LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-23-2008, 02:04 AM

Bob, when are you going to be there?

Also have you been to Hiroshima before?

There are quite a few things to do/see there.
Hiroshima castle, the Peace Memorial and associated A-bomb monuments, shukkein gardens, Miyajima, Yammamoto battleship museum in Kure, Mazda Museum and factory tour.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
BobTheBear (Offline)
New to JF

09-23-2008, 04:56 PM

Hi Strang

We land at Kansai/Osaka @ 09.30 am on Friday 24th October and will then travel straight down to Hiroshima. On the Saturday we'll have a free day.

None of us have been to Hiroshima before, I'm the only one to have been to Japan before but that was up North in the Niigata mountain area.

I think visiting the peace memorial might be something worth doing. I understand we'll be staying in a hotel just outside Hiroshima train station, so speaking no Japanese at al how would we get to the memorial? Or how would we get anywhere? Taxi I guess, do taxi drivers speak English?

Regards, Bob

><{{{{º> ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º>
<º}}}}>< <º}}}}><
(#13 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2008, 12:54 AM

The taxi drivers speak pretty much no english. They are also generally older, so unless your Japanese accent is pretty good they won't understand you even if you speak Japanese. The one exception to that is if you say Hiroshima Station, they all seem to understand that one. However, there is a really good street car system in Hiroshima. It will allow you to get almost anywhere in the city for 150 yen. Hiroden Street Car Map If you get on the #2 or #6 street car, you can get off at Genbaku Dome-mae and you will be right next to the Peace Memorial Park. This stop is announced in English so that tourists will know where to get off.
For other ideas of things to do, check out GetHiroshima.com It has a list of events that are happening and also bars, restraunts, and shops in Hiroshima and nearby.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-24-2008, 02:54 AM

actually there is an information counter just outside jr hiroshima station. rather than taxi i would recommended touring the city by the "chin-chin densha" . you can get a 2 day ticket pass for 2000yen that includes already a ferry ride to miyajima and cable ride to the top of the mountain in itsukushima.

just ask for an english map too.

also kintaikyo in yamaguchi prefecture is just around 30-40 minutes away from hiroshima by jr train

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#15 (permalink))
Old
BobTheBear (Offline)
New to JF

09-24-2008, 12:03 PM

You guys are very kind with your help, thank you. I'll copy all the tips into a word doc before I go and be able to refer to it.

Just now got to find somewhere to eat and drink. We have a vegitarian in out small group and I also like to know what it is I'm eating - LOL. I know the Japanese in general will eat just about anything, but we're English and a tad fussyier! Just hope there are some eating places that have pictures, we can point then!!!!!! I'm guessing there wont be anywhere with anything in English writing though?

Thanks again

Regards, Bob

<º}}}}>< <º}}}}><
(#16 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2008, 03:25 PM

There are several places with English menus, and few places with vegeterian meals. One of my coworkers is Vegan and spent most of his meals eating cheese pizza at Jolly Pasta, he knew Vegan was a near impossibility in Japan and conceded on the dairy products. Most of the restaurants listed on GetHiroshima.com have an english menu. Some places have a picture menu but most of the really nice Japanese restaurants have neither. If you can find one pick up a GetHiroshima map when you arrive it helps alot. I don't know if the train station has them but pretty much any place listed on the website has one. You said you are staying at a Hotel just outside Hiroshima Station, if it is Hotel Granvia, they have the GetHiroshima map.

If you are looking for some non-japanese food. Kemby's/The Shack and Molly Malones are pretty good. Kemby's and The Shack are American style bars. The food choices are pretty much all over the map though and The Shack has the same menu as Kemby's but with some Japanese dishes as well. Molly Malones is of course an Irish pub, run by a Brit of some sort. I don't know if he is Irish or English.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
BobTheBear (Offline)
New to JF

09-24-2008, 04:00 PM

Stang,

Thanks again, didnt realise there would be that much choice. I'm sure we will find somehwere to eat for a couple of days and a few beers will find their way to us.

Regards, Bob

<º}}}}>< <º}}}}><
(#18 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-25-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBear View Post
Stang,

Thanks again, didnt realise there would be that much choice. I'm sure we will find somehwere to eat for a couple of days and a few beers will find their way to us.
There are tons of restaurants in Japan. You can try real ramen, they have some varieties without meat (or just ask for no meat).

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#19 (permalink))
Old
BobTheBear (Offline)
New to JF

09-25-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
You can try real ramen
Go on then, whats Real Ramen?????

Regards, Bob

<º}}}}>< <º}}}}><
(#20 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-26-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBear View Post
Go on then, whats Real Ramen?????
Fresh made, the broth simmered for many hours or even days, while the noodles are cooked when you order it, with green onions, garlic, slices of roasted pork, etc. "Real" as in "not the just-add-water, 5-for-$1, oversalted junk you get in a supermarket" but the real thing, as it should be.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan