JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

I can't find a way to purchase Shinkansen Tickets. - 03-03-2009, 01:34 AM

OK, so I have a problem. I'll get back to Japan on March 27th and then head to Kyoto on the 30th. I'm going to stay for about 2-3 days then I need to take a Shinkansen back to Tokyo. However, I do not want to take Nozomi, I want to take the Kodomo or Hikari trains no matter what since they are cheap and I have alot of time to kill. I am also not eligible for a JR pass since I will be in Japan for 4 months. How do I buy a kodomo/hikari shinkansen ticket over the internet? Because I don't feel comfortable waiting till a few days before I leave Kyoto to buy one. I'm really nervous because I don't want to end up stuck in Kyoto with no place to stay since I couldn't get a return train ticket to Tokyo.

Thanks for any help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-03-2009, 01:52 AM

It is Kodama, not Kodomo. The price difference between the three lines is pretty minor. Most people take the Kodama or Hikari if they want to get off at a more minor station. The shinkansen runs several times an hour, and at this time of year I can't imagine the trains being sold out. Most people buy their tickets with cash at the ticket counter, and if one train is full (a rarity) the next train leaves 10 minutes later. There is no chance of you getting stuck in Kyoto for more and an hour, so you have nothing to worry about.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

03-03-2009, 02:29 AM

I've never purchased a shinkansen ticket so I'm pretty suprised to hear trains leave every 10 minutes. I thought they had to keep a minimum of two hours between trains to keep the rails open.

So I can go to the shinkansen station in Kyoto and then just buy a return ticket there and there should be space? I'm just worrying because during the New Years trying to get a ticket was impossible.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-03-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reutte View Post
I've never purchased a shinkansen ticket so I'm pretty suprised to hear trains leave every 10 minutes. I thought they had to keep a minimum of two hours between trains to keep the rails open.

So I can go to the shinkansen station in Kyoto and then just buy a return ticket there and there should be space? I'm just worrying because during the New Years trying to get a ticket was impossible.
Yes, you can just go to the station and pick up a ticket. I imagine Golden Week and New Year's might be more difficult. When you buy your ticket on the 30th buy your return ticket at the same time (it's cheaper) The Hikari from Tokyo to Kyoto runs every 30 minutes (12:03, 12:33, 1:03, 1:33, etc.)
Nozomi runs every 10 minutes or less from Tokyo, and there are 10 Nozomi trains between noon and 1:13 on March 27.

Shinkansen Timetable - Schedule
(#5 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

03-03-2009, 04:35 AM

the price for hikari and nozomi isn't that the same??

there is a special price if you care to ride the kodama, if i remember correctly it was 10,000 plus tax or perhaps 9,900 plus tax, one drink included. economy plan i think it is called. i seem to remember though that there are a limited number of those tickets on each kodama train though.

u can buy them online here yes, i know it is only in japanese, ....and i yes i know it is a hassle to buy online using that site.
you can also buy them at JR Toukai Tours or at JTB

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-03-2009, 06:12 AM

Do as MMM said and just buy a ticket at the station before you leave. I have never had a problem getting a seat on the Shinkansen, even when buying my tickets at the last moment. If you are still worried, you can buy your tickets a day or two beforehand. At worst, you may not be able to get a reserved seat, and non-reserved seats are first-come first-served, so get to the station early.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

03-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Yeah, when I get to Kyoto, I'll buy my return ticket then. I know some Japanese so I will probably be able to figure it out.

Is there a place where I can check out what the prices are since I will have to have cash already prepared?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-04-2009, 10:46 PM

Enter the station name

This is helpful