JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nightops (Offline)
New to JF

Trip Advice for first timer - 03-13-2009, 02:05 PM

I've been visiting the site for a few weeks now and trying to piece together a basic day planner for my trip to Japan from 28 March to 11 April. I've already seen a lot of posts for trips in this timeframe and have pulled a good bit of info from them. I've still have a few questions that I'm looking for help with.

1. I'm flying in to Osaka and looking to spend most of my time in the Kansai area. I'm thinking about taking day trips to Himeji, Koyasan, Nara, and Igu Ueno and spending a day at each place. Is there more to see in these places then what one day will allow? I was planning to take the day trips from Kyoto but looking at their location on a map, I might be better off staying in Osaka for each of these day trips before moving to Kyoto. Any suggetions on which city would be easier to travel from?

2. There is a lot of stuff about the JR pass, but should I be looking for the JR west Kansai area pass for the 4 days I make these day trips or is there a 7 day rail pass that I could/should get if I stay in Osaka for 6 days (including day trips) and then on the 7th, go to Kyoto for 3-4 days.

3. Do I have to buy these JR passes before going to Japan (by internet would be my only option) and then exchange them at a station once I arrive? I saw something on the 14day pass about it not being sold in country? I havent had a lot of time to look at all the stuff for the above mentioned JR west Kansai pass mentioned above.

4. I'm going to try to get to Tokyo and spend 4 days there with at least one of those days going to Kamakura. Is there any other places outside of Tokyo that I should look into visiting? For the first trip, I'd rather spend time on culture and history then on nightlife so I should be ok with 2 or 3 days for just Tokyo.

Any and all help is really appriciated because my free time to plan is really really limited.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-13-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightops View Post
I've been visiting the site for a few weeks now and trying to piece together a basic day planner for my trip to Japan from 28 March to 11 April. I've already seen a lot of posts for trips in this timeframe and have pulled a good bit of info from them. I've still have a few questions that I'm looking for help with.

1. I'm flying in to Osaka and looking to spend most of my time in the Kansai area. I'm thinking about taking day trips to Himeji, Koyasan, Nara, and Igu Ueno and spending a day at each place. Is there more to see in these places then what one day will allow? I was planning to take the day trips from Kyoto but looking at their location on a map, I might be better off staying in Osaka for each of these day trips before moving to Kyoto. Any suggetions on which city would be easier to travel from?

2. There is a lot of stuff about the JR pass, but should I be looking for the JR west Kansai area pass for the 4 days I make these day trips or is there a 7 day rail pass that I could/should get if I stay in Osaka for 6 days (including day trips) and then on the 7th, go to Kyoto for 3-4 days.

3. Do I have to buy these JR passes before going to Japan (by internet would be my only option) and then exchange them at a station once I arrive? I saw something on the 14day pass about it not being sold in country? I havent had a lot of time to look at all the stuff for the above mentioned JR west Kansai pass mentioned above.

4. I'm going to try to get to Tokyo and spend 4 days there with at least one of those days going to Kamakura. Is there any other places outside of Tokyo that I should look into visiting? For the first trip, I'd rather spend time on culture and history then on nightlife so I should be ok with 2 or 3 days for just Tokyo.

Any and all help is really appriciated because my free time to plan is really really limited.
As long as you stay in the Kansai area, you don't need the JR Rail pass. A more limited Kansai region version that is significantly cheaper may be helpful, but I don't know enough about it to say.

Osaka is a better hub for Himeji, Nara, and Koyasan.

Honestly, the cost involved in getting all the way to Tokyo probably just isn't worth it. Why not spend the time and money in the Kansai area (and maybe a little beyond, such as Kanazawa, Takayama, and Kamikochi) rather than Tokyo, and then visit the Tokyo/Kanto area next time you visit?

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
As long as you stay in the Kansai area, you don't need the JR Rail pass. A more limited Kansai region version that is significantly cheaper may be helpful, but I don't know enough about it to say.

Osaka is a better hub for Himeji, Nara, and Koyasan.

Honestly, the cost involved in getting all the way to Tokyo probably just isn't worth it. Why not spend the time and money in the Kansai area (and maybe a little beyond, such as Kanazawa, Takayama, and Kamikochi) rather than Tokyo, and then visit the Tokyo/Kanto area next time you visit?
The trip from Osaka to and Himeji is going to cost you around USD$40 (Round trip).

Start you planning base on what you want to see. Then we can work our way back. RIght now you just have too many open options. The reason I said that is that we need ot understand what is a must see, then decide if getting a JR pass and going to tokyo is worthwhile Definitely if you are going to be traveling between Tokyo and Kyoto, the pass it the way to go, but if there is no need to travel to Tokyo then thats a different story

Between Osaka and Kyoto, your best bet is to pay for local transportation, and purchase the Raku pass when you are in Kyoto
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-14-2009, 02:35 AM

I think adding Tokyo is too much. For some reason people feel like they haven't been to "Japan" unless they go to "Tokyo". That is like saying you haven't seen America unless you go to Los Angeles. Tokyo is great, and has a lot to offer, but I'd stick to Kansai. I am in Kansai on vacation for two weeks right now, and will be traveling a bit like you, but am not going to spend the money to go to Tokyo when I can find most of the same things in Osaka, etc.

You will be here for perfect timing to do Hanami. Himeji Castle is great for that, and there are lots of places in Osaka and Kyoto, as well. Make that a central theme for your trip.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-14-2009, 03:25 AM

Tokyo is great... But you can get the same, if not better, "Tokyo sensation" in Osaka-- not to mention the money you would save from the JR pass.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-14-2009, 03:49 AM

Just to pipe in that the JR Pass is only available outside Japan.

I would agree with above posters, I decided against grabbing one prior to coming here.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nightops (Offline)
New to JF

03-20-2009, 03:41 PM

I looked into Kamikochi a bit and I would enjoy hiking in the area however it says it doesnt open until April 23rd on guide. Does that 'open season' just mean the hotels or is the whole park area closed?

Has anyone hiked the trail between Magome & Tsumago? Do you think it would be crowded during the Sakura Season?

Is anyone a Sumo Fan? I saw another post about the tournaments which will be in Osaka during March but my first full day in Osaka is on the 29th which is the last day of the tournament... Does the final day usually sell out?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-20-2009, 10:42 PM

In regards to Sumo it will probably sell out. Halls aren't that large

Be advised even the nosebleed seats will run aprox $100, it's pricey.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
03-21-2009, 05:09 PM

ahaha every one i meet from Osaka says it better, every one from Tokyo think tokyo's better.

Its a riot when my osaka friends come to tokyo to visit

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-22-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
ahaha every one i meet from Osaka says it better, every one from Tokyo think tokyo's better.

Its a riot when my osaka friends come to tokyo to visit
I wouldn't say Osaka is better than Tokyo...I like Tokyo a lot...but even for me on my trip now, I can see everything I want without spending a few hundred bucks on a round trip to Tokyo.