JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
iodemek (Offline)
New to JF

Where do I get my tourist visa? - 08-26-2008, 04:54 PM

I know I am supposed to automatically get a tourist visa when I go to Japan, but when and where? On the plane? Or is this something you have to get before you get on the plane?

The main reason I'm asking is because I need to show a valid visa to get the lease on my appartment.

Thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tsuzuki (Offline)
冷血の私生児

Send a message via ICQ to Tsuzuki Send a message via MSN to Tsuzuki Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuzuki Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuzuki
08-26-2008, 04:59 PM

you get it on the fly ^^ otherwise google it oO
--> E-1 Visum, E-2 Visum, Einwanderungsrecht USA, USA Green Card, Visum USA, Arbeitserlaubnis USA, Amerikaner geheiratet, was muss nunmehr beachtet werden?

ギャー(*0*((◎—————ー(°°; ) スッポヌケ〜
✿ あなた だけ が みれば いい... 狂気と真実は紙一重 ✿

そして坊やは眠りについて 息衝く灰の中の炎ひとつ、ふたつと 浮かぶふくらみ愛しい横顔 大地に垂るる幾千の夢、夢 銀の瞳のゆら(◕‿‿◕ )
It's a thin line between genius and stupidity. Once you cross it there is no going back!! Luckily I have tippex and a pen so I can just redraw it where I like!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA =_=

†♫†
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2008, 06:41 PM

You cannot rent an apartment with a tourist visa. Are you talking about a weekly mansion?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
iodemek (Offline)
New to JF

08-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You cannot rent an apartment with a tourist visa. Are you talking about a weekly mansion?
Are you sure? I'm renting through Sakura House, if that makes any difference.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodemek View Post
Are you sure? I'm renting through Sakura House, if that makes any difference.
So that's like a weekly mansion...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
iodemek (Offline)
New to JF

08-26-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So that's like a weekly mansion...
Is that a statement or a question?

It is an apartment in Shibuya, and we rent per month (One month).
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Sakura has apartments what you can rent monthly like that, I believe. I don't think you can rent "regular" apartments with a tourist visa (as I think MMM meant). Those usually have longer contract time and stricter terms etc...

You get the tourist visa after filling out one of those forms real quick-like on the plane..

なんでやねん!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-27-2008, 07:36 AM

While on your flight to Japan, you will be given an immigration/customs form to fill out. It asks how long you will stay, where you will stay, the nature of your visit (tourism, work, etc), and how much money you have with you (they want to know that you'll be able to support yourself during your visit). It also specifies a few items which you may not bring to Japan (rice, guns, meat, or swords).

Once you deplane, you'll head first to the immigration window, where your passport and form will be examined. Then you'll be photographed and fingerprinted, the visa will be affixed in your passport, and you will be shown the way to customs.

Your flight may or may not have the forms for you to fill out, sometimes they run out, or, as in my case, a new form came into use while I was gone, and they didn't have any copies of the new form available on my plane.

Dress well for your flight. Business-type people are whisked through immigration and customs quickly, whereas others are often questioned or examined more closely. The grunge/goth/hipster look is not in favor with Japanese immigration, and dressing a such is a good way to get yourself delayed or detained, or, in some cases, denied entry altogether.

Sakura House rents to tourists, as do other hotel/apartment providers. A visa is necessary to prove that you are in the country legally.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

08-27-2008, 12:16 PM

Also just so you know, some new immigration laws came into effect from November last year. When you get your visa, the customs officer will also take your photograph and your fingerprints. It's very quick and it is now standard - everybody who it not a Japanese citizen has to do it. That includes me even though I've lived here since 2001. So everytime I leave I go through the same procedure. It's part of their anti-terrorism measures.

Just in case you were to get worried when they start taking your fingerprints

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#10 (permalink))
Old
iodemek (Offline)
New to JF

08-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Big thanks to Henbaka, Sangetsu and uktokyoite. Everything is much clearer now