JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
NagasakiRenn (Offline)
New to JF

Ishiya, Nagasaki prefecture - 10-11-2008, 03:44 PM

so I'm doing the ever popular teach abroad in japan thing, and I just got my placement: a town called Ishiya in Nagasaki prefecture. Problem is, I am not entirely convinced that this town actually exists. after pretty exhaustive internet searches and pouring over maps of nagasaki prefecture, I haven't been able to even locate the town, let alone any information about it. My liason is unable to provide any other information besides the name, but she spelled it out, and I know that Ishiya is the exact name she was given. In fact, the only substantial information I can find on an Ishiya, Japan is a chocolate factory in Sapporo. There is a town in Nagasaki prefecture called Isahaya, and I suppose it's possible that somewhere along the line the name of the town got mixed up, but my liason was pretty confident that it was called Ishiya. Has anyone heard of this town, or have any advice for someone (presumably) moving to Nagasaki prefecture in the near future?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

10-11-2008, 03:59 PM

I'm definitely leaning towards a typo on Isahaya. Because of all the village mergers in Nagasaki-ken, there aren't very many towns or cities; "Ishiya" doesn't come up on any lists.

I've never lived any further south than the Chubu area, so I don't have any useful advice for living in Nagasaki, other than prepare for some wicked heat and humidity.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#3 (permalink))
Old
NagasakiRenn (Offline)
New to JF

10-11-2008, 04:18 PM

That's what I was assuming. I'm arriving in Japan in a few days so I suppose I'll find out for sure then. Thanks a lot for the help!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-11-2008, 05:54 PM

Is your liason Japanese?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
NagasakiRenn (Offline)
New to JF

10-12-2008, 04:30 PM

I believe she is Japanese American, but I'm not sure if she actually speaks japanese herself or not. Her company is actually an independant contractor that finds new hirees in other countries; as yet I haven't actually spoken with a representative from my company.

Just to give some more information, the company I'm going with is Peppy-Kids Club (www.peppy-kids.com). The hiring company is I believe called Zaku International, but I could be wrong about that name.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-12-2008, 05:31 PM

Do you not feel comfortable telling her you can't find Ishiya on a map?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
NagasakiRenn (Offline)
New to JF

10-12-2008, 10:04 PM

no, the issue is that it's very difficult to get in contact with her, I'll leave a message and hear back from her a week later. It's not a huge deal where I get placed, I'm just happy enough to be going at all, I was just hoping to learn about my city a bit before I arrived. I'm sure it's just a mix up in the name.