of them starts around 5 or 6, but I haven't found a definitely answer.

So if anyone knows do tell me! (^_^)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2008, 11:45 AM

Here's a link to the Keisei Narita timetable:

Keisei Narita Line timetable

If your flight is on a weekday, you're in luck, the first train leaves at 6:30 and takes about 60 minutes to get to Narita. The fare is just under ¥2,000.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
manners (Offline)
JF Regular

08-18-2008, 02:40 AM

You need to find the Narita Express train timetable.

As it is the express train to the airport is from Tokyo station you need to be able to get to Tokyo station before the departure time.

Leaving your Ryokan at 5am is probably a wise thing to allow for getting lost and confused with signs and stairways etc....

Have a nice day
My Japan Blog Do your own research because this is not advice.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2008, 02:58 AM

Yes, the Narita Express is the nicest way to go. I believe the OP is in the Ueno area, so the Keisei is the closest option. The Narita Express doesn't stop at Ueno.

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#8 (permalink))
Old
paprinika (Offline)
New to JF

08-18-2008, 09:39 AM

Thanks guys for all your advices. I think I found my answer~

Just incase there are people like me, here are a few pages I found useful:

1. A page that allows you to select depart and end stations and gives you the routes to take and sort results by fare, time and number of transits:
index

2. Schedules for the Keisei (Futsu) Line:
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/time.htm

3. And schedule for the Tokyo Metro Line, just select your station and direction:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/rosen/number.html

(^_^)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-20-2008, 01:47 PM

Don't bother with the Narita Express. It's expensive, and difficult to carry luggage on. My last trip on the Narita express was delayed due to a suicide on one of the tracks, and I nearly missed my flight.

The most convenient way to get to Tokyo from Narita is by taking the limousine bus. The bus stop is located right outside the terminal, you can't miss them, they are very large, orange buses that say "Airport Limousine" on the side. The bus ticket counter is also easy to find.

The buses are cheaper than the train, are more convenient for carrying large amounts of luggage, and they cost less. They leave every 5 minutes or so, which is much more often than the train. Bus service begins at about 6 am.

The bus will take you to Tokyo Station. You can take the Yamanote train to Ueno, but it's so close that a taxi will be an easier and not-too-expensive way to get to your ryokan. If you don't speak much Japanese, get a google maps printout showing ryokan's name and address to give to the cab driver.

One thing about taking a taxi in Japan, make sure you know where the nearest landmark is, addresses in Japan are not sequential. The taxi driver will usually know where the landmark is, and once you get there, you give the driver turn-by-turn directions to your destination. It's a crazy system, but it's the way things are done here.