LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-15-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
True cosplayer? I guess you just made it up. Doesn't matter if you make the costume or not, it is still cosplay.

There's no thing such as fake cosplayer. There are only bad and good ones. Good ones obviously make their own costumes to distinguish among the others... that's what makes them unique.
I don't mean "true" vs. "fake" but "true" as in "dedicated". We can argue about the prices of costumes, but dedicated cosplayers don't buy costumes, they make them.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-15-2009, 07:05 PM

This all comes back to the original theme of this thread:

Dedication.

Doom to the cheap foam costume!
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Ff7rockerman (Offline)
JF Regular

02-17-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
They clearly bought their costumes off of ebay or "cheesycostmes.com"
basically what im seeing is you think all american cosplayers either buy or make horrible costumes.. and those people you posted really seemed like you were judging them on there looks rather then there costume im pretty sure the point of cosplay is basically just making the costume well in my mind it is i wouldnt eve do this.. find it stupid in general but thats just me although i dont think you can honestly say that american cosplayers are bad just by a few crappy pics you find off of google

its always sunny in Philadelphia best show ever ^^

Last edited by Ff7rockerman : 02-17-2009 at 09:15 AM.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-17-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm not a fan of cosplay, but to each his own. That said, I saw quite a few foreign cosplayers at Harajuku last weekend, and they looked completely out of place. Ironically, they reminded me more of the rockabillies (Japanese imitating American culture) who were dancing over in Yoyogi park.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Naoko (Offline)
Evil Muffin 奈央子

Send a message via AIM to Naoko
02-17-2009, 12:56 PM

Some people fail at sewing. I don't think that makes them a bad cosplayer. That and yeah...some stuff has to be bought. Material, hair ornaments, jewelry...things like that.

外人警報発令中!!!! ヽ(`Д')ノ
My Japanese still sucks. Feel free to correct me! Any constructive criticism is appreciated.((どうも、ナゴナゴさん!!))
(#46 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
This all comes back to the original theme of this thread:

Dedication.

Doom to the cheap foam costume!
My uncle's family have great influence in me, as a result, I can't say I fully respect cosplayer, I do agree to a certain extent, it looks ridiculous to me. But remember.. TO ME... One's perspective against another....

Why are we judging what other people do for fun? CHEAP? How do you define "cheapness"? What is cheap?
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-17-2009, 02:28 PM

MMM,

I am talking about the amount of money spent on MATERIALS here, especially in regards to costuming. If you think good quality material is inexpensive... I am afraid it's not. Hell, even getting the right buttons for military uniforms can be as much as $5 per button, especially if you have to ship overseas. And it just goes up from there.

But I am afraid I have to disagree with your assessment. The question is dedication to what. Not every costumer is interested in winning contests or having people marvel at their skill with a thread and needle, if that's what you're implying.

You know why I toss on some duty blues or BDU greens with the fleet? Got a cigar in one hand, and a bottle of vodka in the other, and we're gonna make some frakkin noise. It's about enjoying ourselves as an identifiable group. It's about camaraderie and family. It's about time someone pulled out the damn deck of cards, because I want some poker chips, ladies. It's all about the poker chips.

Don't suggest that I'm any less dedicated to my reason for costuming than contest-driven cosplayers are to theirs. That's unfair. I AM dedicated.

Dedicated to having a lot of fun.