JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
vavania (Offline)
New to JF

Tsukiji Market: Tuna Auctions Off Limit - 12-12-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
From December 15, 2008 to January 17, 2009, the busiest time of the year at Tsukiji Fish Market, tourists will not be allowed to watch the morning tuna auctions to ensure a smooth and accident free course of business.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Tsukiji Fish Market

Is it true?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
joeyj (Offline)
JF Regular

12-12-2008, 09:11 AM

I heard it was true on another site as well
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-12-2008, 09:31 AM

Happens every year to my knowledge. There sick of people taking group photos with the fish and passing the large tuna around and all sorts. Understandable really. I wouldnt go down the market in town and start playing hackee sack keepie uppie with the sardines.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
vavania (Offline)
New to JF

12-12-2008, 09:41 AM

Well, but what does it mean in real? The market will be guarded? Is it possible to make a look without entertainment?

Last edited by vavania : 12-12-2008 at 09:50 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TheUnknown (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Well, That Would Be Reasonable After All, Alot of Sushi Bars Would Just Go And Auction Some Tuna Themselves, Mainly Due To Their Freshness And That Particular Part of Tuna That Is Limited And Rare (Forgot The Name, But If You Are Familiar With Sushi, That Would Be The Highest Quality Tuna) And Also Cheaper, They Can Use Every Part of The Tuna.
And Also Because They Also Allow Serious Oversea's Buyers (Mainly Those They Own Restaurant Chains, I Think) Cause I Remember Recently, The Owner of a Major HK Sushi Chain Went to One of These Auction and Brought Himself The Tuna King. Saw It On TV That's Why, And It Is Very Well Organised and Orchestrated.

人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青。-- None since the advent of time have escaped death, may my loyalty forever illuminate the annals of history.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
TheUnknown (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-12-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavania View Post
Well, but what it is mean in real? The market will be guarded? Is it possible to make a look without entertainment?
I Dont Think You Get To Even Go In, After All, It's For Serious Buyers Only. in My opinion, I Dont Think They Would Let You In Unless You Are For Real. Most Buyers Own Sushi Chain, Either Way, They Gonna Eat It Raw, So Gotta Keep Them Fresh.

人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青。-- None since the advent of time have escaped death, may my loyalty forever illuminate the annals of history.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
discoiskinky (Offline)
JF Regular

12-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Is the fish market really that great of a destination? I am planning my next trip to Japan with some friends who have never been to Japan and this was/is near the top of their list for destinations while we are in Tokyo. I was totally suprised to hear this and even more suprised when i learned it is a common place for tourists to go. Can you even get sashimi ready to consume there?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

12-12-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoiskinky View Post
Is the fish market really that great of a destination? I am planning my next trip to Japan with some friends who have never been to Japan and this was/is near the top of their list for destinations while we are in Tokyo. I was totally suprised to hear this and even more suprised when i learned it is a common place for tourists to go. Can you even get sashimi ready to consume there?
It is great in the sense that it's by far the largest fish market in the world. You simple won't find as many kinds of fish at any other place. But it's not a market for the end-users like you and me, but for the pros. You WON'T get to eat sashimi inside the market as it's against the law. Only authorized seafood store and restaurant people are allowed to taste anything inside the market. But the good news is that there are many restaurants just outside the market where you can have excellent sushi, sashimi and other things. Many of those eateries are great because the majority of their customers are pros themselves.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-15-2008, 08:45 AM

The world's tuna fisheries are being depleted, and any time there is a television show or documentary about overfishing, they use images from inside Tsukiji showing hundreds of tuna lined up for auction.

Closing the tuna auction is probably going to be the first step to completely closing the market to tourists once they close Tsukiji and open the new market in Toyosu.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
aaronl (Offline)
New to JF

Tsukuji - 12-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Fortunately, there is still a LOT to do at Tsukiji even if you don't go to the fish auctions. Try one of the famous little tiny sushi restaurants. I went to one last October and it was AMAZING. You don't have to see the fish auctions to experience the hustle and bustle of the place... besides, who wants to get up at 5am anyway?

Japanese lessons and cultural commentary over at www.iSpeakJapanese.net. Check it out!

Free Japanese for beginners mini-course includes audio of native Japanese speakers.