JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Planning three years in advance - where to start? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/22730-planning-three-years-advance-where-start.html)

KyotoTEA 01-26-2009 04:58 AM

Planning three years in advance - where to start?

In three years or so, I would have enough money saved up and enough time.
This would be a three week trip to Japan during the summer.
Is there anything you think I should consider, or is it too early to think about this?
Also, where in Japan would you suggest I visit?

glg20 01-26-2009 05:06 AM

3 years in advance for a 3 week trip ?! You're going to Japan, not the moon :-)
Seriously though, So much can happen in 3 years. I'd start thinking of a plan a year before and even that's a bit early. I'm boarding a flight to Japan in exactly 2 months and don't know where I'm staying yet.

MMM 01-26-2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyotoTEA (Post 669357)
In three years or so, I would have enough money saved up and enough time.
This would be a three week trip to Japan during the summer.
Is there anything you think I should consider, or is it too early to think about this?
Also, where in Japan would you suggest I visit?

Why wait three years?

godwine 01-26-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glg20 (Post 669359)
3 years in advance for a 3 week trip ?! You're going to Japan, not the moon :-)
Seriously though, So much can happen in 3 years. I'd start thinking of a plan a year before and even that's a bit early. I'm boarding a flight to Japan in exactly 2 months and don't know where I'm staying yet.

Well, he/she may be a student, and its not easy for a student to come up with the kind of money needed for a decent trip to Japan for 3 weeks

But at the same time I also agree, its kinda hard to plan base on all sorts of unforeseen circumstances

I only just started planning for my honemoon which is suppose to be in October, I mean, we have been talking about it, but i never sat down to really plan anything out

chmura 01-26-2009 08:03 PM

Planning 3 years in advance is pretty excessive.

I planned 3 months in advance. Bought my plane ticket 2 weeks ago and I'm leaving to Tokyo March 27. First time to Japan and dont speak Japanese.

godwine 01-27-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chmura (Post 669504)
Planning 3 years in advance is pretty excessive.

I planned 3 months in advance. Bought my plane ticket 2 weeks ago and I'm leaving to Tokyo March 27. First time to Japan and dont speak Japanese.

No doubt, anything can be done, I mean, if I wish, I can fly tomorrow. 3 years is a bit much, but it may take this person just as long to save up for it....

KyotoTEA, what kind of places do you want to visit? Maybe if you give us some information, we can help you to plan your budget a little, hence shortening the wait?

KyotoTEA 01-27-2009 01:38 AM

Yeah, I guess it's a bit early to be doing any serious planning.
As godwine said, yes I am a student. I'm signing for a full-ride scholarship so I have my hands tied for a while. The terms are pretty much "Don't die, don't change, don't get injured, don't screw around." Right now the plan is development and maintenance (it's a sports scholarship) so my parents suggested I put the trip on hold.

I guess the reason I'm thinking about it so early is because I'm saving up already. I want to make sure I'm not short on cash by the time I want to go.

On that note, does anybody know what sort of costs I'm looking at for hotels in Japan? I guess it could depend where you are, but I've heard it's somewhere around 3,500 - 7,000 Yen per night. Does that sound accurate?

ThirdSight 01-27-2009 03:25 AM

If you're saving money for 3 years, you'll have enough to stay there for at least 2.

Seriously, Kerouac it and go at the end of the week if you've planned it out so far in advance. 3 years is way too much time to plan for a 3 week trip, so relax, save a bit of money, wait for the economy to change and shift before looking too intensley at prices, and then just go.

MMM 01-27-2009 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyotoTEA (Post 669623)

On that note, does anybody know what sort of costs I'm looking at for hotels in Japan? I guess it could depend where you are, but I've heard it's somewhere around 3,500 - 7,000 Yen per night. Does that sound accurate?

I would say hotel costs would be about double that range.

samurai007 01-27-2009 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 669658)
I would say hotel costs would be about double that range.

It depends... there are many business hotels outside of Tokyo in that price range, I stayed in them. And hostels are even cheaper.