JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
spensaur (Offline)
New to JF

Japan in the next year. - 12-27-2008, 03:41 AM

Hey guys, i'm sure this has been discussed over 100 times already.. but has anyone done anything through couchsurfing.com? My friend and i are planning on traveling to Tokyo for 2 weeks or so sometime next year and we were interested in meeting locals for the 2 weeks we were there, or even just for a few days. Also, i heard it cuts the living cost by a lot, and we plan on a hotel/couchsurf. Can anyone give me some feedback on what they think of this idea.

Also about how much cash i should try to save given it's 2 weeks, is food around the same price there? Travel costs, taxi's, bullet train passes, i think they were like 400 bucks?

Places that are a must to visit, sight seeing, food we should try, great places for someone underage [we're young, 18 and 16.] Helpful tips insights and other sorts would be of much appreciation, thank you all :]

Sincerely,
Spensaur
(#2 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-27-2008, 04:08 AM

Lots of good info in this thread:

Houseteks Guide To Tokyo

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-27-2008, 05:36 AM

I can't say I'd want to hang out with two kids, much less let them sleep on my couch.

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
12-27-2008, 06:27 AM

i have been couchsurfing in Japan only once, because there are not many people registered in Japan.
You will surely find someone in Tokyo willing to let you stay, but the chance that they are foreigners is very high.
The budget people will give you here will be around 20000yen a day wich is enough to have awesome days. Id say you can do around 7000yen a day and if you really couchsurf you can have good days with 4000 a day. I found food is not so expensive here, for 1000yen youll get good lunch and if you try hard you can even live a day at 1500, i would take more and enjoy the good japanese food.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spensaur (Offline)
New to JF

12-28-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutsuYakumo View Post
Here's an idea... Call a travel agency. Douche.
I appreciate the feedback.

Yeah, i wasn't too sure about the couch surfing idea but i thought i could maybe try it. Thank you for the housetek guide and all of the other help :].