JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MegaGav (Offline)
New to JF

Talking Best Place in Tokyo to Live for 3 Months? - 12-17-2008, 07:51 PM

Hello everybody. I'm 25 and from the UK and I'm thinking about going to live in Tokyo for 3 months ish. I'm planning to rent an apartment for the time i am there, but don't know which part of Tokyo is the best for me. I'm also wondering what the cost of living is like.

I want to stay somewhere lively and central but not too expensive. I dont plan to work while im there and I'm budgeting 80,000 per month for accommodation. Any suggestions?

Last edited by MegaGav : 12-17-2008 at 08:16 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-17-2008, 09:11 PM

You will need to look into weekly mansions, but they should fit your budget.

Keep in mind that lively and central=more expensive. That's just the way it goes.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

12-18-2008, 12:51 AM

The north and east ends of Tokyo tends to be cheaper. Around Ueno or going out to Nerima.

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kebisan (Offline)
New to JF

12-18-2008, 02:21 AM

I would suggest Edogawa-ku. Maybe somewhere around Nishi-Kasai or Kasai stations. I lived in that area for a while and loved it. The rent was about 80,000 yen and access to the city was pretty good via the subway system. It will probably be hard to find an apartment if you're only going to be there for 3 months so weekly mansions are definitely the way to go.

Like MMM said, lively and central will definitely mean more expensive and to be honest it's nice to get away from it all sometimes. In my experience, even the residential areas surrounding downtown Tokyo are pretty lively and crowded. Just be sure to choose a place with good access to a big train or subway line. Not only will it be more convenient to get around, but izakaya and karaoke places are always concentrated right outside train stations so you'll always have something to do.

Go beyond simply Learning Japanese and truly Acquire it!
Research proven language acquisition tool designed specifically for Japanese.

www.JapaneseAccelerator.com
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
12-19-2008, 03:42 PM

Many Japanese recommended Kichijoji to me. Now ive lived there for nearly 2 month and it is a very nice place. There is a park close buy, you have the Station where the Chuo line stops and it has bassicly everything you would expect from a city. I live in a Guesthouse for 50000 yen a month (wich is a special offer), normaly rooms here are around 75000yen a month (including utilities).

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)