JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

Traveling to Furano - 10-23-2008, 12:29 PM

Hi Guys,

My fiancee really wants to go to Furano to see the lavender field (Or if someone else can suggest an alternate location). I never been to Hokkaido in my life, a quick check on JR's site suggest that its a 13 hours (Minimum) train ride if I am to travel there from Tokyo Station without flying. Is this accurate?

How far is the farm from the main Furano station? I want to see if I can do this in 2 days (Day 1 travel there, Day 2, visit the farm and go back to Tokyo late night)

Thoughts?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
10-29-2008, 05:53 AM

There is one thing you should make sure before heading out there and that is that you are in season! When i was there the lavender season was over, though the Autum field was also beatifull.
The "famous" farm there is the farm Tomita wich has its own train station from where it is a 10 minutes walk. (its around 20min by scenic train from Furano) You will have to take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hachinohe and than change to the Limited express to Sapporo, from there youll probably have to go by local train. hyperdia says around 13 hours from Tokyo to Furano. I would suggest you head out in the morning and go up to Furano. Stay the night in Furano and head to the Farm in the next morning. If you really have to get back on that day i can only suggest a sleeper train from sapporo to Tokyo, wich will cost you extra if you travel with a railpass, otherwise it will be around the same as the shinkansen/limited express going up.
I would suggest that you dont head back in one day, but in 2. Choose a place between Furano and Tokyo wich you would like to see and make a stopover there ( eg. Sapporo, Hakodate,....) and than head back to Tokyo the next morning, because once you have made it to Hachinohe its only around 3 hours to Tokyo.

Hope i could help you somehow. if you have more questions feel free to ask

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-29-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
There is one thing you should make sure before heading out there and that is that you are in season! When i was there the lavender season was over, though the Autum field was also beatifull.
The "famous" farm there is the farm Tomita wich has its own train station from where it is a 10 minutes walk. (its around 20min by scenic train from Furano) You will have to take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hachinohe and than change to the Limited express to Sapporo, from there youll probably have to go by local train. hyperdia says around 13 hours from Tokyo to Furano. I would suggest you head out in the morning and go up to Furano. Stay the night in Furano and head to the Farm in the next morning. If you really have to get back on that day i can only suggest a sleeper train from sapporo to Tokyo, wich will cost you extra if you travel with a railpass, otherwise it will be around the same as the shinkansen/limited express going up.
I would suggest that you dont head back in one day, but in 2. Choose a place between Furano and Tokyo wich you would like to see and make a stopover there ( eg. Sapporo, Hakodate,....) and than head back to Tokyo the next morning, because once you have made it to Hachinohe its only around 3 hours to Tokyo.

Hope i could help you somehow. if you have more questions feel free to ask
Thanks, that helps, just that i never been to Hokkaido ever in my life, a bit lost while looking info up and planning. Thanks a bunch
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-30-2008, 12:43 AM

check out JAL also. I think they have a discount if you buy the ticket a month or two before your actual flight ( domestic ). It will be lot cheaper and faster than taking the shinkansen..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-30-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
check out JAL also. I think they have a discount if you buy the ticket a month or two before your actual flight ( domestic ). It will be lot cheaper and faster than taking the shinkansen..
Any idea roughly how much that will cost? My wedding is not till October, so as pointed out, its likely that my Honeymoon will not be in season for lavender anyways, but i may bring her back just so she can see it
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-30-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Any idea roughly how much that will cost? My wedding is not till October, so as pointed out, its likely that my Honeymoon will not be in season for lavender anyways, but i may bring her back just so she can see it
first congrats on your upcoming wedding

anyways, the only one I know for now is to Kagoshima, cause my friend was able to use it, I think she paid roughly half the airfare only. You can maybe call JAL for details if its applicable in Hokkaido or if they are still offering it

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-30-2008, 12:13 PM

I just thought about one more option.
You could go up to Furano in one day (by Shinkansen and train), the next day visit the Farm and after that head to Tomakomai. From there take the Ferry to Hachinohe where you would arrive in the morning. In Hachinohe hopp on the Shinkansen and zipp back to Tokyo.

I actually think that the airfare to Sapporo will be around the same as the shinkansen/ltd. express anyway, i just thought you might plan to buy an Railpass

A quick check on Enter the station name showed me a trip from Tokyo station to Furano in 5hours 24 min for 26 030 yen.
The same with a Shinkansen/ltd express combination will take 12 hours 35 min and cost 24 210yen. So its definetly worth to try to fly. it will cost you around 1000$ for the 2 of you if you dont have a railpass (a 7 day pass is around 28 000 yen per Person so roughly 600$ for a 7 day all Japan free pass for the 2 off you (like said before you would have to pay the sleeper train extra))

Firebird

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-30-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I just thought about one more option.
You could go up to Furano in one day (by Shinkansen and train), the next day visit the Farm and after that head to Tomakomai. From there take the Ferry to Hachinohe where you would arrive in the morning. In Hachinohe hopp on the Shinkansen and zipp back to Tokyo.

I actually think that the airfare to Sapporo will be around the same as the shinkansen/ltd. express anyway, i just thought you might plan to buy an Railpass

A quick check on Enter the station name showed me a trip from Tokyo station to Furano in 5hours 24 min for 26 030 yen.
The same with a Shinkansen/ltd express combination will take 12 hours 35 min and cost 24 210yen. So its definetly worth to try to fly. it will cost you around 1000$ for the 2 of you if you dont have a railpass (a 7 day pass is around 28 000 yen per Person so roughly 600$ for a 7 day all Japan free pass for the 2 off you (like said before you would have to pay the sleeper train extra))

Firebird
Money is not important in this whole thing, if 1000 is all that it cost then whatever... i mean if i am taking a separate trip just for Furano, it may even cost more
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-31-2008, 04:39 AM

Alright, than you should definetly take the plane as it will be faster if you plan well!