JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
conniechiwa (Offline)
New to JF

Kyushu in Winter - 11-28-2008, 03:53 AM

Hello, just wanted to start this out by saying thanks to all who responded to my last thread regarding travel. I wound up checking out Hokkaido for a couple of days. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't so cooperative and a lot of the places I wanted to see (national parks, etc) had just closed down for the season. Made it up to Hakodate, however, and did see Onuma-koen which was okay (probably much prettier in the summer). On the other hand, I did see the Japanese Alps on the way back and they are gorgeous!!! Thank you very much to all who recommended passing through there.

I have one more week left on my rail pass and I would like to go to Kyushu. However, for the amount of time i have left, I'm worried most of the time would be spent sitting on the train for hours on end. Should I just visit the northern section of Kyushu, such as Beppu and Mt. Aso? I would like to head further down south but I'm wondering if it's really worth it this time of year. I'm sure the beaches are beautiful and very nice in the summer, but being winter, would it really be worth it to go? Is it warm and sunny, can you swim in the water? I'm guessing that's probably only in Okinawa this time of year? I was thinking the national park near Kagoshima might be really neat to see, but again, want to avoid spending long hours on the train if there really isn't much to see or do down that way. As I said in my last thread, I'm very much into nature and hiking, would love to see volcanoes and natural scenery as opposed to shrines or historical stuff. So what's worth it in Kyushu this time of year? Thank you so much for any and all help or advice; it is very much appreciated!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kitsuneko (Offline)
Analog Dinosaur

I don't know about Beppu... - 11-28-2008, 04:20 AM

Beppu was pretty sulfurous; I went this past spring on a Kyushu tour (Fukuoka-Hakata, Nagasaki, Saga, Kumamoto, Mt. Aso, etc.) and Beppu was the least favorite part of that tour for me. It does have a lot of hot springs, tho. It depends what you want out of the trip.

In all honesty, I don't know how the weather would be in Kyushu this time of year, but I'm sure there are weather sites you can check before you go. Try Yahoo if you can:

Japan - Asia Weather Forecast on Yahoo! Weather

Good luck!

"And I ain't in it for the power,
And I ain't in it for my health
I ain't in it for the glory of anything at all
And I sure ain't in it for the wealth
But I'm in it till it's over and I just can't stop
If you wanna get it done,
You gotta do it yourself..."

Meat Loaf, Everything Louder Than Everything Else
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-28-2008, 07:26 AM

I visited Kyushu in winter (spent Christmas in Fukuoka, had real Hakata ramen from a street stand for Christmas dinner!) When I was there, the weather was generally great. Cool but not freezing cold. Some rain here and there, but not much.

If at all possible, I really suggest trying to make it to Nagasaki. It was easily one of the most interesting cities I visited in all of Japan, with numerous historical sites all over the city. Fukuoka is ok (gotta at least have the ramen there!), and there are some historical places outside Fukuoka. I passed through Beppu with hardly a pause, since I was heading to Matsuyama next and the famous 2000 year old Dogo Onsen there, and figured it would eclipse anything Beppu had to offer.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kitsuneko (Offline)
Analog Dinosaur

Nagasaki - 11-28-2008, 09:40 PM

When we went, I wish we had more time in Nagasaki, there was so much to see! I went to my first kissaten there, and but I will never forget, I saw my first sakura there. Our guide kept telling us mid-March was too early, but there they were! A whole sidewalk full of trees right across the street from the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum, all in full bloom.

Some photos from my trip (but not all, I'm still trying to sort through about 700 of my own and about the same from my dad and Gramma). We went to so many places, like the Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine, where they got pics but I didn't. One of the days I'll get their pics up and more of my own! Some of the Nagasaki pics are here, mostly Oura Catholic Church and some from Gloverhill.

Kokoro OnLine - Kyushu 2008!

"And I ain't in it for the power,
And I ain't in it for my health
I ain't in it for the glory of anything at all
And I sure ain't in it for the wealth
But I'm in it till it's over and I just can't stop
If you wanna get it done,
You gotta do it yourself..."

Meat Loaf, Everything Louder Than Everything Else
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-29-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsuneko View Post
When we went, I wish we had more time in Nagasaki, there was so much to see! I went to my first kissaten there, and but I will never forget, I saw my first sakura there. Our guide kept telling us mid-March was too early, but there they were! A whole sidewalk full of trees right across the street from the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum, all in full bloom.

Some photos from my trip (but not all, I'm still trying to sort through about 700 of my own and about the same from my dad and Gramma). We went to so many places, like the Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine, where they got pics but I didn't. One of the days I'll get their pics up and more of my own! Some of the Nagasaki pics are here, mostly Oura Catholic Church and some from Gloverhill.

Kokoro OnLine - Kyushu 2008!
Nice pictures! I went to several of the same places you did: Dejima, Glover Garden, Peace Park, the floats, and other places too. I spent 2 1/2 days there, and saw most of what I wanted to see, but there is a ton to do there, more than many other cities IMO.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan