JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
peterv20 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

those tiny capsule hotels - 12-31-2008, 02:59 AM

in tokyo they have these hotels that have room for one person.you just lay in them.yet they have a t.v.music,and at 40 or 50 u.s.dollars a night,it might be fun.ever been to one?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2008, 12:03 PM

I've walked past one, but that's the closest I got. I'm 6ft tall and claustrophobic. The idea of ramming myself into a box designed for Japanese-sized people makes me queasy.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-31-2008, 12:03 PM

I've never been to Japan or anything like that, but do know of those Capsule Hotels, and I can guarantee you this. If I ever visit the country, this is one thing I'd definitely pass on. Seems that it'd bring on a case of claustrophobia or something. I personally don't like closed in spaces to that extent. I'm not really claustrophobic or anything, just being in something like that just might make me one entirely. The thought of that even freaks me out. I'm 5'10 and overweight; as the previous poster said, cramming oneself into something like that which was definitely made for Japanese sized people just doesn't sound appealing.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-02-2009, 09:45 PM

I've never had the opportunity to stay in one but they look pretty good.

I had this impression that they were like coffins but they're actually quite big. Roomy enough to sit up with lots of space to spare and roomy enough to toss around in your bed without knocking yourself out.

Mind you, I'm not very big (under 6') but I still found it much roomier than my 2 person tent.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
d34thp0odle (Offline)
=o long time not here

Send a message via ICQ to d34thp0odle Send a message via AIM to d34thp0odle Send a message via MSN to d34thp0odle Send a message via Skype™ to d34thp0odle
01-02-2009, 09:51 PM

they are 40-50 US $ a night x_X ?
scary ..

The Gods made Heavy Metal, and they saw it was good.

>>> W:O:A 2009 - 20th Anniversary "Louder than Hell"<<<
(#6 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-02-2009, 09:58 PM

The newest trend for cheap accommodations are the Internet cafes. Even the homeless seem to be attracted to those places because they cost around $20/day, have showers, relative privacy, etc.

Oh yeah, you can also browse the web too.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-02-2009, 09:58 PM

They are probably closer to 30 to 40 a night...maybe as much as 50 depending on how low the dollar swings.

You are paying for more than just a coffin to sleep in.

The attraction is they also are attached to usually a nice public bath as well as a lounge and TV room, etc.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
01-02-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
They are probably closer to 30 to 40 a night...maybe as much as 50 depending on how low the dollar swings.

You are paying for more than just a coffin to sleep in.

The attraction is they also are attached to usually a nice public bath as well as a lounge and TV room, etc.
They look pretty cozy, really.
I saw one of these hotels on TV, and it was uber-small. The holes were round, and probably a quarter of the size of the ones in that picture
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-03-2009, 09:22 AM

On western television they love to hunt down the tiniest ones, and pretend that they are ever smaller by having some 6'5" guy crawl halfway in and let his legs stick out...

In reality - the majority are quite long and spacious. And they`re certainly not the main attraction. Think of it as like a private bed in a resort hotel. The whole facility is open for use. They almost always have extensive baths, massage facilities, huge relaxation rooms with private theaters, gaming arcades, gyms, etc.
All of it is included in the price. You can also use the facilities without staying overnight for about 1000yen less.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
AngelRage01 (Offline)
New to JF

Location: In a bin in the school (It got a free paint job woooo)
01-03-2009, 10:24 AM

They look like the things off that movie the 5th Element
Like knocks him out...I wonder if they do that...