JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Off to Japan Mar/Apr (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/22419-off-japan-mar-apr.html)

Polar 01-15-2009 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicytuna (Post 664307)
Polar, I take it you bought yourself a JR Rail Pass?

Tokyo would be a nice "base camp" for your travels if you ride the bullet train.

Yepper, that's the plan. Use the shinkansen to get around.

godwine 01-15-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar (Post 664343)
Yepper, that's the plan. Use the shinkansen to get around.

Yeah, you definitely need to use the shinkansen.... And will have to spend a few days in Osaka/Nara area.... Tokyo have a lot, but I find myself more willing to spend time in Kansai than the Kanto region. I usually spend nothing more than a week in Tokyo area (Including Yokohama, not including Hakone, I consider Hakone my "Vacation from the vacation", I sit in an onsen to bake out all the fatigue from the trip :))

Polar 01-15-2009 01:26 PM

Thanks for your comments/answers godwine.

Now for a VERY tricky if I wanted to buy a Japanese book in braille, doesn't matter so much the book but it has to be in braille.

Any ideas where I would such things ?

godwine 01-15-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar (Post 664399)
Thanks for your comments/answers godwine.

Now for a VERY tricky if I wanted to buy a Japanese book in braille, doesn't matter so much the book but it has to be in braille.

Any ideas where I would such things ?

Hmm.. I am no expert in that area, but I guess you can try the main bookstores like Maruzen or Kitakawa (MMM should be able to give you a more detail list of major bookstore) and ask the store clerk.

The Kanji for braille is - 点字, pronounced as denji (てんじ). You can find a table here :

点字 Dot Words: Braille to Hiragana Chart

Thats all the information I can offer on this topic. Sorry

Polar 01-15-2009 02:03 PM

More then enough thanks :)

Polar 01-15-2009 09:08 PM

HOLY CRAP $798 CDN for a 21 day JT pass :eek:

WOWZERS !

I know it's a deal as I plan on using it at least six times but still WOW just WOW !

Flight is $1350
Hotel is $2000+
JT Pass $800

and I haven't even set a foot on it yet :D

MMM 01-15-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar (Post 664525)

WOWZERS !

I know it's a deal as I plan on using it at least six times but still WOW just WOW !

Flight is $1350
Hotel is $2000+
JT Pass $800

and I haven't even set a foot on it yet :D

Round trip shinkansen reserved seat tickets Osaka to Tokyo (NOZOMI) is about 500 USD, so that's a "good deal". If it were me, I would travel without using a "home base" to go back to, as most of your vacation will be inside trains, but that is me.

spicytuna 01-15-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar (Post 664525)

It's crazy isn't it? It's still a great deal but the pathetic exchange rate doesn't help.

I bought my yen at 70yen/1$ Cdn last November. :(

chmura 01-15-2009 11:28 PM

When in March/April are you going? That is when I will be in Tokyo.

I\'m leaving march 26 and coming back april 5th. It will be my first time to Japan.

lself 01-15-2009 11:42 PM

Ha, that is when I\'m going to! I guess it\'s a popular time to go.
Polar@ You had to pay 1350 for a flight? Are you from America? Did you wait a long time to buy the ticket or something? I got mine for 900 but I\'m flying off the west coast.
Yeah, i wouldn\'t recommend just staying Tokyo cause like MMM said you\'ll be in the train all the time commuting.