JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
evanstar1985 (Offline)
New to JF

19 hours in Japan - is this feasible? - 10-04-2008, 08:58 AM

On Wednesday I fly from Sydney, Australia to London, England and I specifically picked a certain flight because it connects into Narita Airport and doesn't leave until 19 hours later.

I get in around 5.30pm and have to check in to fly out at about 10am the next morning.

My current plan is to go straight to my hotel from the airport (via a 10 minute shuttle bus) to dump my stuff off and maybe get an hour's sleep.

Then back to the airport where I want to train into Tokyo, stay out the whole night and get the early trains back the next morning.

So I want to know, is this feasible? By this, I mean:

-are there enough things going on all night to keep me amused?
-I've always wanted to see Shibuya and Shinjuku so can I get there and back easily?

I'm not too sure with the trains, right now it looks like I'll take the Narita Express into Tokyo, but from there I don't know enough about the metro system to be able to know how to get to Shibuya or what ticket to get or anything.

Can anyone help me out? Maybe tell me the best way to get to and from the airport and the city, if I'll need to use the subway after the Express, what to do, ANYTHING!!!

I'm pretty desperate for knowledge!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-04-2008, 03:03 PM

Yes, it's feasible, but drink lots of caffeine. Forget about the Narita Express, take the Airport limousine bus. You'll see their ticket counter in the terminal once you clear immigration and customs. The bus is faster, and will drop you off in front of Tokyo station. Either way you go, it takes about one hour to get to Tokyo Station.

To get to Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, etc. Walk into Tokyo Station and go to the ticket machines. Most are bilingual. Look up on the overhead map, and pick with station you wish to go to. There will be an amount in yen next to each place. Put some money into the machine, and select the amount you want a ticket for. The machine will give you change if any is due.

Go to the ticket gate and watch how people use their tickets to get through. You put the ticket in one side of the gate and pick it up at the other end when you pass through.

Take the Yamanote line train. The Yamanote line color is green, so just look for the name followed by the green stripe. All signs are bilingual in Japanese and English, so you'll have no trouble finding your way.

The Yamanote train runs in a large circle, and it stops at most of the tourist worthy places, like Akihabara, Ueno, Ikebukuro, Shibuya, and Harajuku. When you find the platform, look at the overhead signs and make sure you get on the train which is going in your direction.

You'll need to pass through the ticket gate again when you leave each station. If you chose the exact fair, the gate will keep the ticket. If you are a little short on the fare, you can pay the attendant located to one side or the other of the ticket gates.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Snail (Offline)
カタツムリ

Send a message via MSN to Snail
10-04-2008, 03:50 PM

Well if America has clubs and such at night, I am sure Japan has a similar kind of service. Or if you are not into that you could always go exploring or visit a museam.
Snail
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Yes, I agree with Sangetsu. It is definitely feasible... though it would probably be better if you got a morning flight and didn't leave until late at night

I also agree with Sangetsu on the Yamanote line... it takes you everywhere. You can get off at each stop and take pictures without having to pay the ticket (unless you leave the station platform). Just make sure you remember what color green the yamanote line is (they colorcode the lines) because I remember there were two greens, a lime green and a regular green.

You also might see people swiping their suica cards instead of actually putting in a ticket... make sure you don't be the idiot I was and actually try to swipe the ticket instead of putting it in the feed!

I did Shibuya, Akihabara, and Shinagawa all in about 4 and a half hours (including the ride around the whole Yamanote line)

I
沖縄           My blog
(#5 (permalink))
Old
evanstar1985 (Offline)
New to JF

10-05-2008, 04:27 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!

The situation is that I have to fly from Australia to England but I found some flights that stopped over in Narita for 19 hours. Having always wanted to go to Tokyo I figured I'd be able to get some time in there.

The trouble is that I can't get in and out of the city in one evening on my schedule, so I need to basically stay out all night.

You guys have definitely helped with the transport, so thanks for that! Are there enough people and stuff going on all through the night to keep me entertained? I.e. In New York City there would be, no question, in London, maybe not.

And what about for getting back to the airport in the morning, is the airport limousine bus the way to go again??
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-05-2008, 10:35 AM

Yes, you can take the Limousine bus. When you take the bus to Tokyo, make sure to get off at Tokyo Station. There is a prior stop at the city air terminal, so don't get off there. You'll catch the bus in the same place you got off, there will be a booth where you can buy a ticket.

There is plenty to see at night, even if it's just walking the city streets. Just try not to get lost. If you do, get a cab and tell them to take you to which ever station you got off the train at, like "Shibuya Eki made onegaishimasu" -Shibuya station please-
(#7 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
10-06-2008, 06:10 AM

You can easily spend a whole night in Tokyo, just make sure you find somewhere you want to stay for a good portion of the evening. I should mention that the Yamanote and other such train lines will shut down at around 12:00-12:30am, so unless you're gonna take a cab to get somewhere, you're gonna be in that area until about 5am or so when the trains are up and running again. If you're looking for clubs and party places, Shibuya or Shinjuku are your best bet. If you're looking for other things, then let us know and I'm sure we can point you int he right direction.

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-06-2008, 06:40 AM

And be careful. Just because it is Japan doesn't mean that Shibuya or Shinjuku is Disneyland in the middle of the night. Have your luggage stored and don't have more cash than you need (20,000 or 30,000 yen) on you.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
10-06-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
And be careful. Just because it is Japan doesn't mean that Shibuya or Shinjuku is Disneyland in the middle of the night. Have your luggage stored and don't have more cash than you need (20,000 or 30,000 yen) on you.
Good point MMM. I've seen plenty of shady characters around at night there. Might I recommend staying away from kabuki-cho in Shinjuku, that's where I've seen the most shady characters in one place before in the city.

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#10 (permalink))
Old
evanstar1985 (Offline)
New to JF

10-06-2008, 10:39 AM

I have to thank you guys so much, this is really helpful.

I'm aware that the trains shut down around midnight so I am in the process of picking where to stay for that 5-6 hour period. I've heard that Shibuya and Shinjuku have plenty to see; I've heard that Roppongi is pretty much 24/7 but a lot of gaijin around; my friend recommended Akihabara for arcades and general technology but I'd assume that isn't all night??

And don't worry, all my stuff will be back at my hotel so I'll just have a camera and enough money.