LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Thanks for the great advice all and yes I am staying for 10 days in Japan. But it seems like everyone is highly recommending Kyoto so maybe I will do some reconsideration in terms of the time I want to spend there. Only reason why I considered staying longer in Osaka was the fact that since I am landing Osaka I might as well spend a little more time here.

In terms of travel Osaka looks relatively close to Kyoto, so perhaps I could have my hotel in Osaka while traveling to kyoto to check it out and perhaps spend 2 or 3 days there which seems to be what MMM is also recommending. Does that sound like a better idea?

Thanks also for the great destinations in kyoto and advice Kenmei and Raisthlin.

You can do dinners/bars/clubs in Osaka (hotel there) and spend a day or two in Kyoto for sight-seeing.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

09-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Except his is only spending 10 days in Japan. I agree, there is more to see, as a tourist, in Kyoto than Osaka. 1/2 a day is not enough (but you can spend the night in Osaka)
ahh thx. i made a mistake about how long hes going to be there.

But the fact reminds that if your planning to do those 3 cities only, half of your trip should be dedicated to kyoto. 3-4 days would be ok.

what i would do would be 1 day osaka, 4 days kyoto, 1 day nara or kamakura, 4 days tokyo

oh and heres another piece of advice. pay close attention to whatever MMM says. he helped me a great deal when i was planning my trip this summer and is advice did proved more then useful.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

09-30-2008, 04:08 AM

I agree that Kyoto is a beautiful place to see - there's culture falling over itself round every corner - fantastic. I think you can stay in Osaka and travel to Kyoto during the day - that's what I did when I went down there and it was only 30 minutes or so to Kyoto as I remember - not long anyway.

Tokyo has some must see sights for me. If you love funky places try Odaiba - so much to do there is something for everyone - future science museum, hot spring baths edo style, shops and shops and shops, joypolis a big game and ride area right next to the shops and a big showroom dedicated to Toyota where you can even drive one of their cars.

Nights out - you should try Shibuya or Shinjuku if you don't want to be where all the foreigners are - generally they end up in Roppongi. Good venues can be found here Secobar Shibuya Tokyo (Nightclub) check the links down the left : )

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#14 (permalink))
Old
scott (Offline)
New to JF

10-01-2008, 08:10 PM

thanks for the tons of help you guys have given me so far we identified some points of interest we are interested in seeing not necessarily all of them. We plan on putting more places on our brainstorm list and hopefully after that we can decide which are the ones we will actaully set out to do.

Osaka Science and Technology Museum
Osaka Castle
Namba District
Nara Buddha Statue
Kinkakuji
Mount Kyoto
Kyoto International Manga Museum
(#15 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
10-01-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
thanks for the tons of help you guys have given me so far we identified some points of interest we are interested in seeing not necessarily all of them. We plan on putting more places on our brainstorm list and hopefully after that we can decide which are the ones we will actaully set out to do.

Osaka Science and Technology Museum
Osaka Castle
Namba District
Nara Buddha Statue
Kinkakuji
Mount Kyoto
Kyoto International Manga Museum
sounds good, if you can get that all in in 3 days. It's better that you decide most of the stuff for yourself, cos its your vacation! I don't like when people come here and say "going to tokyo for 2 weeks where should I go lolz" how should we know? We don't know any of your interests. Regardless, have tons of fun and takes as many pics as you can

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#16 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

10-02-2008, 11:56 PM

ride the rush hour train in the morning.
it doesn't get more japanese than that.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-03-2008, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
ride the rush hour train in the morning.
it doesn't get more japanese than that.
Well, to give a counter opinion, rush hour trains with white gloved station men pushing people into cars is the stereotype of life in Japan, and many people in America think ALL trains are like that ALL the time. That is only in Tokyo at certain stations at certain times in the morning.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

10-03-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Well, to give a counter opinion, rush hour trains with white gloved station men pushing people into cars is the stereotype of life in Japan, and many people in America think ALL trains are like that ALL the time. That is only in Tokyo at certain stations at certain times in the morning.
true....so ride chuo line, denentoshi line or tozai line between 7.45 and 8.45.
i am certain someone else can tell u "their" crowded line.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-04-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
true....so ride chuo line, denentoshi line or tozai line between 7.45 and 8.45.
i am certain someone else can tell u "their" crowded line.
I am not saying it doesn't happen, but it isn't universal. On the other hand, it is a pretty unique experience, as long as you aren't claustrophobic.