JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Califer (Offline)
New to JF

Japan June/July 2009 - 04-01-2009, 10:17 AM

Hi there!

I'm going to Japan for this summer as a graduation gift. Though I think I know the basics of Japanese culture, this might be the once in a life time chance for me to go to Japan so I want it to be perfect ^__^”

So, the plan is to go for around 3 weeks. First week I’ll stay in Tokyo and around. I also want to stay 2 days in Nikko to visit Edo Wonderland and Nikko itself and for the weekend the plan is to climb Mt. Fuji. My dad thinks it’s best to use 3 days for that one, one for arriving, one for climbing and one for recovering. The second week I’ll go to Kyoto~ And from Kyoto one day to Hiroshima en Osaka. I have one week left, so I think I’ll stay a bit longer in Kyoto and end the trip with the last few days in Tokyo. I’m a big Disney fan, so Disney Land is an absolute MUST-SEE. I’ve also heard a few this about Ueno and ninja’s. Though I’m not a huge ninja fan (I’m more of a samurai fan ;D) it does seem very interesting.

Question is, is this a good planning? I have a list with must-sees for Tokyo/Kyoto and around. The thing just is that I’ll stay in a hotel in Tokyo/Kyoto, because I think it will be to much trouble to keep moving from hotel to hotel and I’m not really up for that. Are there any must-sees that I MUST SEE?! :’3 Please tell me, I want to see as much of Japan as possible.

Also, some practical questions. If I buy something in Japan, is it expensive to send it to the Netherlands or just out of Japan? Because I’m planning to buy a lot (I’m saving up money for like a year) and I don’t want to carry more than I already have to carry –lazy—More important, how do I pay?! Should I have some yen with me when I come to Japan or should I exchange aaaaaall my money to yens?! How difficult is it so exchange money and such :0

Well, since I’m going with my dad it’s going to be awkward if I want to go out. A friend of mine moved to Japan 2 years ago but won’t be around when I’m there. Is it difficult to make new friends, because I do want to go out in Japan and I don’t really want to drag my dad >__>
Hm, is it safe enough to go shopping alone in Harajuku/Shinjuku? x’D

Well, this is it for now. Hope someone can help me :’3

-- Kim
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-01-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califer View Post
Hi there!

I'm going to Japan for this summer as a graduation gift. Though I think I know the basics of Japanese culture, this might be the once in a life time chance for me to go to Japan so I want it to be perfect ^__^”

So, the plan is to go for around 3 weeks. First week I’ll stay in Tokyo and around. I also want to stay 2 days in Nikko to visit Edo Wonderland and Nikko itself and for the weekend the plan is to climb Mt. Fuji. My dad thinks it’s best to use 3 days for that one, one for arriving, one for climbing and one for recovering. The second week I’ll go to Kyoto~ And from Kyoto one day to Hiroshima en Osaka. I have one week left, so I think I’ll stay a bit longer in Kyoto and end the trip with the last few days in Tokyo. I’m a big Disney fan, so Disney Land is an absolute MUST-SEE. I’ve also heard a few this about Ueno and ninja’s. Though I’m not a huge ninja fan (I’m more of a samurai fan ;D) it does seem very interesting.

Question is, is this a good planning? I have a list with must-sees for Tokyo/Kyoto and around. The thing just is that I’ll stay in a hotel in Tokyo/Kyoto, because I think it will be to much trouble to keep moving from hotel to hotel and I’m not really up for that. Are there any must-sees that I MUST SEE?! :’3 Please tell me, I want to see as much of Japan as possible.

Also, some practical questions. If I buy something in Japan, is it expensive to send it to the Netherlands or just out of Japan? Because I’m planning to buy a lot (I’m saving up money for like a year) and I don’t want to carry more than I already have to carry –lazy—More important, how do I pay?! Should I have some yen with me when I come to Japan or should I exchange aaaaaall my money to yens?! How difficult is it so exchange money and such :0

Well, since I’m going with my dad it’s going to be awkward if I want to go out. A friend of mine moved to Japan 2 years ago but won’t be around when I’m there. Is it difficult to make new friends, because I do want to go out in Japan and I don’t really want to drag my dad >__>
Hm, is it safe enough to go shopping alone in Harajuku/Shinjuku? x’D

Well, this is it for now. Hope someone can help me :’3

-- Kim
Hello Kim

Congratulation on your graduation. And most important, congratulation on an upcoming fabulous trip

1 week in tokyo should be enough. What do you want to see in Tokyo? I would recommend spending at least 1 day in Yokohama, which in my opinion is better than Tokyo. There is China Town and the Ramen Museum that you can visit there. And the landmark tower

If you are going to Mt Fuji, do go form Hakone, this will let you take the rope way to Lake Ashi, as well as access to the fabulous onsen resort town of Yumoto

For 3 weeks, you can do a lot. You may find it more practical to spend a little bit of extra time in Kensai region. There is quite a bit to see. Miyajima is one, Himeji is another one. And since you are there, why not drop by Kobe and treat yourself to a nice kobe beef dinne? Kyoto can easily be covered in 3 days, at most 4. That will also give you Nara and Fushimi Inari. Osaka is great for food, but it may only last you about 4 days including the great Kaiyukan (Osaka Aquarium). All In all, I say about 9 days in Kensai may be enough, unless you want to visit the food stall (Yatai) in Hakata (Fukuoka), which will add 2 days including traveling

Tokyo. Well, to some Daiba is a day trip, some prefer 2 days. You can probebly do Akihabara, Asakusa, Harajuku, Shinjuku and Shibuya in 3 days. Another day for Ginza, Roppongi Hills and area. 1 day for kamakura, 1 day for Yokohama, 1 day in Nikko. 3 days for Hakone/Fuji. Roughly around 10 days total in Tokyo and area. That should still leave you some time to go visit Disney and such.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Califer (Offline)
New to JF

04-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks, my graduation was 2 years ago though xD

Woah thats very helpful, but my dads only going to buy Railpass for 2 weeks because it's so expensive. But what you're saying is I might spend to much time in Kyoto? I don't understand what you mean by Kensei region :0
I was thinking of visiting Himeji and such, but can't that be done while staying in Kyoto? I'm thinking about all the traveling from hotel to hotel, I want to do that as little as possible.

I also want to see the sumo, but I believe you can't watch the sumo training during the season I'm visiting so thats too bad. My dad also wants to see the beaches, but except Okinawa I didn't find any nice beaches and Okinawa is good enough for a whole vacation alone so thats not going to happen :3
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-01-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califer View Post
Thanks, my graduation was 2 years ago though xD

Woah thats very helpful, but my dads only going to buy Railpass for 2 weeks because it's so expensive. But what you're saying is I might spend to much time in Kyoto? I don't understand what you mean by Kensei region :0
I was thinking of visiting Himeji and such, but can't that be done while staying in Kyoto? I'm thinking about all the traveling from hotel to hotel, I want to do that as little as possible.

I also want to see the sumo, but I believe you can't watch the sumo training during the season I'm visiting so thats too bad. My dad also wants to see the beaches, but except Okinawa I didn't find any nice beaches and Okinawa is good enough for a whole vacation alone so thats not going to happen :3
kensai region is basically the Kyoto, Osaka, and anything west of it. I am saying that you may need 9 days in that region, depending on what you want to see. Miyajima is nice, but can be skipped. If you are to see the Osaka Castle then maybe you can skip Himeji. So assuming we skip those 2, you will only need about 7 days in Kensai. But if you want to go to Miyajima and Himeji, then you really need 2 extra days.

Again, to really recommend somethng, we need to know what your interests are

Okinawa is too far for you. But Atami also got some nice beach, though I won't recommend swimming there though.

Not familiar with the sumo scene, so i can't offer any help there.

Have a look at japan-guide.com - Japan Travel and Living Guide it offers quite a bit of information for you to consider
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Califer (Offline)
New to JF

04-01-2009, 05:12 PM

Well, I don't really have special interest I think. I just want so explore the culture, have some fun, go shopping. I love anime/manga so that's nice too, it's more that I want to see all the hot spots and such and get a good al-over idea. I've studies history for 2 years and I'm going to study Animation the upcoming year, that might help. I really wanted to visit Himeji, but I don't unsterstand what's best to do with hotels. Isn't staying in Kyoto a good central for visiting the Kensei area of should I really travel around? :0
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-01-2009, 05:42 PM

The central spot of Kansai is Osaka. If you are interested in anime and manga you will want to see the Osaku Tezuka Memorial Museum in Takarazuka (a quick walk from JR and Hankyu Takarazuka stations). Also Akihabara in Tokyo will be a must-see.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-01-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The central spot of Kansai is Osaka. If you are interested in anime and manga you will want to see the Osaku Tezuka Memorial Museum in Takarazuka (a quick walk from JR and Hankyu Takarazuka stations). Also Akihabara in Tokyo will be a must-see.
Oh, I didn't know of this museum! Something new to me too
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-01-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Oh, I didn't know of this museum! Something new to me too
I went there a couple weeks ago. It is compact, but very cool.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Califer (Offline)
New to JF

04-02-2009, 09:25 AM

Nice, is that where that big Toriyama illustration of Goku on a motercycle is? :'D
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I went there a couple weeks ago. It is compact, but very cool.
Nice. I will keep that in my notes when i go there this year. My plans changed to 1 full month

Any entrance fee for the museum?

Califer, more reason for you to stay in Kensai