JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
conniechiwa (Offline)
New to JF

Best Hiking/Scenic Travel Destinations for Nov/Dec - 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Hello, I am hoping some of the Japan experts here can help me. Here's a little background: I have been in Japan for the last three weeks and will be here another 2 and a half weeks. I currently have my JR Rail pass and will have it until December 5th. I wasn't able to do too much the first few weeks I was here, but in the last week or so, I visited Mt. Fuji and the surrounding area, which was absolutely spectacular! And also took a trip to Nara which was also very, very nice. I am living in Tokyo and have visited a lot of the shrines and neighborhoods, so I've really had my fill of the city.

Above all else, I really enjoy nature scenes, hiking, mountains, etc. While I still have my pass, I would like to visit each of the major areas of Japan (Hokkaido, Kyushu, etc.) and am wondering what are the most absolutely amazing spots to visit as far as nature scenes, hiking, etc?

I was thinking I would like to make a trip out to Hakodate in Hokkaido, but is it covered in snow right now? I'm not really into major cities, so I would like to avoid Sapporo if possible. Would Hakodate be a better choice seeing that it is smaller and more to the south (less snowy, more hospitable)? I don't mind a little snow, but not so much that it would be impossible to hike or walk around. Which national parks in the Hokkaido region are accessible right now (if any)?

As for other parts of Japan, which are the most beautiful and scenic? I know that the list could go on and on, but I'd like to know what people here think are the absolute best, most worthwhile spots, especially for this time of year. Would love to visit northern Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushu (heard Beppu is a must see).

Any advice or suggestions would be very, very highly appreciated!

Connie
(#2 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-24-2008, 03:12 PM

I've hiked alot in Kansai. Fushimi Inari is nice in fall. Also, Rokko in Kobe is nice. You will probably get to see some wild boar there.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
11-24-2008, 04:29 PM

Everything u north will be quite cold but my personal favourites for hiking (wich i did this summer) were:
Rebun Iland :wich is over Wakkanai in Hokkaido and most definetly to cold by now, Japan 2008/2009: Rebun Iland 2
Hakkoda-san: wich is an hour under Aomori and might still be do able. Book a night in the Sukayu onsen hotel and they will pick you up in Aomori. Let them drop you off on the Ropeway and take it to the top. Than its a nice 4 hours to the Onsen. enjoy the Onsen. BUT, this 4 hours involve climbing up to 1500meter, so check about trackcondition before you get there, i hiked in Oktober wich was still alright. Japan 2008/2009: Hakkouda-san, Sukayu Onsen
Muroran: there is a hike (well better call it a walk) form the youth hostel to the cape in Muroran (under Sapporo) wich is quite nice and takes about an hour. Japan 2008/2009: Muroran
Towadako: There is also a nice hike wich goes along the river (i forgot the name). This one should still be doable Japan 2008/2009: Towada ko (Towada See)

I added some links though you probably cant read german, you can at least watch the pictures of the hikes. I havent traveled anything south of Tokyo yet, so thats all i have for now. Im sure there are lost of nice tracks, but i just wrote about the ones i did.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
d34thp0odle (Offline)
=o long time not here

Send a message via ICQ to d34thp0odle Send a message via AIM to d34thp0odle Send a message via MSN to d34thp0odle Send a message via Skype™ to d34thp0odle
11-24-2008, 04:40 PM

=P austria ....

The Gods made Heavy Metal, and they saw it was good.

>>> W:O:A 2009 - 20th Anniversary "Louder than Hell"<<<
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-24-2008, 06:02 PM

Speaking of Austria, I'd recommend the Japan Alps!

Since you're in Tokyo, take a train to Matsumoto (see the castle there, if you haven't been to a castle yet. It's a nice one), then take a bus to Kamikochi, in the Japan Alps, hike there all day, and take a bus to Takayama at the end of the day (or spend a few days in Kamikochi if you like). Next day, hike around Takayama and the Hida Folk Village, which is a historic Japanese town. From there, you could keep going to Kanazawa and see the park there, which is beautiful.

It's a very nice trip, I did it myself, in reverse since I was starting in Kansai.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-29-2008, 01:42 AM

If you get to Kanagawa (or Tokyo), take the JR Tokaido line to Yugawara station. Yugawara is a hot springs area close to Hakone. You can take a city bus into the foothills of the mountains, and follow the signs to Hakone (I believe there is a sign saying in English: "Shortcut to Hakone").

The road is scenic, with a river to one side. There are numerous hot springs along the way. Be careful on the road though, it is a popular place for motorcyclists and mountain bikers, and they sometimes move pretty quickly.

Hakone itself is crisscrossed with hiking and cycling trails, and there are numerous campgrounds throughout. On clear days you can see wonderful views of mount Fuji.