JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BobTheBear (Offline)
New to JF

Osaka to Hiroshima - 09-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm flying into Osaka (Kansai) with a few friends in a few weeks to have 7-days looking to buy some Koi. I am meeting a friend in Hiroshima, so as I understand it I need to get a bullet train from Osaka airport to Hiroshima.

How do I go about purchasing a ticket once I've landed at Osaka?

Is it the bullet train I need?

How long is the journey?

Is food/drink purchasable on the train, if so what am I likely to get for choice?

Thanks for any replies, or anything else you can add.

Thanks Bob
(#2 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-21-2008, 08:56 PM

you will land at Kansai Airport. That is an important distinction because Osaka has two airports. After going through customs and immigration you will go outside. There are signs directing you to the different forms of transportation. You will cross over a bridge and then there are two different train companies. Go to the JR ticket booth/kiosks. If you use the kiosks hit the english button on the lower right of the screen. Select the limited express to Shinkansen option. Now you will have to chose where you get on and off the Shinkansen(bullet train). Get on at Shin-Osaka and off at Hiroshima. You will have options for which trains to take, some will have more transfers than others. Also, you need to make sure you have time to transfer trains at Shin-Osaka where you will get on the Shinkansen. Both times I have flown into Kansai, the first train was late. Last time it was so late that even though I had chosen a Shinkansen that was supposed to depart 20 minutes after my first train arrived I only had 2 minutes to make the transfer once my train arrived at Shin-Osaka. Fortunately Shin-Osaka is a small station that is easy to get around so I made my train. I think you can also chose to just take the limited express train to Shin-Osaka and then buy Shinkansen tickets at Shin-Osaka.

The train ride takes about 50 minutes from Kansai airport to Shin-Osaka and then 1 1/2 hours from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima.

Yes there is food and drink on the train. The food is usually small snacks, sandwiches, and I think a couple simple bentos. The drinks are juiceses, beer, sake, and soda. However, most people buy their food before they get on the train. I have only bought Ice cream and juice on the train.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
BobTheBear (Offline)
New to JF

09-22-2008, 05:09 AM

StrangGuy,

Thats a very helpful reply thanks.

The JR Kiosk you mention, this sounds like an automated machine, which I guess takes yen. Any rough I dea what this train journey costs and also does the machine give change at all? Not sure yet what demonination yen we will have with us.

Should the machine be too complicated for me, is there a booth with a person in it who I can talk to in English?

The train station at Shinn-Osaka, I'm guessing it's obvious where to go for the bullet train?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-22-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBear View Post
StrangGuy,

Thats a very helpful reply thanks.

The JR Kiosk you mention, this sounds like an automated machine, which I guess takes yen. Any rough I dea what this train journey costs and also does the machine give change at all? Not sure yet what demonination yen we will have with us.

Should the machine be too complicated for me, is there a booth with a person in it who I can talk to in English?

The train station at Shinn-Osaka, I'm guessing it's obvious where to go for the bullet train?
You can use a machine or use a booth. Shinkansen station employees are used to dealing with foreigners, and most can speak English. The machines also have an English option, and all bills will get change. The money/machine technology is decades ahead of the US.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
BobTheBear (Offline)
New to JF

09-22-2008, 05:17 AM

MMM,

That's very helpful, thanks

I guess what the Japanese have for machines, we get in the West a few years later!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-22-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBear View Post
MMM,

That's very helpful, thanks

I guess what the Japanese have for machines, we get in the West a few years later!
If ever...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2008, 05:43 AM

Price for a one way trip is about 12,000 yen if I remember correctly. Go toHyperdia Japan use Kansai as the origin and Hiroshima as the destination and you will get a search of the train schedules. It includes the fare prices and a couple versions of the schedule and different options for the trains that you could take.

The machines take up to 10,000 yen notes and give change. The human manned counter is right next to the kiosk and there are also helpful employees hovering near the machines. The first time I went through Kansai I couldn't get through the turnstile and they helped me. At Shin-Osaka once you get off the train look for a sign that says Shinkansen it should lead you to the right platform. If you get confused find a train station employee and show them your ticket they will understand and help you get in the right direction.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-22-2008, 06:03 AM

Another thing also, Express Trains from Kansai Airport and Shinkansen have 2 types of seats, Reserve and Non-Reserve. There is a slight different in prices between the 2. If you want to get a sure seat, take the Reserved Seat.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2008, 07:54 AM

Just another option... I never once took the Shinkansen in my 2 years in Japan, it was too expensive IMO. You definitely can get from Osaka to Hiroshima by local trains, I did it. I think it took about 6 hours, maybe a little more because I stopped for a quick lunch. If you are in Japan during a time when the 18-kippu is available, you can use 1 of the tickets and then the trip will cost only 22 dollars, about 1/5 or 1/6 the cost of the bullet train. Yeah, it's much slower, but if you've got the time, why not save the money?

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
BobTheBear (Offline)
New to JF

09-22-2008, 03:48 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the detailed replies and links. Certainly feel like I'll know what to do when we get there.

Will probably take the more expensive quicker bullet train, as flying in from England is a 12-hour event to start off with. Also with time going forward 8-hours and probably not too much sleep, getting to Hiroshima quickly will be important.

Just need to work out what to do in Horoshima on the Saturday, before meeting up with our Koi Dealer on the Sunday.