JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Niknaizorai (Offline)
JF Regular

This is a quote - 02-05-2009, 01:36 PM

"The police do pay some special attention to foreigners, however; because of Japanese stereotypes that foreigners are more likely to be criminals, foreign residents get stopped on the streets a lot more--especially if you are a foreigner who rides a bicycle, and thus look like you stole it. When the police stop you, on foot or on bike, they will ask to see your Alien Registration Card ("Gaikokujin Toroku-sho"), popularly called a "gaijin card" by those required to carry it. This used to be a small booklet with a dozen or more pages, but has been cut down to the size of a driver's license. If the police stop you and you cannot produce your card, they will probably take you to the police station where you must fill out explanation and apology forms. Someone must then bring the card to the station before they will release you. "
(#12 (permalink))
Old
tokyo88 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to tokyo88 Send a message via Yahoo to tokyo88 Send a message via Skype™ to tokyo88
Firas - 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM

hi im sure of this information
i met many Japanese friends
they love Foreigners so much specially girls and if you can speak theyr language they will love you more than a Japanese person

and they like Kawaii people!!!!!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknaizorai View Post
(long quote about police)
I have yet to have any run-ins with police. They`ve never looked twice in my direction. In fact, the only time I`ve ever even talked with an officer was when I witnessed a car accident and was making a statement.

It is required by law that you carry your registration card or passport at all times. Detaining you for that is entirely reasonable, as there is really no reason you shouldn`t be carrying it.

With bicycles, they check the registration (all are registered when they`re purchased) to see if it`s been reported stolen. Unfortunately, there ARE a lot of stolen bicycles making the rounds in the foreign community simply because people don`t realize that they keep records of them so never worry about it when they receive one from a friend... who received it from a friend of a friend... who somewhere along the line stole it. Just like you wouldn`t just accept a car without checking the registration - a bike is the same.

As for foreign crime - I`ll say this. The percentage of crime (minus visa violations) committed by foreigners far exceeds the percentage of foreigners who make up the population. Is it the majority of crime? Certainly not. But it still is not a good thing and should not be ignored. If 5% of the population is committing 20% of the crime....

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
mrnicekid (Offline)
JF Regular

02-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
With bicycles, they check the registration (all are registered when they`re purchased) to see if it`s been reported stolen. Unfortunately, there ARE a lot of stolen bicycles making the rounds in the foreign community simply because people don`t realize that they keep records of them so never worry about it when they receive one from a friend... who received it from a friend of a friend... who somewhere along the line stole it. Just like you wouldn`t just accept a car without checking the registration - a bike is the same.
wow the episode about receiving stolen bikes from a friend actually happened to me, and i was arrested for it after using the bike for a couple of weeks. i was 17/18 years old at that time, so they brought me to the juvenile department of the nerima-ku central police station to be questioned by 6 police officers (暇人).

they do let me go with a warning, but they don't forget to take my photos, fingerprints and all. but the thing is, even the police is very polite!

i can't really complain much though because i'm the one who lack the knowledge about bike licenses.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Niknaizorai (Offline)
JF Regular

Just continuing - 02-05-2009, 02:48 PM

"Japan is renowned for being a virtually crime-free country, and usually Japanese police get the credit. This does not exactly reflect reality. It is true Japan is very safe, and you can walk the streets at night feeling pretty secure, but there is more crime in Japan than the statistics tell, and the police are not always very effective in pursuing it. Japan's incredibly high arrest and conviction rates do not just reflect efficient criminal justice, but also effective interrogation techniques, a high number of confessions, some forced, and a judicial system (no juries) which tends to consider a suspect guilty on little more than the recommendation of the prosecutor.

This is not to say that Japan's judicial system has run amok, crime is everywhere and innocents are always sent to jail, far from it. However, many crimes go unreported, especially sexual crimes, or crimes where there is little chance of catching the perpetrator. The Yakuza tend to go relatively unhindered by Japanese police, especially where "victimless" crimes are concerned. Gambling and prostitution, although illegal, are practiced very visibly; police will sometimes make token raids, usually with a politician somewhere nearby mugging for the media, which is always alerted for these events.

Also, police have much more freedom than their western counterparts in making arrests and interrogations. For example, the police may hold someone on suspicion, without filing an actual charge, and keep that person incommunicado for more than three weeks while they are questioned. I have never met anyone who this was done to, however; you don't really have to worry too much about it happening to you.

The police do pay some special attention to foreigners, however; because of Japanese stereotypes that foreigners are more likely to be criminals, foreign residents get stopped on the streets a lot more--especially if you are a foreigner who rides a bicycle, and thus look like you stole it. When the police stop you, on foot or on bike, they will ask to see your Alien Registration Card ("Gaikokujin Toroku-sho"), popularly called a "gaijin card" by those required to carry it. This used to be a small booklet with a dozen or more pages, but has been cut down to the size of a driver's license. If the police stop you and you cannot produce your card, they will probably take you to the police station where you must fill out explanation and apology forms. Someone must then bring the card to the station before they will release you. "
(#16 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknaizorai View Post
Also, police have much more freedom than their western counterparts in making arrests and interrogations. For example, the police may hold someone on suspicion, without filing an actual charge, and keep that person incommunicado for more than three weeks while they are questioned. I have never met anyone who this was done to, however; you don't really have to worry too much about it happening to you.

The police do pay some special attention to foreigners, however; because of Japanese stereotypes that foreigners are more likely to be criminals, foreign residents get stopped on the streets a lot more--especially if you are a foreigner who rides a bicycle, and thus look like you stole it. When the police stop you, on foot or on bike, they will ask to see your Alien Registration Card ("Gaikokujin Toroku-sho"), popularly called a "gaijin card" by those required to carry it. This used to be a small booklet with a dozen or more pages, but has been cut down to the size of a driver's license. If the police stop you and you cannot produce your card, they will probably take you to the police station where you must fill out explanation and apology forms. Someone must then bring the card to the station before they will release you. "
This is true. I was the only Gaijin living in my neighborhood and was stopped all the time and asked for my Gaijin card. Also, my apartment was searched a couple of times while I was at work. I still don't know what for. When I complained, my employer told me I had no right to complain since they paid the rent. I also had police officers stationed outside my apartment for several months (I didn't mind the cute and friendly policewoman though ). The only thing I could figure is that some crime was happening and being the only foreigner in the area they were looking at me. Of course I didn't do anything. They were always polite and American police usually aren't so nice, so I really don't hold a grudge against them.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Niknaizorai (Offline)
JF Regular

Hito-no-kokoro-no-ura-o-yome - 02-05-2009, 04:47 PM

"Internationalization of Japanese corporations often means building more plants overseas or training employees in foreign languages and sending them overseas, contributing to the companies increased profit and prestige overseas; rarely does it mean hiring more non-Japanese employees ("blue eyed" outside directors) or foreign lawyers. The more they talk about "internationalization" (kokusaika) in tatemae, the harder they will have to try to keep under their hat their honne (nationalization).
Frustratingly, the national slogan of "Lets internationalize ourselves" can be situational because there has been no clash of arguments in Japan over either national or international principles. One tends to suspect that internationalization (tatemae) is another name for nationalism (honne) in view of the fact that "internationalization" has mostly been discussed in the context of the methods of the advancement of the international status or influence of Japan and the promotion of its national interest"
"The maintenance of the Japanese "wa" (intragroup harmony or interpersonal harmony) calls for hara, because the WA exists not only among those who admire one another but among those who hate one another too. To play the every-one-must-be-happy game, every player must abide by the rules of the game of the ceremony. The unwritten rules of the ceremony game include:
- Respect authority and tradition
- Be quiet
- Have Hara.
To synthesize the conflicts of interests or of personality, the ceremony must not be efficient but effective. The cozier the place is, the more the chances are for the performers to confirm each others Honne.

"However, what is stipulated in the law is not necessarily what is actually practiced. In Japan, we often hear people say "Yes, thats what the law says in tatemae. But thats not the way it is (Genjitsu wa chigau) in sharp contrast to the statement Americans make "I am sorry but thats the law."

An often used remark, "Hito-no-kokoro-no-ura-o-yome" (read the rear of anothers mind) doesnt necessarily mean that one should be suspicious of the motives or integrity of others; it often means that one should be sensitive and caring enough to read into their unspoken desires or willingness to help.

The immediate reaction on the part of the Americans might be, "uh huh, we have public self and private self." These are two sides of a coin, rarely reversing themselves, whereas Honne and Tatemae, being part of the periphery of a coin, can readily overlap and reverse themselves.

The Japanese mind, like traditional Japanese houses that have an "engawa" (verandah) serving as "ma" between the living rooms and the garden, has no clear demarcation line between "inside" Honne and "outside" Tatemae. A situational use of Honne for insiders (uchiwa) and tatemae for outsiders (sotomono), although it may occasionally appear outrageous to Westerners, is a commonly accepted practice in Japan.

Foreigners are treated politely with only Tatemae (outer truth) as "gaijin" (outsiders), and are rarely told the honne (inner truth), to their frustration."

"The Unspoken Way "Michihiro Matsumoto
(#18 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
これでも女なのだが?
ahhhhh!!!! すみません

猿も木から落ちる
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-05-2009, 11:46 PM

You can stop quoting from that book - things have changed quite a lot since the early 80s when it was written.

I`m tempted to delete the quotes, as there is really no point to them - not to mention I imagine they`re copyrighted.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Niknaizorai (Offline)
JF Regular

Nyororin - 02-06-2009, 12:29 AM

As long as it is quoted with the source, it is not a problem.

I think the purpose of this Japanese forum is the understanding of Japanese culture. Everything is an open contribution to understanding the culture.

These are Japanese culture classics that you would have to study in any Asian Studies programme in the world. These are perennial (timeless)concepts.

Tatemae / Honne concept is very essential to understand Japanese culture as any expert in the subject will confirm.

I am in graduate school and I am studying a Master in Asian studies plus my two years girlfriend is from Japan.

I am sorry challenging your status quo but I was trying to contribute constructively to this subject.