JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

To Nippon! - 11-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Hey peeps just trying to clear my doubts in preparations for my upcoming trip in december to japan Tokyo,Please answer any of them if u can
1)What kind of Train passes exists in the tokyo metro's line?and which is worth it?
2)Is Osaka/Kyoto worth the time to travel from Tokyo in a 10 day trip?
3)Is Disneyland worth going to?
4)Coming from somewhere with no winter i have absolutely no idea what to expect when i hit there from 20 december onwards.Can anyone please tell me what kind of weather should i expect.And how much clothing is neccesary?
5)where do you think christmas is best spent in tokyo?

Alright peeps please do reccomend/post all the spots/activities u believe to be worth going/doing.It can range from anything from a fancy restaurant to a roadside ramen shop,Locations such akihabara ,shibuya ,ginza Etc

Lastly i know this is a bit odd,But for those of u with any knowledge regarding where i could possibly play a game of football in tokyo will be much appreciated.

Thats all i can think of now,Cheers!=)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2008, 01:41 PM

1) Lots of them including a day pass and weekly pass. Others available between specific stations once you have a job. Useful if you plan to use the metro intensively during that time.
2) Absolutely! Both are, but Kyoto and Nara more so.
3) Nah.
4) About the same as Washington DC.
5) With your sexeh laydeh! Christmas is a romantic holiday here, take your Japanese girlfriend to dinner and then a love hotel.

As for football, lots of clubs advertised in local free gaijin rags, just join up and don't be shy.

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-11-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagamama View Post
Hey peeps just trying to clear my doubts in preparations for my upcoming trip in december to japan Tokyo,Please answer any of them if u can
1)What kind of Train passes exists in the tokyo metro's line?and which is worth it?
4)Coming from somewhere with no winter i have absolutely no idea what to expect when i hit there from 20 december onwards.Can anyone please tell me what kind of weather should i expect.And how much clothing is neccesary?

Alright peeps please do reccomend/post all the spots/activities u believe to be worth going/doing.It can range from anything from a fancy restaurant to a roadside ramen shop,Locations such akihabara ,shibuya ,ginza Etc

Lastly i know this is a bit odd,But for those of u with any knowledge regarding where i could possibly play a game of football in tokyo will be much appreciated.

You decision with the train pass should be made base on whether you are going to Osaka or not. What are some of your interest? Osaka is a big city, you probably want to go there if you are into specialty food, there are tones and tones of good food in Osaka, otherwise, it has nothing more than what Tokyo or Yokohama can offer. For a 10 day trip, I would do the following:

- 2 days Kyoto
- 1 day Nara and Fushimi Inari
- 1 or 2 days Osaka
- 1 day Yokohama
- Remaining Days Tokyo

Disney is much smaller than the one in North America, so if you've been to the one in Orlando or in LA, I won't bother going there. Again, depending on what you are interested in seeing/doing, the above may not be of interest to you at all

December should be around -2 to -8 with some minor snow, but its not too bad. Most people can survive with a nice jacket, a scarf, gloves and sweater

No comment on Christmas, decorations are all over the place, but being a Shinto and Buddism country, there are little celebration. Sightseeing you can do at Daiba, for a nice dinner, do it in Ginza.

Football (We call it Soccer in North America), there should be a roof top stadium (If i remember correctly) around Shibuya or Shinjuku, you may be able to just watch and see if they will let you join in a friendly game. But I cannot confirm that
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

11-11-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
December should be around -2 to -8 with some minor snow, but its not too bad. Most people can survive with a nice jacket, a scarf, gloves and sweater
In Tokyo? All my friends told me it would barely be minus degrees, and that snow is rare. The colder the better tho, as far as I am concerned..

To the OP: I dunno about many of your questions, but if you're here a limited time, I'd say skip Disneyland and enjoy something japanese instead!

Tips from me:

* Harajuku on a sunday.
* Ochanomizu if you like music & instruments.
* Small restaurants.
* Thunder dolphin! (the roller coaster in Tokyo dome, costs 1k yen AFAIK and gives you a nice Tokyo view, besides being fun that is...)
* Walking around Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ginza etc after sundown!
* Arcade halls in Akihabara.

なんでやねん!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-12-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
In Tokyo? All my friends told me it would barely be minus degrees, and that snow is rare. The colder the better tho, as far as I am concerned..

To the OP: I dunno about many of your questions, but if you're here a limited time, I'd say skip Disneyland and enjoy something japanese instead!

Tips from me:

* Harajuku on a sunday.
* Ochanomizu if you like music & instruments.
* Small restaurants.
* Thunder dolphin! (the roller coaster in Tokyo dome, costs 1k yen AFAIK and gives you a nice Tokyo view, besides being fun that is...)
* Walking around Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ginza etc after sundown!
* Arcade halls in Akihabara.
Agree, its rare to see anything below 0, but I've seen it before, so might as well be prepared for it, better safe than sorry

I agree with Harajuku on Sunday..... Do stay in yokohama for a night, the land mark tower observatory is great at night
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SakanaMidori (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SakanaMidori Send a message via Skype™ to SakanaMidori
11-12-2008, 02:10 AM

So jealous, oh my gosh!

I'd recommend Nara. I've never been, but that's the number one spot I WANT to go to, and this way, if it sucks, you can let me know and I can get a new country(Ha! Like that's possilbe)!^^

まるかいをいきましょう!!
まるかいとみつわはいちばんですよ!!
Irony rules the world.
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8v...order="0" alt=
Proud to be a Japanophile--that is, if you know what the word REALLY means.
Fellow Japanophiles:
RetroGamer77
MMM
Kireikoori
Akoni
Amnell
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

11-12-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagamama View Post

1. Depends on what you want. There are ( as the other mentioned ) day passes, weekly and so on. Inquire at the airport on what available train ticket you can avail. There are lots specially for tourist. Check japanguide.com too.

2. Yes. Especially Kyoto.
3. Do you love them parks? Remember that all shows, and announcements are in Japanese
4. Temperature might be below 10C, it probably wont snow yet since its early winter. But if your clothes are not enough
5. Christmas in Japan is basically a "lovers event" . So most restaurants have lots of Christmas special dinner. Light up is also a major event.

What do you like to do? geeky stuff? music stuff ? historical ?

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#8 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

11-12-2008, 05:16 AM

I agree with other, Christmas is couples time in Japan, especially Christmas Eve. It is kind of weird because as soon as the 25th has been and gone all the Christmas decorations come down immediately - and I mean immediately. The big time of year here is New Year so you will see all the decorations going up for this.

Disneyland - if it's you're thing then fine otherwise I would choose something else. I would imagine that Kyoto would be nice at this time of year but have never been there in December.

In Tokyo visit the Marunouchi district around Tokyo station for some Christmas lights or try the waterfront along Odaiba, Shinjuku Takashimaya Times Square, or Omotesando.

Ebisu Garden Place is also usually very pretty at this time of year.

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

11-12-2008, 06:16 AM

there usually are Christmas countdown concerts and some trains extend their service.

a few years back here in Osaka, me and my friends went to a Christmas Countdown concert in Nanko Port town area.

I think maybe Disneyland will be operating 24 hours on that day, to give way to Christmas countdown. USJ usually does that every year. Just check their event schedule.

Last year I was in Tokyo, besides the decorations, it does not feel any christmas at all. I did enjoy a nice Christmas orchestra and spend my "noche buena" with my Cousin's family so it was nice..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#10 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob

11-12-2008, 09:12 AM

3. Disneyland is good for little kids and families, for older people Disneysea is better

4. Cold. Well actually it depends where you're coming from.. for me (Australia) its quite cold. I wore about 4 layers everyday - including a ski jacket

Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism