JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ChameleonSaint (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese Phone Card - 09-28-2008, 09:18 AM

I have seen some cheap phone cards on the internet offering about 4cents per minute to phone Australia from Japan. I would feel better purchasing a card from a store (like 7-11) in Tokyo rather then over the internet (some of the sites look questionable).
My question is can you buy cheap phone cards easily in Tokyo? I have seen the KDDI ones but the rate is very high.

Any advice on phone cards is appreciated.

Cheers
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

09-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Yes you can. I did buy a few cards while i was traveling around japan for a month. Hostels often have them for sale as well. There like 10$ for 100 minutes, more or less depending where you phone, all over the world.

Advice: using them can be tricky, make sure your read the small guide there gonna give you before using them. or ask staff at hostel to help you.

you could also use phone over IP to call home, but these needs a computer. I think having a phone card on you at all time is a good idea.

Last edited by Raisthlin : 09-29-2008 at 06:43 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ChameleonSaint (Offline)
New to JF

09-29-2008, 10:59 PM

Thanks Raisthlin, I agree. I am not always going to be able to have access to a computer so a phone card will be very handy. I have also bought some Skype credit.