JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tenniskettle (Offline)
New to JF

off to japan alone for a bit in july-any advice - 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM

well im finally getting to do what ive always wanted to do, go on a solo trip to japan.

im going to tokyo on 1st july and will be staying for 12 days [wish i could stay longer but would need more money]

i plan on staying in a youth hostel in tokyo, explore tokyo for a bit, the culture, the nightlife etc. and plan on venturing out for a few days, climb mount fuji and visit okinawa.

anyone got advice for a first time solo traveller?

and another question, im 18 [legal drinking age here in ireland] and i know its 20 in japan, how are the japanese on underage drinking? dont misunderstand me im not going to get drunk everynight and pass out on the streets, i mean i would like to relax one night in a bar just having a couple of beers- is this doable for an underage traveller, or would the japanese be strict at letting me into a bar.

i plan to take some japanese lessons, but how easy or hard would it be for me to get to tokyo from narita airport and find my way to the hostel?

thanks in advance
mark
(#2 (permalink))
Old
PokemonTrainer (Offline)
JF Regular

02-12-2009, 07:12 PM

I hear most the signs around there have english, so you'll be fine with that. I take it your a begginer as far as japanese goes then? Study hard. good luck.

Just call me PokéFan!
My Platinum Team:
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2009, 07:26 PM

As far as drinking goes, you probably won't have a problem unless you go to a spendy nightclub, where they tend to be more strict. Most young Japanese have no ID, so it is hard to check.

The most expensive part of your trip will be the plane ride from Tokyo to Okinawa. Eliminate that and you will probably be able to stay at least another week.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tenniskettle (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2009, 08:01 PM

cheers for the replies, and MMM now that you say i could stay another week if i eliminate goin to okinawa, that seems like a good idea.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2009, 08:04 PM

I hear it is beautiful, but it's a bit like going to Los Angeles, and then dropping by Hawaii. Your plane ticket from Tokyo to Okinawa will probably be as much as your ticket to Tokyo.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-12-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenniskettle View Post
i plan to take some japanese lessons, but how easy or hard would it be for me to get to tokyo from narita airport and find my way to the hostel?
Where exactly is your hostel? Which station?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tenniskettle (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Where exactly is your hostel? Which station?
actually looking up more info on 'tokyo hostel' - the website gives me a good idea of how to get there

'How to get to the Tokyo Hostel
I: FROM NARITA AIRPORT

The easiest and cheapest possible means of traveling is by the KESEI LINE to UENO STATION [H 17] and transfer to the HIBYA (SUBWAY) LINE to MINOWA STATION [H 19]'

im learning some japanese, but do you know if it would still be hard for me to travel this way? but i am learning some japanese so hopefully i should be ok, finding my way to these stations.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2009, 09:55 PM

Especially in train stations, signs and maps are in English. If you know the name of the station you are trying to get to, people are generally pretty helpful.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-12-2009, 09:59 PM

Bring forks.

and spoons....

猿も木から落ちる
(#10 (permalink))
Old
discoiskinky (Offline)
JF Regular

02-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As far as drinking goes, you probably won't have a problem unless you go to a spendy nightclub, where they tend to be more strict. Most young Japanese have no ID, so it is hard to check.
An acquaintance of mine who is only a few years shy of 40 was asked for ID at womb. He was living in Japan at the time. This is a rare case but it can happen.