JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
leagues11 (Offline)
New to JF

need some help picking an apartment in tokyo! - 09-02-2008, 12:35 PM

hi there! I'm traveling to japan in about a month and a bit (for, uhhh, a month), and I've been looking at the sakura house apartments. I'm just about ready to reserve an apartment, but it's a little hard deciding on a place! my knowledge of tokyo isn't that great (I have a friend over there, but he's a little too busy to help me with this stuff at the moment), so I am seeking some advice from anyone in the know.

idealistically, I'd love to stay in kichijoji. idealistically. uhhhh, chances of that apartment becoming available are pretty low, unfortunately. but kichijoji represents what I'm looking for, mainly. basically, my preferred location would be one that has a nice neighborhood, great shopping/food, and also lovely nature, but not too disconnected from tokyo. I want to have a great time in japan - not too relaxed but also not too fast-paced.

kagurazaka was also on my radar, for a while.

I like setagaya (futako-tamagawa looks lovely), but again, I fear it is too disconnected from tokyo. not a bad thing! I just don't want to be kicking myself for making the wrong decision. then again, I don't want to be kicking myself for passing up an apartment that has a gorgeous neighborhood, yet I mistake it for being too cut off for a traveler. It's difficult when you can only see a few pictures of said area, instead of walking around there ... you know?

I'd also like to keep to the west side of tokyo (shinjuku, nakano, koenji, ogikubo, nishi-ogikubo, kichijoji, mitaka, koganei -- in descending order of closeness to shinjuku . . . with the first one uhhh actually being shinjuku), or around the south-west side, where it also seems nice. has anyone been to tokyo, and wished they'd stayed somewhere else after seeing it? did anyone really dig their location first time round?

I am prepared to spend more for a nice location ................. without, you know, breaking the wallet too much

I'll list some of my favourite apartments and maybe someone can help out:

Futakotamagawa A Apt.

Kagurazaka 2 "Yaraicho"

Kamimachi Heights

Mitaka

those are just a few! any help - greatly appreciated! thanks so much folks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-02-2008, 01:43 PM

The apartment in Kagurazaka is the most conveniently located, being within the Yamanote circle. It's closer than Kichijoji to anything that you really want to see.

20 minute's walk might not sound like much fun, but believe me, there are few places more interesting to walk than Tokyo, you'll find interesting sights even in the alleys.

Print out some maps on google, there are street level views for all of Tokyo now, you'll be able to recognize the important intersections.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

09-04-2008, 03:53 AM

It's really up to you and your tastes and what's available at the time. I personally don't like to be right in the city so I have always lived outside. For a while I lived on the Keio Line heading out of Shinjuku at a station called Tsutsujigaoka, but most of my time here has been spent to the South of Tokyo on the Toyoko Line or Meguro Line. I recommend Jiyugaoka on the Toyoko Line for somewhere that's outside Tokyo but also close enough to everything. It's quite funky little place as well in its own right.

Check out this website as well for info http://www.tokyocityapartments.com/guesthouses-info/

Check listing 13 - Green House in Jiyugaoka - plus there are lots of other great locations on here. Hope it helps

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#4 (permalink))
Old
drapes (Offline)
New to JF

Need some adwise - 09-05-2008, 05:49 AM

Hi! I been moving to tokyo in 4 weeks and and will stay there for 2 years for sure, hopfully longer, Is it a good idea to buy one that is unfurnished or is it better to take one that is furnished to begin with. And when you are there you can search for one?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

09-05-2008, 11:49 AM

Honestly it's down to you. I didn't want the hassle of buying furniture and dealing with getting things plumbed in etc in a foreign language that I was definitely not fluent in. I plumped for the part furnished route - that means you get the basics you need - washer, small fridge, tv, small hob cooker and a bed.

That was my choice though - you don't have to do this. It might be easier though for the first few months while you find your feet - then you can make a more informed decision after you arrive.

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Bay (Offline)
New to JF

Try J&F Instead of Sakura House - 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM

If you have not already reserved an apartment through Sakura House, you should definitely check out the J&F Apartments website (www.jafplus.com) first before dealing with Sakura House. My friend recently had a horrible experience with Sakura House, and found out that they have somewhat of a reputation around Tokyo for taking advantage of their renters. Even if you decide to go with Sakura House, DO NOT pay to reserve an apartment in Japan without seeing it. I know it's hard to go to another country without knowing where you are going to live, and if you only have a month you want to be settled sooner than later - but take it from someone who learned the hard way, it is well worth it to pay for a few nights at a hotel, ryokan, or even a guesthouse or youth hostel so that you can make an informed decision, rather than locking yourself into paying for a place sight-unseen. If Sakura House will not show you the apartments you are interested in before you make a decision, do not rent from them.

I checked, and there are quite a few J&F apartment buildings with vacancies in the area you are looking at (along the Chuo line relatively near Shinjuku). I know that J&F will arrange for someone to meet with you and show you the apartment(s) before you make a decision. Ask for Shingo, who speaks fluent English (better in person than on the phone). Shingo was very frank about the pros and cons of each apartment - even going so far as to admit that one of their older apartments has a cockroach problem (by the way, whichever agency you go with, you should ask if the building has a cockroach problem - not uncommon in older buildings).

J&F charges a one-time 30,000 Yen, non-refundable cleaning fee up front - which may seem high compared to Sakura House's 10,000 Yen non-refundable up-front "wear and tear" fee, but unlike Sakura House, J&F actually uses that money to pay for their apartments to be cleaned after someone moves out! (I can fill you in on my friend's Kamimachi Heights horror story in that regard, if you are interested.) J&F also charges utilities separately from the rent for most of their apartments, so you have to tack another 20,000 Yen onto the rent to calculate what you will pay monthly.

The area you are looking at does seem really convenient as far as transportation on the JR lines; Setagaya is also a really nice area, but it is more remote. It depends on whether you want to hang out where you are living and experience the neighborhood, or if you are going to be going to Shinjuku, Akihabara, Ginza, etc. almost every day. I think it will pay to actually go to these places, see what the area is like, how long it takes to walk from the station, etc. - give yourself some time to make an informed decision, just like you would when choosing a home anywhere! Before you leave, you can make arrangements by phone or e-mail to see the apartments you are considering, so that you can make a decision in a reasonably short time after you arrive.

Last edited by Bay : 09-09-2008 at 08:53 PM.