JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: What single city do you recommend for a first-time traveller?
Sapporo 3 2.54%
Tokyo 54 45.76%
Osaka 19 16.10%
Nagoya 4 3.39%
Kobe 2 1.69%
Kyoto 22 18.64%
Hiroshima 3 2.54%
Fukuoka 3 2.54%
Another city... 8 6.78%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkatsukiMemberR View Post
I suggest Edo. I hear its a nice place to visit in the spring.
Really?... Edo huh? Are you sure you don't mean Tokyo?
(#32 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

12-23-2008, 06:12 PM

Japan because you can learn new things and see the many sights that Tokyo has to offer
(#33 (permalink))
Old
ThinasLWD (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Isn't this thread only about Japanese city's T_____T ?

I'm going to Tokyo in 2010, but now that i've seen some replies, i'm really starting to doubt between Tokyo 'nd Kyoto..
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Nyanxxx (Offline)
New to JF

01-25-2009, 07:43 AM

buuuuu ~

Just go to Tokyo. It's the part of Japan that you have probably heard about, with "Harajuku girls" and what not. And Akihabara is pretty much the "otaku paradise/techy land" [lot's of computer and anime related stuff]. Shibuya is super cool for shopping [because of Shibuya 109! ...Shibuya, Harajuku, and Akiba are all parts of Tokyo]

[these are the facts you must consider]

But since Tokyo IS so large, you then would have to decide what *part* of Tokyo or relative area you would want to stay in or you'd be doing a ton of traveling.... which I don't know, I guess might be fun because it would provide you with an opportunity to experience the Japanese subway system...
Shibuya is super cool for shopping [because of Shibuya 109! ...Shibuya, Harajuku, and Akiba are all parts of Tokyo]

But if you want the traditional Japan, Kyoto would be your place since it's like where all the temples are.

I'm sure Tokyo has it's share of temples because it's soooo big, and it's share of less urban areas... but Kyoto would be the more "historic culture" and Tokyo is more "modern Japan" ...So you should probably decide which one fits what you've been looking for in a Japanese city.

Osaka might be a good combo of both Tokyo and Kyoto [not that it's as if it was intended to be a combination of the cities, but it has certain aspects that resemble both Tokyo and Kyoto] Osaka is where all the funny people are though... [majority of comedians]

The Kansai dialect is different from the taught Japanese though [based on Tokyo's dialect]...

Yeah, just go to Tokyo. [So you can understand people Communication is key]

But ultimately it's still your decision and it should be based on your preferences, right? Having other people decide for you is just screwy. You need info to make your OWN decision.

I hoped my info helped.

...Thank you for your time.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
jckyoto (Offline)
New to JF

01-25-2009, 08:23 AM

1. Kyoto it's got a mix of everything old and new, it's three times cheaper than Tokyo. and you can always go to Osaka for a day trip to see a big city.

2. Nagoya not really much touristy there, but it's a very friendly place, has beautiful tree line wide roads and great nightlife.

3. Miyazaki city, friendly, laid back, good climate, good beaches, very cheep to stay and eat out.

4. Matsumoto, awesome Castle, beautiful mountains, Onsens (hot springs), heaps of traditional things to see and buy.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyanxxx View Post
buuuuu ~

Just go to Tokyo. It's the part of Japan that you have probably heard about, with "Harajuku girls" and what not. And Akihabara is pretty much the "otaku paradise/techy land" [lot's of computer and anime related stuff]. Shibuya is super cool for shopping [because of Shibuya 109! ...Shibuya, Harajuku, and Akiba are all parts of Tokyo]
If you are going to go to Tokyo expecting to see a Gwen Stefani video, you will probably be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyanxxx View Post
[these are the facts you must consider]

But since Tokyo IS so large, you then would have to decide what *part* of Tokyo or relative area you would want to stay in or you'd be doing a ton of traveling.... which I don't know, I guess might be fun because it would provide you with an opportunity to experience the Japanese subway system...
Shibuya is super cool for shopping [because of Shibuya 109! ...Shibuya, Harajuku, and Akiba are all parts of Tokyo]
All of the main points in Tokyo are connected by the Yamanote loop line. Harajuku, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Akihabara, etc. are literally minutes away from each other on one train line.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
magicalgirlj (Offline)
moetaku

01-25-2009, 09:00 PM

Akihabara or Shinjiku in Tokyo. I plan on living in Akihabara when I move to Japan.

avatar- Kamio Misuzu from Air tv
please buy anime DVD's and manga
(#38 (permalink))
Old
jckyoto (Offline)
New to JF

01-26-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalgirlj View Post
I plan on living in Akihabara when I move to Japan.
What kind of job are you expecting to be able afford to live in such a prime location?
(#39 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
07-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalgirlj View Post
Akihabara or Shinjiku in Tokyo. I plan on living in Akihabara when I move to Japan.
if you plan on going to just tokyo you will be disappointed. it's just a busy crowded city, if you want an adventurous visit you should try the countrysides. it's more peaceful, nice scenery, and very nice people. i really love japanese countryside.

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#40 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-26-2010, 09:38 PM

I fell in love with Hiroshima.

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun