LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
japan2008 (Offline)
New to JF

Red face How do I make friends travelling alone? - 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM

Hi everyone.

David here. 24 asian male from Canada.

Travelling alone in Japan and enjoying all the sights and eats.

Does anybody know of some good ways to meet people while travelling alone? I think my trip will be a lot more interesting meeting and socializing with interesting people.

One problem I have is my japanese is at the very introductory level.

Any advice?

Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
09-09-2008, 06:19 PM

clubs, lounges, cafes, any places where you can be social

and thats the key, being social with other people...don't wait for them to make the move.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

09-25-2008, 08:24 AM

hello fellow canadian ! (im from montreal) anyway.. on to the subject...about meeting new people and making friends in Japan while traveling alone.

I was in the same situation as you when i visited japan this summer and i can say that meeting new people is kinda easy.

First of all, you will more then likely make some friends in your accomodations. Now, if you want to actually meet people and do stuff with them dont stay in a hotel or anything like that. Pick a nice guesthouse. Thats where all the young, well mostly, folks gather up. Just ask any1 if they want to join you for karaoke, restaurant, sightseeing, etc.. I did this A-LOT and its real easand you get to meet new people. The downside is that most of them wont be japanese exept the staff. then again, making friends with the staff isnt much harder at all and they will show you stuff you would have never find otherwise.

Second, like kenmei said, try coffee shop, clubs, etc. Another good spot i found is these what i call teddy bear arcade where you get to grab those small items or any stuffed bear and whatnot. Anyway, restaurants, coffee and mostly clubs are where you will more then likely meet japanese people. Store and restaurant staff and customer will often ask you lots of questions. Its kinda easy to start a conversation.

Now heres what you really wanna know..wheres the ladies ?

Clubs. Yes, these are my favorite spot and besides...i really like to dance. Anyway, just grab a drink, try to bring a friend from the hostel and just have some fun. I found most japanese people to be rly friendly. Some people will more then likely gather up and dance with you. Regarding the ladies...just dont wait for them to make a move. Invite them and they will more then likely agree for a dance. Now dont go ballistic..you will more then likely scare her away...keep it nice and smooth..wait until she gives you a signal. Lol sorry i just couldnt resist

sorry bout the spelling its 4h30 am here i im terribely tired but cannot sleep at all.