JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

Looking for a gift to bring back? - 10-31-2008, 05:49 PM

I have two cheap gift ideas (well one is free) for you to try out.
First you can find some shops in Akihabara near the bridge that will sell you dummie mobile phones from anywhere between ¥100 and ¥1000
These are the phones you see on display everywhere but some shops in Akiba sell them after they have gone out of production. Production numbers usually cost about the ¥1000 mark.

My next tip requires you be bold and also get up early...
Have you ever sat on a Japanese train and looked at the advertising posters? well you can get your own copy if you know where to go.
For me I was close to Ueno keisei and discovered the guys changing the posters in the morning. I asked if I could go through the pile of removed posters and was told OK! I removed about 15 posters that I liked, gave my thanks and left.

So I get back home and go and find some frames (bargin deal was found) and frame up my posters and hand them out as gifts.

Marc

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-01-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata View Post
I have two cheap gift ideas (well one is free) for you to try out.
First you can find some shops in Akihabara near the bridge that will sell you dummie mobile phones from anywhere between ¥100 and ¥1000
These are the phones you see on display everywhere but some shops in Akiba sell them after they have gone out of production. Production numbers usually cost about the ¥1000 mark.

My next tip requires you be bold and also get up early...
Have you ever sat on a Japanese train and looked at the advertising posters? well you can get your own copy if you know where to go.
For me I was close to Ueno keisei and discovered the guys changing the posters in the morning. I asked if I could go through the pile of removed posters and was told OK! I removed about 15 posters that I liked, gave my thanks and left.

So I get back home and go and find some frames (bargin deal was found) and frame up my posters and hand them out as gifts.

Marc
Good ideas!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

11-07-2008, 12:42 PM

I like that too! I would never have thought of it!

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-07-2008, 01:39 PM

I do that last one around England! usually with movie posters.. My bedroom is covered in them! I've been promised a 6ftx4ft pokemon platinum poster from a shop in town too! woop!