JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
smoo (Offline)
New to JF

a VERY brief visit..... - 09-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Hello,

I am flying from Europe to New Caledonia via Tokyo Narita in about a month’s time and will have nearly a whole day in Tokyo (from 9am until 8pm). I am wondering how I should best spend the time. Is it easy and quick to get from Narita to downtown Tokyo by public transport? I'm interested in history (particularly pre-modern), natural history such as parks and forests, architecture (of any period), art, etc. I even wondered if it might be possible to visit Mt. Fuji in a single day...

I have never been to Japan before and may be a little jetlagged...

Any tips appreciated!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Hello,

I am flying from Europe to New Caledonia via Tokyo Narita in about a month’s time and will have nearly a whole day in Tokyo (from 9am until 8pm). I am wondering how I should best spend the time. Is it easy and quick to get from Narita to downtown Tokyo by public transport? I'm interested in history (particularly pre-modern), natural history such as parks and forests, architecture (of any period), art, etc. I even wondered if it might be possible to visit Mt. Fuji in a single day...

I have never been to Japan before and may be a little jetlagged...

Any tips appreciated!
Its a good 45-60 minutes to travel from narita to Tokyo, and then from there, it will be another good 45 minutes to travel to any site that give you the history and park you are looking for.

Unless you want to be rushed, otherwise you will not be able to visit Mt. Fuji.

My recommendation will be to stick around Narita: Narita Travel: Naritasan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
japanfan7 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile this may help you - 09-24-2008, 07:32 PM

I'd suggest a kabuki or bunraku play. those from what i have read, are really neat. I have also seen one from when my uncle brought back a DVD of one. go to your local library and see if they have this book; Japanese language, Life, and Culture. This helped my uncle alot. I am reading it right now, and it is pretty good if you want to learn about the history. I hope i helped!!! around the world and back!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

Ueno - 09-25-2008, 05:03 AM

If you like history and culture, Ueno would be a great place to spend the day. It's the first major stop in Tokyo when you're coming in from Narita so the journey would be around 60 minutes one way.

There are the art museums here which are fab - some very special Asian art is stored here. There's also Ameyoko shopping street - lots of street stalls selling all kinds of goods. This used to be the black market area during WWII and although it's nothing like as cheap as it used to be, it's lots of fun to wander round.

There's also a big park here (Ueno park believe it or not)! Lots of trees, some buddha style architecture and older buildings - so maybe this is a good choice for you

Check my Website: TokyoTopia