JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Onsen Etiquette? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/20372-onsen-etiquette.html)

Trouble 10-27-2008 11:29 PM

Onsen Etiquette?

What are some good things to do at an onsen (hot spring) in Japan? I never really learned the proper things to do, other than strip down and jump in.

Harold 10-27-2008 11:33 PM

One thing: Relax. :)

Trouble 10-27-2008 11:37 PM

That's it? I heard not to wet your towel or swim. I don't I just sit there in the water, naked. But is that really it?

samokan 10-27-2008 11:51 PM

1. Before jumping in, it is good to wash first.
2. You are allowed to bring a small towel inside the onsen but do not dip it in the water.
3. Swimming? the water is shallow and hot, how can you swim in it and besides you might bump into the other clientele. I did that but that was when me and my friend where the only one inside that time. Just fooling around a bit.

There are a lot of sites on how to use the onsen, just google :D

Paul11 10-28-2008 12:10 AM

Look at the two great threads about onsen that we already had. they are full of good stuff that you are searching for.

Nyororin 10-28-2008 12:11 AM

Mainly it really is only for relaxation. After you`ve bathed well, get in and enjoy the heat.
You never put soap, towels etc into the onsen (unless you`re on TV and covering your private spots ;D ), and it`s best to try to avoid getting your hair into the water also.

Basically, you want to sit and soak. Onsen are generally quite hot, plus the water itself has minerals, so the heat feels quite different from that you`d experience in a home bath. Not to mention that a lot are outside where the contrast between the cool air and the hot bath is really striking.

jasonbvr 10-28-2008 12:53 PM

My onsen tip is to soak your towel in really cold water. Then put it on top of your head while you soak in the hot bath.

Also rinse off the stool once you finish your shower and leave the little bucket upside down so that water doesn't collect in it.

Lastly bring your own mini bottles of shampoo and soap because that body wash and rinse stuff will dry your precious locks out in no time.

godwine 10-28-2008 01:04 PM

Not sure if this is something that applies. Act mature. I was in Hakone at a resort last year, there was a tour group of some sort from either Taiwan or China, one of the tour member start joking around with other members, swinging Mr Happy, making gesture saying that he is big and amazing.

All the old man at the onsen (locals) were disgusted and left giving him a really really hateful look. We left too.

So bottom line is, act mature, but thats a given regardless where you are

Wasabista 10-28-2008 02:56 PM

Basically that's it -- just soak and relax. Loud and boisterous behavior is frowned on, but chatting with friends (and strangers) is cool. Also, singing is traditional. You'll often see groups of people singing -- especially the famous onsen song, "Ii O-yu da na!"

odonata 10-31-2008 05:38 PM

I am going to have to recommend the onsen theme park at Odaiba. Apart from the touristy shop and entertainment section the onsen itself is awesome.
They have two outside onsen and various inside onsen as well as a sauna and cold plunge pool.

If you want to do onsen and need to practice then the Odaiba onsen is a good place to pick up tips.

To go one better then hire a room with private onsen in places like Hakone.