JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Apriic0tBl0ss0m (Offline)
New to JF

Planning a trip... - 01-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Well...my mother and I are planning a trip to visit three cities in Japan. First we are going to Osaka, where my mother grew up at. And I don't want to bother her much because she can get mean...but I was wondering is there anything in Osaka that might be fun to do? I'm not sure myself since my mother does not talk about it much.

The second city is Kyoto...I'm excited about this one! I get to finally see real Geishas! Or should I say Geikos? :D

The second is the most cliche of them all. Tokyo. I just want to shop in Harajuku...plus my mother wants me to see the statue of Hachiko, which I really wouldn't mind if it wouldn't be so crowded... T x T Oh well...at least I get to go to Japan.

We are planning on going next year. Super duper expensive!
I was just wondering if any of you, who have gone, have any suggestions on what I could do on my visit. ^__^

~there we go; still a pretty colour, but a little more legible ^^

ロリータ・ファッション

Last edited by Gwen_Goth : 01-11-2009 at 09:05 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

01-11-2009, 09:04 PM

oh, ouch, well first off I'm going to say that I'm afraid I'm gonna have to edit your post because of the size and colour; it's practically illegible on this forum...

right, now thats done...

Osaka really isn;t that bad; its like a mini tokyo. good for shopping also and i'm pretty sure there's soe=me nice temples and so on near the outskirts... *looks it up* xD gah! of course! there's Osaka Castle; verry pretty :P also, a good underground metro there; good training for tokyo ^^

Kyoto... well certainly don't count on seeing any geisha / geiko; they are very hard to catch (unless you spend obscene amounts of money), but you will most likely see quite a few other normal japanese ladies and gents in traditional kimono...

the Fushimi Inari shrine is well worth a visit as is Nijo Castle and hte grounds.. i didnt see the golden pavilion but i'd want to see that too.. give yourself atleat 5 days in kyoto to see all of it if you really want to get it all in (a warning though; the trains on kyoto are uuber confusing... two companies competing = doom for non-japanese speaking / reading me )

Tokyo, well there is alot to do there; i'd say just have a good time; if you have extra time try to see Fuji...

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲

Last edited by Gwen_Goth : 01-11-2009 at 09:16 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Osaka is a pretty fun place. When I visited the city last November, I picked up a special tourist package at one of the non-JR train stations. They had a wicked deal consisting of a day pass which was usable on all non-JR transit systems for around 1500 yen. It also came with a book of coupons which allowed free access to most of the major attractions including Osaka castle. Check it out at the ticket counter!

Harajuku is interesting. Try to make it on a Sunday because that's when the cosplayers show up.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-13-2009, 05:28 AM

In Tokyo you can start at Harajuku station. Yes, you can see the cosplayers if you go on Sunday, but I don't like the Sunday crowds there, standing among the crowds of foreign tourists and camera wielding perverts. If you are going to Harajuku to shop, pick a weekday, it'll be much less crowded.

From Harajuku you can walk to Omotesando (where there are nicer shops), and then on to Shibuya station and Hachiko. You should have dinner at Chanko Dining, it's probably the most delicious restaurant in Shibuya (though definitely not the most expensive). It was opened by the famous sumo wrestler Wakanohana, a former Yokuzuna, their number is 03-6415-4527. The restaurant is walking distance from Shibuya station.

You should also visit Aoyama cemetery while you are in the Shibuya area, my gf says that Hachi's grave is located here.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-13-2009, 06:07 AM

Don't call Osaka "mini-Tokyo" unless you want your head bit off by Osaka natives. Osaka and Tokyo are very different cities and the general personalities of the residents are also very different.

I wouldn't worry so much about going to temples in Osaka...you will be templed out after Kyoto. There's great shopping and people watching in Shinsaibashi, Tennoji and Umeda.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-13-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Don't call Osaka "mini-Tokyo" unless you want your head bit off by Osaka natives. Osaka and Tokyo are very different cities and the general personalities of the residents are also very different.

I wouldn't worry so much about going to temples in Osaka...you will be templed out after Kyoto. There's great shopping and people watching in Shinsaibashi, Tennoji and Umeda.
Ha ha, I like how you said it. Its true, Kansai and Kanto doesn't seem to get a long

Also, spend some time around to Dotonbori.. tones of restaurant there...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Osaka is great if you like restaurants and nightclubs. Also, Osaka castle is nice and the museum of old buildings at Ryokuchi Koen is interesting. But you should see Nara, Kobe, and Himeji for other things to do and see. Have fun!

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!