LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-21-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
I wasn't aware of the numbers, but then I guess its something that they can reuse if they do win the 2016 summer game bid.

On that note MMM, any "insider" info concerning the 2016 bid? Does it look like Tokyo will get it?
It all depends on how much they are willing to bribe the IOC. After China, I imagine that it's getting pretty expensive, I wouldn't be surprised to see IOC members buying apartments at the Plaza Hotel in NYC.

OP, don't worry about Kyoto, you could spend a month exploring Tokyo and still not see it all. You have a few of the "must see" places listed. Roppongi Hills and Roppongi are different places. Roppongi Hills is where the wealthier expats live and shop (and work), Roppongi is a seedier (and smellier) place were foreigners go to hang out together over a beer or whatever. I'm sure you aren't visiting Tokyo just so you can drink at an Irish pub or Australian bar.

You should add a Disney park or two to your list, and you should definitely add Odaiba. Yokohama is also a lot of fun, and the shops are less expensive than those in metro Tokyo.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Gwenster (Offline)
New to JF

10-21-2008, 06:50 AM

One more question popped my mind after having read a few things here and there about Tokyo transit.
There is apperantly a green coloured chip ? based card that you can put credit on.
This card is valid to use for metro and (JR) train, just pass a gate and it deducts your money.
Something they still havent worked out fully yet in my own country :P

What`s the name of this card and is there a specific booth or machine to get it from ?

Cause i`d rather pocket that than going to probably one of the many different kinds of vending machines that multiple public transport companies may or may not have.
Hmmm ,now that I think of it I think Houseteek may have mentioned this card somewhere in his Tokyo guides, better re-read those as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Have you thought about making it half/half. Like spend some cheap days in Ueno and than head for a nice place in Shibuya for 2 days?
Actually, I have never tought about splitting it up like that.
That`s a great suggestion !
I will be packing light, so moving to another hotel won`t prove that much of a hassle.

With that suggestion in mind I was thinking about sleeping in Shibuya for the weekend I arrive there (I arrive on a Saturday morning) and pull 2 "all niters" or in my case probably till 4 AM ish , not having to worry about catching the last train and just walking back, that way sleeping 6 hours still wakes me up around 10.
That way I`ll have seen the nightlife of Tokyo and (hopefully) get rid of my jetlag :-)

Monday I would then move to Ueno and stay there for the duration of my trip.
I will be skipping Kyoto on this trip, since it`s already more or less planned that i`m going with my best mate to Japan in 2009 for two weeks, which will net me more than just 2 days Kyoto which I think the place deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Roppongi Hills and Roppongi are different places.
Haven`t tought of that before.
Just checked a map I have of the different Tokyo areas.
Indeed, Roppongi hills looks like a small hub to the left of the general area around Roppongi station.
This is good to know beforehand :-)

Quote:
I'm sure you aren't visiting Tokyo just so you can drink at an Irish pub or Australian bar.
Hehe - no . Plenty of those in Amsterdam where I live plus I haven`t gone to a Irish pub in nearly a year.

Quote:
You should definitely add Odaiba. Yokohama is also a lot of fun, and the shops are less expensive than those in metro Tokyo.
Odaiba, Yokohama are both on my list of places to see, tough I think I will skip Disneyland, already having been to the one in Paris two times.
I`ve heard if you`ve seen one of them you`ve seen them all.

Thanks for all the great tips guys, it`s truly been helpfull.
I`ve been quite busy lately but today I am finally going to sit down and put all the things on my list in a concrete plan by day.
So that I have a structured list of what to see, and what things of interest are in that area.
Offcourse I wont pack it tightly since I have a feeling I will be wandering around alot But some sort of structure is always good.

Last edited by Gwenster : 10-21-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Houseteek reference
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

10-21-2008, 07:13 AM

I feel most of your questions seems to be answered hope you'll have alot of fun.

I think whether you stay in Ueno,Shibuya etc. will not matter all that much, both are very nice places to be. And on the Yamanote line which is really good. Otherwise travelling by train or subway is not hard in Tokyo, just get a train/subway map and you should be able to figure it out, and when you can't, people will help you if you ask.

If you are here on a sunday, I recommend you to go to Harajuku and enjoy the day there. In the area just at the JR Harajuku station (yamanote line) and around the entrance to Yoyogi park (close by) there is just so much fun and life on sundays!

なんでやねん!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
10-21-2008, 02:26 PM

About the "green chip thingy touchi card", it is called Suica Card and you can bassicly buy it everywhere in the Stations. You will pay a deposit (its 500yem if im right (or 1000?)) anyway, you can get that back if you return the card. To charge the card you can just go to a vending machine, put the card in and it will ask you how much you want to charge. After you choose how much, just enter the money. It it really the easiest way to get around, because it works through your wallet and so makes the search for the card unnecessary.
Im not sure about getting the money back wich is left on the card, but ill assume you can get it back when returning the card. You could also keep it till your next trip in Japan (im not sure if Kyoto has Suica or if it is a different card like in Hokkaido).

Happy i could help you by suggesting the split option. I would book at least the Shibuya nights in advance because weekends tend to be more packed. In Uneo theres alot of place to stay, so i guess youll be alright (i would book in advance anyway).

Oh you can also pay in some places with that card, especially around or inside the station (like convinience store) but also in some restaurants and many vending machines around the Station (and buses,....)

Cheers

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

10-22-2008, 09:48 AM

Roppongi Hills and Roppongi are located right next to each other, but they are different worlds. I like the Outback steakhouse in Roppongi, and Zest Cantina, but those are the only reasons I go there.

Near Roppongi is the Midtown shopping center. It's a wonderful place to buy traditional Japanese gifts (rather than the Chinese made Japanese gifts which you'll find at Asakusa), but it's an expensive place, bring a platinum credit card.

Henbaka mentioned Harajuku. Some think Harajuku is wonderful, while others think it symbolizes all that is wrong with modern Japan. But it's good to see for yourself. There is also a Puma outlet there which can custom make a pair of shoes for you; they make a good souvenir of Japan, and the sneaker freaks will be in awe of you.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

10-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Henbaka mentioned Harajuku. Some think Harajuku is wonderful, while others think it symbolizes all that is wrong with modern Japan. But it's good to see for yourself. There is also a Puma outlet there which can custom make a pair of shoes for you; they make a good souvenir of Japan, and the sneaker freaks will be in awe of you.
I'm sure people can both hate and love it. But it's hard to not feel the positive spirit of Harajuku and Yoyogi park on Sundays.

(That Puma outlet, I dunnow if I've been there... Where is that if you're coming from the Jr Stn. ?)

なんでやねん!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

10-27-2008, 12:18 AM

Cross the street from the station, like you are going to the old Snoopy Town. Go right to the intersection, and turn left, heading toward Omotesando Hills. The Puma outlet is a short distance ahead on the left.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-27-2008, 02:31 AM

The Kansai version of Suica, is ICOCA. I think Suica cards would work in Kansai , as long as there is still money left in it.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------