(#11 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary View Post
ok folks i just checked into my hotel here in shinjuku

i'd like to head to kabukicho for a few beers at first, then to some good nightclubs afterwards (now it's near 8pm, is this good time to head out?)

any and all tips would be greatly appreciated

if you have names of good bars, clubs, lady bars, restaurants near here in Shinjuku please speak up

thanks!!!!!!
8 is fine. just be careful after 11ish 12...
(#12 (permalink))
Old
chmura (Offline)
New to JF

01-12-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
8 is fine. just be careful after 11ish 12...
Careful of what?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
zachary (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2009, 02:21 AM

I was out, it was fun, yea careful of what??

BUT on a Monday night in Tokyo Shinjuku it was pretty much dead, I wen to Kabukicho and Roppongi

Kabukicho, I walked in circles it was so difficult to know what is what, I couldnt tell an internet cafe from a restaurant from a bar, strip club, massage place, etc etc, it was difficult, then the Nigerian guys buggin at me every 2 minutes was retarded, I finally gave in and went with 1 guy to a place that costed 3000 yen for 1 lady drink! WTF is that all about!!!!! Hung in "Hub" a lot tho it was cool but sucks being alone

Roppongi was SUPER dead, went into a couple bars with ZERO people inside, there was absolutely nowhere to go in Roppongi that was "on"

anyone know of a certain specific place to go where you can chill drink 600yen (or under) beers and chill?

My personal blog -> Zach's Asian Travel
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-13-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:

BUT on a Monday night in Tokyo Shinjuku it was pretty much dead, I wen to Kabukicho and Roppongi

Kabukicho, I walked in circles it was so difficult to know what is what, I couldnt tell an internet cafe from a restaurant from a bar, strip club, massage place, etc etc, it was difficult, then the Nigerian guys buggin at me every 2 minutes was retarded, I finally gave in and went with 1 guy to a place that costed 3000 yen for 1 lady drink! WTF is that all about!!!!! Hung in "Hub" a lot tho it was cool but sucks being alone

Roppongi was SUPER dead, went into a couple bars with ZERO people inside, there was absolutely nowhere to go in Roppongi that was "on"

anyone know of a certain specific place to go where you can chill drink 600yen (or under) beers and chill?
There are lots of shady types hanging out in Kabuki-cho. Look for places called "shot bars". They tend to be small, cheap and fun.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
zachary (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There are lots of shady types hanging out in Kabuki-cho. Look for places called "shot bars". They tend to be small, cheap and fun.
Ok I'll try Kabukicho again tonight and aim for the "shot bars" thanks MMM I'll post pics and let ya know how it goes afterwards
thanks!

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-13-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:

This is why I don't bother with night clubs in Japan. They are overpriced, overcrowded, and are more trouble than they are worth. Japan is not the place to visit if you are into nightlife; if you are into clubs, you should be travelin to Miami, LA, or Vegas.

Any place with Nigerian doormen is a place to avoid. Get too drunk and you might get back to your hotel and find your wallet has disappeared, and that your credit cards were charged for three or four thousand dollars worth of drinks over a 20 minute period. Good luck getting the charges reversed, the staff will swear you were drunk, and ordered drinks for everyone in the club.

If you just want a place to drink and relax, there are thousands of places to choose from. Most are small, located in back alleys, and are not frequented by tourists. You'll find good places in Meguro (near Shibuya), Akasaka, or even in older areas like Shinshichiro.

My Japanese friends prefer Ikebukuro, or Hachijoji, but I find those places too crowded, even if they aren't very expensive. My favorite places are the monja restaurants in Tsukishima. They are comfortable, the food is tasty, and most have a very good selection of beer, which is not overpriced. "Ataru", is probably the best. It's stylish, the food is excellent, and the prices are reasonable.

Tsukishima is an older neighborhood, but still very popular. It's located across the Sumida river from Tsukiji (which is next to Ginza). You take Harumi Dori (the main street which runs through Ginza and Tskuji), cross the large bridge. To get to Tsukishima, you turn left at the first street on the other side of the bridge (there will be a police box there). Following this street will take you through the middle of Tsukishima. Ataru is located near the far end of the street on the left. If pass under the highway, you've gone too far.

Tsukishima is not popular with tourists, hence the good food and reasonable prices. Monja is quite good. Your table will have a heated griddle on it, you cook the monja on this griddle, and eat it straight from the griddle once it is cooked. Be careful not to burn your tongue, it's quite hot. Your waiter or waitress will be happy to prepare it for you (at no extra charge) if you don't think you can make it yourself. Monja is a delicious Japanese dish which most foreigners aren't familiar with, and it goes especially well with good beer. I recommend it for the experience, if nothing else.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-13-2009, 03:43 AM

good advice, Sangetsu.

I would stay away from Kabukicho. It is mostly snack bars and spendier hostess and cabaret clubs.

Pubs in Tokyo - ultimatepubguide.com
(#18 (permalink))
Old
zachary (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2009, 10:48 AM

Thanks again guys, tonight is round #2

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Shadowwolf (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2009, 11:12 AM

I would say the best nightlife is actually Shibuya. Shibuya is much better unless youre into hiphop then Roppongi is the place for you. But Shibuya has great clubs whether Trance, Goth , Pop, and some hip hop.

Good restaurants its everywhere Alot of foreigners or Americans love Cocos Ichiban Curry. But the restuarants are good everywhere theres alot to eat so its hard to recommend as such. Yaki-naku is good like watami's.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
zachary (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Thanks shadowwolf, i think maybe i'll try out Shibuya tomorrow night