JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
To Japan By Next Year - 11-18-2008, 07:20 PM

Per usual dumbassery on my part, I missed the deadline to apply for the JET programme for this year (going Summer '09). No big deal, since I can apply for next year, or the next time it comes around.

Either way though, now I'm in an interesting position, not because JET was my last ditch effort, but because now I get to do it the old fashioned way: my own sweat and blood. So I have a few questions for those living in Japan, those that have been, and those that know a bit more than I do (which is a great deal of people):

1. How much money ($) should I save up before going? I have until the Spring of next year (Spring '09), which is, to my understanding, when the school semesters start in Japan.

2. I'm not a city guy, but a suburban boy. Therefore, for me, Tokyo's nice to visit, but not nice to live. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a nice suburban area I could look into living? It's early to think about I know, but I gotta' start somewhere.

3. Going off of #2, I know I have a very large down payment on an apartment when I first find a place to live. Given I'm looking to stay away from the more expensive cities, how much should I expect for a down payment?

4. I'm looking to teach English over there, which is most likely ESL. By the time I go over there, I'll have (at least) a Bachelor's degree in English with a focus in Writing. Are my qualifications good enough to get a decent teaching job in a high school setting or lower (I know I can't teach University with those qualifications)?

5. Since I'm not in the JET programme, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that I'm not set up with a job when I get over there. The smartest option for me right now is to try to find a job after I graduate, but before I get over there. Living in Southern California, how can I apply for a job in Japan, if such an opportunity is even possible?

I'm really going. By hook or by crook, I'm going to live in Japan for at least a year. I'll have more questions as time goes on I'm sure, but this is just what I can think of off the top of my head that's the more important and the most obvious questions. Any help anyone can give would be incredibly awesome.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-18-2008, 08:00 PM

You cannot go there without a job to live. Otherwise you will be on a three-month tourist visa, which will not allow you to be hired or rent an apartment.

There are all kinds of job-placement websites for English teachers in Japan. I would start there.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

11-20-2008, 05:43 AM

Hi Thirdsight,

You may be eligible for a holiday working visa depending on your age and country of origin. You can check that out with your country embassy.

Some people do come over here without a working vis and find work on arrival, but be warned that this is strictly illegal in immigration terms and the job market is not as bright as it once was - especially with the current global situation!

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
11-20-2008, 07:04 AM

Yeah, I've done a bit of digging based on your comments, and it's just plain smarter to get work in my country before coming to Japan. Otherwise, I'm on a tourist visa, can get a job, but have to go back stateside to get the working visa. It's a lot more hassle and a lot more money that I have to spend.

I've also come across something interesting in my research about teaching ESL, something referred to as the Big 4 or Big 5; in short those big name schools that teach English and are known for it, namely Berlitz, Aeon, Geos, and ECC (or EEC, I can't remember). It sounds nice, but a rather cold setting (though I do like the idea of starting a teaching career with a set curriculum, since I'll be starting with no experience teaching); I'm looking more into teaching at a smaller school.

Does anyone have any tips for selling myself to these smaller schools?

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.