JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shinobioni (Offline)
New to JF

Question About re-entry - 02-26-2009, 03:42 AM

So I am currently studying in Japan on a multiple re-entry visa. I am planning on going to South Korea for vacation during Spring Break. Before I leave, do I need to let the Japanese government know that I am leaving and that I will be returning, do I need to get my passport stamped or anything? someone explain and help ME! ive got like two weeks only to do this.

Thanks
-Matt
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-26-2009, 04:01 AM

What country did you come from? America doesn't have the re-entry visa=[[[[

Yes, immigration will stamp it and when you re-enter they'll just look at it and you'll be on your way. I think I remember reading this somewhere, I didn't pay it much attention though. But there IS something you have to do with immigration though.

猿も木から落ちる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-26-2009, 04:19 AM

If you already paid for multiple re-entry, then there is nothing more you need to do.
If you just have a long term visa without re-entry, however, you will have to go to the local immigration bureau to pay them for a little stamp that says your visa will not expire when you leave the country.

By the way, coming from America you can indeed get a multiple entry visa. It`s an option on the Japanese side, and as far as I know has nothing to do with where you`re from.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sanchome (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-26-2009, 04:19 AM

Assuming you are an American or some other Western foreigner living in Japan with a re-entry permit, I think you need to fill out one of those disembarkation cards (available at the airport) before you go through immigration on the way out - then they will take half of the form from you on your way out and staple the other half to your passport. On the way back in to Japan (after your trip), you fill in your flight info on the half they stapled to your passport and sign it saying you aren't bringing illegal things into Japan and they take that from you.

Also, on the way back in at Narita (if you are going through Narita) you can go to the special line for people with re-entry permits - it saves a lot of time over waiting in line with the rest of the foreigners.

Don't take this advice as 100% accurate, but that's what I think will happen.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

02-26-2009, 06:14 AM

multiple entry visas and multiple re-entry permits are two different things. if you have a multiple re-entry permit or a valid single re-entry permit, you don't need to do anything. however pls check to make sure that your visa doesn't say "multiple entry visa". a "multiple re-entry visa" i have never heard of.

in practise you need a re-entry permit if you wish to leave japan and come back with the same status (provided this is anything else but a short-term visitors' visa (短期滞在). you get a re-entry permit from the immigration authorities, for instance in shinagawa, tokyo or an immigraiton office in your region. 4,000 yen for a single re-entry permit or 6,000 yen for a multiple re-entry permit. re-entry permit is called 入国許可) (nyukoku kyoka)

now, and this is not very well known, not even to the authorities themselves. several countries have bilateral visa-agreements with japan explicitly stating that the visa shall be valid throughout the period without any additional permits. you will still have to give up your alien registration card, but in theory immigration officers shall not annul or nullify your visa. i've managed this once and failed once. had to get an emergency re-entry permit.

so why do the japanese have a visa called re-entry visa if you need to get an additional permit? excellent question. contact the US embassy or the EU delegation here in japan and I am sure that they will be just as frustrated as all the other foreigners in japan. however japan call this a service so we don't need to get a new visa every time we leave japan.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ