LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-15-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
When in March/April are you going? That is when I will be in Tokyo.

I'm leaving march 26 and coming back april 5th. It will be my first time to Japan.
The last I went was ocotber 07, exchange rate was great, almost 100yen to 1 CDN$
(#22 (permalink))
Old
chmura (Offline)
New to JF

01-16-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lself View Post
Ha, that is when I'm going to! I guess it's a popular time to go.
Polar@ You had to pay 1350 for a flight? Are you from America? Did you wait a long time to buy the ticket or something? I got mine for 900 but I'm flying off the west coast.
Yeah, i wouldn't recommend just staying Tokyo cause like MMM said you'll be in the train all the time commuting.
Yeah I got my ticket for $850usd with singapore airlines from LA to Tokyo round trip. Leaving March 27, 2009.

I think his currency is in CAD, so he paid about $1080usd for his ticket.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-16-2009, 01:00 AM

I'm a canuck

Air Canada flies direct from Toronto to Narita, downside is on the way back you have a 7-8 hour layover in Vancouver.

Yen = 0.75 CD
(#24 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-16-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
I'm a canuck

Air Canada flies direct from Toronto to Narita, downside is on the way back you have a 7-8 hour layover in Vancouver.

Yen = 0.75 CD
Same here Polar...from Toronto as well.

I usually fly JAL... making it a stop at chicago. Service is way better and cheaper... in 2007, I paid about 1105 from here to Tokyo on JAL
(#25 (permalink))
Old
glg20 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-26-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah I got my ticket for $850usd with singapore airlines from LA to Tokyo round trip. Leaving March 27, 2009.

I think his currency is in CAD, so he paid about $1080usd for his ticket.
I'm on the exact same flight but on March 25.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
chmura (Offline)
New to JF

01-26-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glg20 View Post
I'm on the exact same flight but on March 25.
Where you staying in Japan?
(#27 (permalink))
Old
glg20 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-27-2009, 05:30 AM

Check out my thread "20 full days in Central/Western Honshu"

I\ve yet to book hotels/hostels and am still deciding where to stay. Where are you staying/thinking of staying?
(#28 (permalink))
Old
chmura (Offline)
New to JF

01-27-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glg20 View Post
Check out my thread "20 full days in Central/Western Honshu"

I\ve yet to book hotels/hostels and am still deciding where to stay. Where are you staying/thinking of staying?
I'm staying 4 nights in Shinjuku and 5 nights in Roppongi. Havent really planned what I'm going to do or see yet.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
sydneyswans (Offline)
New to JF

01-27-2009, 10:56 PM

Hi Polar
Are you interetsed in meeting up with another first timer in Japan at some point - maybe in Tokyo for a night out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
Greetings

I'm Japan bound for three weeks just need to hammer the dates down.

Basically I got laid off from work, has nothing to do with the economy it was because we were bought out. My severance package was very, very generious. There's still a lot of jobs here for what I do (IT) so I'm not worried. Figured I'd take some time off and maybe indulge and make one my dreams come true.

I've been lurking these forums for the past couple of months reading and reading. Kudos to housetek and others for things I hadn't even thought about. I've cut and pasted a bunch of posts into a sort of "bible" and it's running 22 pages.

I will be using Shinjuku as a base staying at a hotel and using the rails to make trips east of Tokyo for a day or so or maybe two depending.

This is more for piece of mind as cost at this point really isn't a issue, yeah I could do it cheaper and longer thanks to all the excellent advice here. but at this point it's just focusing on Honshu and no farther then Kobe but hitting those places to break up each week and enjoying it rather then dealing with so to speak and having fun

The one thing I am curious about ... I have red hair and freckles so I gather that's bound to attract some attention so do I expect the usual gaijin stuff or it going to be different ?
(#30 (permalink))
Old
glg20 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-28-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
I'm staying 4 nights in Shinjuku and 5 nights in Roppongi. Havent really planned what I'm going to do or see yet.
Are you staying in mid range hotels?

I'm still looking for places in Tokyo to stay in. I''m gonna spend a week+ in tokyo and the area and want to try a few levels of accommodation. Most of the time it'll be budget hotels but for the first 2 nights of arriving in Japan/Tokyo I need a comfortable mid range hotel close to the Narita express line as well as easy access to the Shinkansen to Hiroshima.