JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   a stupid question :x (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/23373-stupid-question-x.html)

Nemhy 02-23-2009 07:38 AM

a stupid question :x

Hello JF! I dropped out of HS last year and working on getting a GED (probably gonna take the test this summer) afterwards i'm gonna go to community college for...I don't know yet :x Prob gonna explore the computer field. (and finally take a legit japanese class)

NOW....after say a few years of Community would it be possible to study abroad in Japan? also off the top of your head give me a price range (room, board, and plane all included) or does the fact I dropped out ruin that oppertunity? :x

kirakira 02-23-2009 07:47 AM

Depends on what you want to study. If it's just studying Japanese in Japan, you could go through JASSO, they support oversea student coming to Japan to study short term Japanese courses held in Japan. You'll have to find their fees on the website (Google).

If you want to get a degree or a certification in Japan, then you need to be close to fluent Japanese or JLPT Level 1 equiv to study in Japan. An options not really recommended.

Nemhy 02-23-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirakira (Post 678088)
Depends on what you want to study. If it's just studying Japanese in Japan, you could go through JASSO, they support oversea student coming to Japan to study short term Japanese courses held in Japan. You'll have to find their fees on the website (Google).

If you want to get a degree or a certification in Japan, then you need to be close to fluent Japanese or JLPT Level 1 equiv to study in Japan. An options not really recommended.

Well I plan to take like 2-4 years of Japanese during CC. Could I take japanese AND work on a degree abroad? or would it be better to get a degree in america and just study Japanese abroad?

kirakira 02-23-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemhy (Post 678092)
Well I plan to take like 2-4 years of Japanese during CC. Could I take japanese AND work on a degree abroad? or would it be better to get a degree in america and just study Japanese abroad?

Latter would be much better as getting a degree in Japan requires you to be fluent in Japanese. Even if you study 24/7, it will be at least 2-3 years before you can even start university.

Nemhy 02-23-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirakira (Post 678093)
Latter would be much better as getting a degree in Japan requires you to be fluent in Japanese. Even if you study 24/7, it will be at least 2-3 years before you can even start university.

I see, thank you very much for the help! =)

Nyororin 02-23-2009 11:36 AM

Or, you could consider a more realistic route. Take an intensive Japanese course in Japan to manage the JLPT (A few universities will let you in with JLPT2 instead of one if you`re going to also be taking Japanese classes at the university), and then enroll in a Japanese university.
Having JLPT1 definitely puts you at an advantage, and opens up the doors to universities that do not have a strong foreign student program - but for someone who wants to study Japanese in Japan it isn`t always necessary.

Nemhy 02-23-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 678104)
Or, you could consider a more realistic route. Take an intensive Japanese course in Japan to manage the JLPT (A few universities will let you in with JLPT2 instead of one if you`re going to also be taking Japanese classes at the university), and then enroll in a Japanese university.
Having JLPT1 definitely puts you at an advantage, and opens up the doors to universities that do not have a strong foreign student program - but for someone who wants to study Japanese in Japan it isn`t always necessary.

What IS JLPT? Some kinda test?

alanX 02-23-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemhy (Post 678242)
What IS JLPT? Some kinda test?

Yes, it's the Japanese Language Proficiency Test.

It basically just says you can speak Japanese. Colleges look at it. As do some business.

ChibiSeme 02-23-2009 10:43 PM

If you get bachelors degree in Japanese, some companies will house you in Japan if you do assistant teaching for a job...but some companies are hard to get into...
They pay well and some offer apartments...like GEOS.