JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
nawz (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Where/How to go and stay - 12-14-2008, 03:23 PM

Hello everyone! Firstly, thanks in advance for helping me out!

Me and a friend or two are planning to visit Japan during June-July after we finish our exams.

Well we know we need plane tickets to get there (hehe) but that is about it. We don't really know much Japanese apart from what we hear when we are watching Anime (yes you know where I am going =]). I know that Japan is a pretty huge place and can be very busy...so organization is a must, to me anyway.

Thing is, I don't know which city/place in japan is the best for what.

The friends I am going with are all Anime/Manga fans and we would like to buy collectables and stuff. Somebody told me "Akiba" is the place to go. We'd also like to go to a place where there are good clothing stores since Japanese jeans/t-shirts are suppose to be awesome (I don't know...). Not only that we'd like a place to have fun! Maybe visit some cultural/traditional places (If we need to travel there by train etc that is fine).

I'd also like to visit Shibuya? That huge cross-road place haha.

Sorry to be a pain! But, are there any like travel agencies for people like us? Also, how much (Yen) would you recommend on taking? I'd like to buy a few gizmos, lots of collectables and clothes...

The other issue is where to stay! We don't necessarily have to be in the midst of everything, but a place where you can get to places above easily without any hassle...I guess everything we want to do is in Tokyo....

Anyway! THANK YOU!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-14-2008, 05:27 PM

1st thing to do if you are serious about going is buy at least 1 good guidebook, and start reading it. It should tell you what is there, how to get there, and include detailed maps. I like the Lonely Planet guides myself. Trust me, not only will it help you decide where you want to go and what you can do there, it'll be very valuable once you actually arrive. If you have the names of where you want to go, maps on how to get there, and a map of the area you are walking around in, it will help keep you from getting lost. I took my Lonely Planet guide with me on every long trip through Japan and used it constantly.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
nawz (Offline)
New to JF

12-14-2008, 05:56 PM

Should I get a tokyo specific one?
E.g. This one?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
12-14-2008, 06:36 PM

Don't forget a passport, with a tourist visa.

And I'd say, apart from the plane ticket, take about $700-800 and change it to yen before you head over there.

Have fun!

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-14-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawz View Post
Should I get a tokyo specific one?
E.g. This one?
I don't own that one, but it looks good from the description. Or there is the general Tokyo city guide: Tokyo (Lonely Planet City Guide): Matthew Firestone, et al: Amazon.co.uk: Books

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

12-14-2008, 07:27 PM

if you plan on travelling around japan, get a Japan Rail Pass; it's awesome, cost about £200 when i went; but you save so much more that that ^^

I'd say seeing parts of japan other that Tokyo is WELL worth it, i saw Kyoto, Osaka and then Tokyo, Osaka was good 'training' for a larger city, and was good fun too.

Good tip for Tokyo, look for hotels in the less touristy parts of Tokyo; they're cheaper, but still just a easy to get about to / from. The Tokyo subway system is awesome ^^

don't worry too much about not speaking Japanese, but do not rely on people knowing English, really not that many people will. if you try then they appreciate it ^^ I often ended up going into a shop and the people would go and find someone who could speak English for me, even if they were from a rival store; it was really sweet
Even if you don't learn much Japanese before you go, yo will learn some while there; i certainly mastered how to say thank you and excuse me / help! (I can't remember anymore, i have problems learning languages )

gods, i wrote an essay :P sorry ^^

edit: also i used this guide for greater japan; it's really good ^^

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲

Last edited by Gwen_Goth : 12-14-2008 at 07:29 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

12-14-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen_Goth View Post
don't worry too much about not speaking Japanese, but do not rely on people knowing English, really not that many people will. if you try then they appreciate it ^^ I often ended up going into a shop and the people would go and find someone who could speak English for me, even if they were from a rival store; it was really sweet
Well, as far as I know, a lot of people in Japan know English, but are just embarassed to speak it. Gwen's got the good idea, don't expect people to know it, but don't be surprised if they do.

Learn a few of the more polite things to say to waiters, clerks, and anyone else that helps you out in Japan to start, and you'll be well on your way.

-M@

Skadoosh.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
nawz (Offline)
New to JF

12-14-2008, 10:43 PM

Where abouts in tokyo should I stay? Would an Inn be better to stay in than a hotel? Some help here would be much appreciated.

I need a tourist visa? Can't you just kinda book tickets to japan and have to return within 3 months?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

12-14-2008, 10:45 PM

Not too sure on the reasons why. From what I've heard, if you're going to work/live, you get a work visa. If you're going for a bit, then a tourist visa.

Though I think that if you're only going to stay less than a month, then a passport is fine. Don't quote me on that though; do a bit of research just to be safe.

-M@

Skadoosh.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

12-14-2008, 10:50 PM

as far as i' aware it depends on where you're from; Americans have it different from the rest of the world :S

bear in mind the new legislation japan brought in last year; they will take things such as your fingerprints and personal details when you enter the country now; it's all part of their supposed 'fight against terror'

when i went across; it was only for 11 days, so we just had to fill out customs forms and stuff, but that was 3 years ago

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲