JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
hennaz (Offline)
こんにちは!

Yasukuni Shrine? - 12-13-2008, 09:30 PM

Has anyone been to, or at least heard of Yasukuni Shrine?
I've heard a lot about this shrine in Tōkyō in the news. It is a very controversial shrine, because not only does it honour Japan's war dead, it also honours 30 A-class war criminals, including Hideki Tōjō!
This shrine continues to plague Japan's relations with China and with South Korea, especially when ex-prime minister Jun'ichirō Koizumi visited it in 2005 (in the same year, the Japanese government approved of a new school history textbook which apparently glossed over war time atrocities commited against Chinese and Korean civilians during WW2, that caused anti-Japanese protests across East Asia).
When I first read about the Nanjing Massacre of 1937, I was in tears. 300,000 Chinese civilians in Nanjing were murdered by the Japanese military, many others were raped. Even in Nanjing, China today, many people still recall these horrible actions. There is still quite a strong anti-Japanese feeling in China, and many Chinese and Koreans feel that the Japanese have never fully apologised for such war crimes.
Would you ever approve of me going to Yasukuni Shrine or not? (I'm planning to go to Japan next year). It may be worth going because as with most Shintō shrines in Japan, they are beautiful and have magnificant gardens and architecture (I went to Meiji Shrine in Tōkyō last year), and it might be worth seeing different points of view on history. On the other hand, if the actions the Japanese military commited against innocent Chinese and Korean citizens are unforgiveable, then I really shouldn't go to a shrine were Japan's war dead are honoured (it would be like the Germans honouring Adolf Hitler and the Nazi war dead).
What do you think?

Hennaz ヘンナズ

(#2 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2008, 09:49 PM

You should go, Hennaz. You don't have to say a prayer for ol' Tojo, but if you've got the chance to visit something historical and controversial, you shouldn't miss out. I can't wait to visit Shuri Castle and the Reichstag. Maybe you could speak with some tourists or employees and find out what they think about the site and why they're there.

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan

Last edited by Keaton421 : 12-13-2008 at 09:52 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-13-2008, 09:50 PM

If you do not believe Japan should be forgiven for the crimes their soldiers committed during WWII, then why are you going to Japan at all?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If you do not believe Japan should be forgiven for the crimes their soldiers committed during WWII, then why are you going to Japan at all?
Because the majority of Japanese that committed war crimes are dead or on their way out. If you can't be in a place where someone's committed an unforgivable crime, you'd never be able to leave your house.

EDIT: For anyone just now viewing the thread, no, this isn't going to get political, so don't start sh*t. I don't want another thread getting ruined by ignorant loudmouths.

MAXIMUM VIPER
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-13-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
Because the majority of Japanese that committed war crimes are dead or on their way out. If you can't be in a place where someone's committed an unforgivable crime, you'd never be able to leave your house.
We agree, we just have different ways of saying the same thing.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
We agree, we just have different ways of saying the same thing.
Yeah, it's just easier to say "Japan committed war crimes" than "the individual Japanese soldiers that committed war crimes during isolated occasions not necessarily supported by their government" Like, "The White House issued a statement today". One of those little synecdoches that comes off sounding wrong

MAXIMUM VIPER
(#7 (permalink))
Old
hennaz (Offline)
こんにちは!

12-13-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Sorry guys, I did not generalise by saying "What Japan did", but "What the Japanese military did". And if the shrine does honour these "Japanese devils" (a Chinese ethnic slur for Japanese people), and it's straining relations with China and Korea, then does this shrine really deserve to exist? If the Japanese government do not apologise to China or to Korea for their war time wrongdoings, then relations with these countries will get worse.
Anyway, I love Japanese people and their culture, and the Japanese people today are MUCH friendlier towards foreigners than say 70 years ago.

Hennaz ヘンナズ

(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-13-2008, 11:37 PM

Politicians are criticized for doing a lot of things normal people do every day. I wouldn't think twice about going to Yasukuni Shrine if I wanted to see it. Just as I wouldn't think twice about going to the Hiroshimi Peace Dome or some pro-Mao museum or anywhere else. If I am going to make myself a more well rounded and educated person, then going is good.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-14-2008, 01:24 AM

Yasukuni shrine is dedicated to all those who have died in wars, all over the world.

That`s it. The end. It`s not dedicated to war criminals, nor is it dedicated to those who died in WWII. At least, no more than in the way a cemetery in which war dead or criminals are buried. It`s not even dedicated solely to those in Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-14-2008, 01:31 AM

Well then, that settles it! Thanks for setting the record straight Nyororin

MAXIMUM VIPER