JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Its Taboo (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/21409-its-taboo.html)

Rogozhin 12-11-2008 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsuneko (Post 642636)
Otearai is another common term for 'toilet'.

Also, I was told that in Tokyo there may not be toilet paper available in the public restrooms, and taking along a packet of tissues (or collecting the freebie tissue packets offered as advertising by some businesses) would probably be a good idea. I hope this is no longer true, but, best to be prepared...

This is a very old site (1997), but an eye opener! I hope the bad ones have been cleaned up by now...ugh.

tokyo toilet map

I`m yet to come across a toilet that doesn`t have any toilet paper but there are a few restrooms that don`t have soap.

Kitsuneko 12-11-2008 09:52 PM

Oi, Rogozhin...

What is that sculpture in your sig made out of? I can't make it out...

And, I am glad to hear about the toilet paper. I might be visiting Tokyo within the next few years and that's a relief...

:D

kennooo 12-12-2008 01:46 AM

Taboos

Before I came to Japan I read many books on Japanese etiquette and social taboos. I guess the main one that stood out in my mind was “don’t touch your noise” the book said picking your noise or even touching it in public was a big no no. Well it took me about 2 days of being here to figure out no one told Japanese people to follow this rule.

There is a more complete list of Japanese taboos and taboo myths at

Japanese Taboos, Truth or Fiction

Magen 12-12-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennooo (Post 643432)
I guess the main one that stood out in my mind was “don’t touch your noise” the book said picking your noise or even touching it in public was a big no no. Well it took me about 2 days of being here to figure out no one told Japanese people to follow this rule.

I remember being paranoid about this before I left for Japan (I had a cold)
But I saw a lot of Japanese blowing their nose in public, so eventually I didn't sweat it.

TalnSG 12-12-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennooo (Post 643432)
Before I came to Japan I read many books on Japanese etiquette and social taboos. I guess the main one that stood out in my mind was “don’t touch your nose” the book said picking your nose or even touching it in public was a big no no. Well it took me about 2 days of being here to figure out no one told Japanese people to follow this rule.

Actually, that is not considered very polite here either, though I see it more and more often lately. I have allergies that make mine itch severly, and I was frequently chastised for rubbing it by my elders. To this day, I am uncomfortable giving in to that urge in public.

SHAD0W 12-12-2008 06:39 PM

England doesn't have any taboos.. no wonder its such a sh*thole..

Ok ofcourse we do.. but if you did something wrong, no-one would say anything.. I once saw a gang of kids stood outside the entrance to a supermarket and one of them was spraypainting "Dani B woz eya 2007" in black paint across the floor in the doorway (bare in mind he was doing this in broad daylight when the shop was open and there were customers going in and out of the store) and no-one said anything. At all. Just ignored him and went on their way..

Makes me sick..

Rogozhin 12-13-2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsuneko (Post 643213)
Oi, Rogozhin...

What is that sculpture in your sig made out of? I can't make it out...

And, I am glad to hear about the toilet paper. I might be visiting Tokyo within the next few years and that's a relief...

:D

The sculpture in my sig was made out of.....peaches! (it was made to promote some skin care product)

Kitsuneko 12-14-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogozhin (Post 644110)
The sculpture in my sig was made out of.....peaches! (it was made to promote some skin care product)

Whoa!!! That is unreal!!! :eek:

emiluvsjmusic 12-14-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogozhin (Post 644110)

Wow! Thats why it says momochan... lol
So is it a sculpture of your girlfriend or is that a joke?

Rogozhin 12-16-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic (Post 644803)
So is it a sculpture of your girlfriend or is that a joke?

It`s too good to be true :(