JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-04-2009, 02:12 AM

But you are going to fly halfway across the world to stay in a s***hole when you are 30 minutes (and a direct train line) away from Tokyo and all it has to offer (including less expensive hotels). The train system is very easy to navigate and everything is written in English. Does a real Ninja Warrior do things because they are "easier"?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
TheAmazingOti (Offline)
New to JF

02-05-2009, 03:21 AM

Dude, don't say that. Now you're making me want to go to Tokyo and explore. :P

But if we are to go around Tokyo and see things and buy souveneirs, won't that jack up our total spending? We're having a hard enough time just gathering the 7-8,000 dollars (USD) to go for a week. Which brings up another question...

The total flight and hotel (at the Hilton, at least) will total about 5,500 dollars (from what we can find. If anyone has any recommendations on getting a cheap flight/hotel, please speak up). That will leave us with about 1,500 dollars to survive on. This includes eating, transportation and any spending we may do. Do you think this is enough for a week long trip?

If we had 10+ grand, we'd definitely hit a ton of places in Tokyo. We just don't have the money, though. That's why we're only staying for a week. A few days to get over jet lag and practice at Muscle Park, then the competition, then we leave.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
TheAmazingOti (Offline)
New to JF

02-07-2009, 12:20 AM

Oh, and another thing. We'll only be there 6-7 days. Should we buy a JR pass?
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-07-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingOti View Post
Dude, don't say that. Now you're making me want to go to Tokyo and explore. :P

But if we are to go around Tokyo and see things and buy souveneirs, won't that jack up our total spending? We're having a hard enough time just gathering the 7-8,000 dollars (USD) to go for a week. Which brings up another question...

The total flight and hotel (at the Hilton, at least) will total about 5,500 dollars (from what we can find. If anyone has any recommendations on getting a cheap flight/hotel, please speak up). That will leave us with about 1,500 dollars to survive on. This includes eating, transportation and any spending we may do. Do you think this is enough for a week long trip?

If we had 10+ grand, we'd definitely hit a ton of places in Tokyo. We just don't have the money, though. That's why we're only staying for a week. A few days to get over jet lag and practice at Muscle Park, then the competition, then we leave.
That is an OUTRAGEOUS cost. How much are you paying for the hotel?

1,500 should be more than enough for a week, assuming you don't travel much beyond the Mt Midoriyama. You can get a weekly rail pass...I am not sure how much they are. You can DEFINITELY find cheaper hotels in Tokyo. Even if you are paying 2000 for a plane ticket (and I hope you are not) 3,500 for a week at a hotel? Maybe for the presidential suite.

You can find fine hotels in Tokyo or Yokohama for under 100 a night, no problem.

EDIT:
JAPAN RAIL PASS types and prises

The rail pass is about 400 dollars...and in a week it is really hard to spend that much in actual train fare, so it is really up to you (I am not sure how much it costs to get to Midoriyama and Muscle Park) but rest-assured, you aren't going to be spending more than 400 bucks on train travel.

Last edited by MMM : 02-07-2009 at 02:26 AM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
TheAmazingOti (Offline)
New to JF

02-07-2009, 03:06 AM

Keep in mind I'm bringing my girlfriend and best friend. We are ordering two rooms. So, three plane tickets and two rooms.

But yeah, that much for just me? I don't think so. :P

So you recommend just buying train tickets every time I need them instead of going for a pass card thing? I kinda figured that anyway since we'll only be there for one week.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

02-07-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

The rail pass is about 400 dollars...and in a week it is really hard to spend that much in actual train fare, so it is really up to you (I am not sure how much it costs to get to Midoriyama and Muscle Park) but rest-assured, you aren't going to be spending more than 400 bucks on train travel.
The OP will be wasting over two-thirds of those 400 bucks if he follows through his current plans. I wouldn't buy the pass unless I wanted to hop over to Kyoto or someplace for a day or two. It only costs several hundred yen to go from major spots in Tokyo to Midoriyama. Same thing with Muscle Park.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
TheAmazingOti (Offline)
New to JF

02-07-2009, 03:46 AM

That works for me. Strike the pass. Thank you.

Per person for flight and 5 days, 6 nights in the hotel, it's $1,355 a person. Now, I like how nice and simple it is to get to the hotel from the airport and I like knowing there will be English-speaking workers. I also like the high-speed internet, even if there is a surcharge for it.

Is there a better hotel I could stay in? Cheaper? Free internet? English speaking?
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-07-2009, 03:58 AM

All major hotels will have English speakers and most minor hotels. If you were going to be there for one night, I would say your plan is reasonable, but you are literally choosing to sleep in a garbage can when there are nice warm beds 30 minutes and 4 dollars away, without even changing trains.

Per person for flight and 5 days, 6 nights in the hotel, it's $1,355 a person.

Does this include

1,355 x 3 is 4,065, not 5,500, so I am a little confused at what you are paying for.

If it is 1,355 for 5 nights per person in a hotel, that is robbery.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
TheAmazingOti (Offline)
New to JF

02-07-2009, 04:29 AM

The $1,355 is for one person's plane ticket plus their 5 day/6 night stay in the hotel.

The total is $4,065 for all three of our plane tickets and 5 day/6 night stays in the hotel.

I haven't tried booking the flights and hotel seperately, so I couldn't tell you how much is which.

If the Hilton is so bad, what would you recommend?
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-07-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingOti View Post
The $1,355 is for one person's plane ticket plus their 5 day/6 night stay in the hotel.

The total is $4,065 for all three of our plane tickets and 5 day/6 night stays in the hotel.

I haven't tried booking the flights and hotel seperately, so I couldn't tell you how much is which.

If the Hilton is so bad, what would you recommend?
I guess I am confused by the math, because it isn't clear to me how much you are paying for what. There is nothing wrong with the Hilton at all. I am saying the area you are staying in is crap, and there are great places you can stay (again) only a little further down the train line. If you are booking together, couldn't you book a hotel in Tokyo or Yokohama? I would just hate to see you waste a whole week simply for the convenience of the location of the hotel compared to the airport, when I know after 24 hours you will have the train system down, and are going to want to move to a better area. If you just want to hang out in the hotel, then that's fine, but it seems like if you are going to go all that way...

Hilton Tokyo hotel - Local Guide

Last edited by MMM : 02-07-2009 at 04:41 AM.